home subscribe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to this.... Login/Join

posted
I have a question for all of you, how hard is it to get a seven year old into acting? She has done improv with thejoycamp but nothing more. We have two friends who are in acting with Reign, Osbrink, and TalentWorks. I don't like bugging them! I have only submitted to a couple places so far. I am not sure if I am submitting right?!? Thanks for all your help!

Posts: 5 | Location: Victorville | Registered: June 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I can offer up what I did. I sent 4 photos of my DC (full body, close up, different hair, etc) to managers and agents all in one big mailing. On the back was name, age, height, weight and clothing size. Send a very short cover letter with your basic info and state that you are seeking representation (Maybe 3-4 lines) with your contact info. My DC now has a manager. My child is 7, like your child. No acting classes etc. We were called and asked to sing (untrained) and read lines. They also get a feel by just speaking to your child and asking questions. If they think they can get your child work they will invite you on the spot to join. Good luck!

Posts: 52 | Location: New York City  | Registered: February 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ohmpeace is correct!
Look for managers/agents as much as you can. Send in all of your daughter's experience, info, and description. The will interview her, ask her to read a commercial, and most likely, ask her to sing.
Most younger children have a good chance at representation since they are short, (which means they have the chance to play young roles as well as older), and if they have talent, they can be extremely profitable for an agent or manager.
Good luck on your search!!!

Posts: 12 | Location: United States | Registered: February 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
I took an entirely different approach to this. My kid started out with school plays. But there was so much politics and teachers favorites that we branched out to community theater. DS was an instant hit with a writers group and several acting companies that helped him get his feet wet. We then self submitted to student and independent short films. He then started taking standup/improv classes. After a good start to a resume a family friend agreed to take him on as a manager. The kid landed his first FF and costar TV roles in a short amount of time.
I believe in first gathering a respectable resume then seeking representation. Most agent and managers will not take you on without first proving you are bookable. Those that do either have complete faith or use the shotgun approach to clientele. YMMV.

Posts: 540 | Location: Cortlandt Manor, NY | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ohmpeace, Hannah151398, and DadinWestchester, may I ask what agencies or managers your children currently use. I have a stack of agencies that I am sending her headshot and cover letter too. Thank you all for your help! Smiler

Posts: 5 | Location: Victorville | Registered: June 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
So far the people who have weighed in are from the East coast. I will weigh in on West Coast agencies.

First the ones you mention...Talentworks is not known for kids at all. Not sure if they even handle a few. Reign handles a few better known kids but I wouldn't go there as a beginner. Osbrink is great. Others I would submit to as a "newbie" include Coast to Coast, Abrams, CESD, Greene & Associates and AKA. That's where I would start.

Also, at that age I would try to get some professional headshots and make up a starter resume. If you have no credits it can include stats, skills (can she play piano, soccer, ride a horse?) and training (you said Joycamp is that a camp through Joy Theatre? They are great, you can also put dance lessons, etc). These things show you are ready to make a commitment to play in the big leagues because at age 7 in LA there are kids with union membership and long resumes already. Start submitting to student films at the good schools (UCLA grad films, USC, Chapman, AFI) on LA Casting (www.lacasting.com) and Actors Access (www.actorsaccess.com). Being on those sites will also show you are ready to go pro.

Good luck!

Posts: 594 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
As for resume first vs rep first... Both are valid paths. I think at age seven, most agents will take a kid w/o much of a resume, and here is LA they (unfortunately) don't usually care if you've done a lot of theatre, they don't value it much. If your kids loves it (one of mine does) then by all means do it. But one of my kids hates performing in front of an audience live and that kid has had a lot of success on camera. Everyone has their own path.

Posts: 594 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all your help mom2enr. Have you heard much about HRi talent??

Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
HRI was started by a former LA Models agent and that speaks to their strengths. More for print/commercial than theatrical (what we on the west coast call tv and film). It's legit, but more known for adults, not a power player in the kids world. I might consider it if I had no luck submitting to the agencies listed above.

posted Hide Post
I have about six places that I am submitting to. I hope she can get her foot in the door somehow.

Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
Feel free to PM me if you want more details/clarification about anything I have said!

Good luck!