home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Parents and Children  Hop To Forums  Child and Teen Actors, Singers, and Dancers    Do you know any good overnight acting camp in CA?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know any good overnight acting camp in CA? Login/Join

posted
I have 11 year old girl who just started and i'm looking for good acting overnight camp in California for young actors
any info, review,will help me out a lot Wink
Thank you

Posts: 7 | Location: Pasadena | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
Picture of Trillian
posted Hide Post
Why overnight?

Posts: 115 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I think she is from out of state, so sending the child to a camp for a week (even and expensive one) is cheaper than taking a week off from work and renting a hotel for a day camp.

Posts: 112 | Location: Gulf Coast | Registered: September 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
Picture of Trillian
posted Hide Post
I hope no one sends an 11 year old girl to another state for an overnight acting camp.

Posts: 115 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is It too early to send overnight camp?
we live in Pasadena CA but i was thinking It's time to have overnight camp experience for the first time and since she is in acting business it's a good idea going acting camp
but I want to avoid there's some camp that only wants to take money so i like to find some review about acting camp

Posts: 7 | Location: Pasadena | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
Picture of Trillian
posted Hide Post
It's fine if you trust the organization behind it, and all the people around it. I would trust people at the Space Camp held by the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Alabama since the 80s. I would trust no one in Hollywood. No one.

Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
My kids have gone to sleep away camp at that age (younger actually) but it was scout/horse/etc. not acting related.

Make sure whatever camp you choose, acting or not, is accredited with the American Camping Association (ACA). That will guarantee a level of safety and other standards that are met. My fear would be that an acting camp may be established outside those normal "camp" channels. Lots of shady stuff in the biz...lots of shady people.

Camps like Interlochen & Stagedoor Manor are well established and have had years of success. California has CSSSA (California State Summer School for the Arts) through Cal Arts, but it's for high schoolers.

I have come accross ads for this one, but know NOTHING about it. However I like that parent can come with so it seems safer that way:

http://www.theactingcamp.com

This one has its supporters and detractors, but it is ACA accredited:

http://www.ypshollywoodbootcamp.com/

I am sure there are more

Posts: 589 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's different in CA but people here in NY send kids to sleepaway camp from 7 yo sometimes. French Woods is one of the best. I wouldn't do it so young but that is the age they start. This is not just acting camp but all sleep aways. I wouldn't send my child so young but many do. By 10 definitely. These are expensive places and highly recommended. I know it seems to be different out West but on our coast kids are off to sleep away camp if the parents can afford it and the kids are confident enough to go. They all seem to LOVE it.

Posts: 531 | Location: New York | Registered: June 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you sooooo~ much for all your info
and yes I will double triple check before i send my kid
and backstage forum always help me a lot and
you guys rock!!
and I also will share how was the camp story if I send her one Wink

Denzel Washington
Picture of Trillian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NYCGAL:
Maybe it's different in CA but people here in NY send kids to sleepaway camp from 7 yo sometimes. French Woods is one of the best. I wouldn't do it so young but that is the age they start. This is not just acting camp but all sleep aways. I wouldn't send my child so young but many do. By 10 definitely. These are expensive places and highly recommended. I know it seems to be different out West but on our coast kids are off to sleep away camp if the parents can afford it and the kids are confident enough to go. They all seem to LOVE it.

NYCGAL, it's not a problem with sleepover camps, it's a problem I personally have with parents trusting people in Hollywood. I've seen all kinds of people in Hollywood... there's a reason why it's dubbed "Hollyweird". Sending out a kid means not only trusting the organizers, but also means the kid is likely to find himself/herself around one or more weirdos without your orientation.

There's the personal issue of not being there to give the kid your point of view on specific things. But there's also the collective issue that Hollywood is not really a safe environment for kids, and the more parents believe that they can still trust things like sleepover camps inside this industry, the more socially acceptable that situation becomes. I think we're still a long way from what it should be - where you could send your kid to an acting camp in Hollywood like you could send him/her to a soccer camp for instance.

The other day, at an audition in Los Angeles, the CD was upset because there was a kid without the parent (who went out to feed the parking meter or something). The CD was lecturing all parents present. You'd think this CD was being a pain on everybody's neck for no good reason... Maybe so. But that might be just because that CD has seen enough to get upset at parents that take things for granted.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
There is a sleepaway/day camp in Idyllwild called Idyllwild Arts. Not Hollywood and probably not a "professional" acting camp either...but maybe good if the camp is geared towards fun and being around kids with other interests. Idyllwild is about 3 hours Southeast of Pasadena. Dd has not attended but I've looked up the program a few times, they have art camp programs for families too.

Posts: 34 | Location: Los Angeles/ Orange County | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
Trillian I understand what you are saying. Honestly I would send my child to French Woods or Stagedoor Manor. They are highly respected and I wouldn't be surprised if kids from CA actually came all the way here to go there. Go take a look at FW website. They come from all over the country and very safe. You just need money. I know someone from LA who sends his kids to camp in Maine every summer. Costs a bloody fortune.

Posts: 531 | Location: New York | Registered: June 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
Picture of Trillian
posted Hide Post
Yes, all those are not in Hollywood.

Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
Yes I know - I got off topic. The OP said CA not Hollywood. I assumed she wanted an acting camp located in CA and not specifically Hollywood. Where would they put a camp in Hollywood anyway - just sayin. Most camps are in park like settings even if they focus on acting or any other activity.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Stagedoor Manor

Check out this article from the NY Times. SHould help.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07....html?pagewanted=all

Posts: 2 | Location: New York | Registered: July 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post