Notify
Tools

TEENS GETTING STARTED Login/Join

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Bump for St. Patty's Day! Big Grin

- MIB -
"If you can dream, you can do. Making it happen is up to you!"

Posts: 754 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
HAPPY SPRING!

- MIB -

Posts: 754 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
BUMP!

Posts: 15 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Phew! Wow, that was some reading!

You gave so many information and after reading it, I've learned so much! Don't worry, I'll watch out for those scammers! I swear, if I meet an "agent" and he tells me to pay money up-front, I will hit him on the head with my shoe and say "ARE YOU NUTS?!" Well, maybe a little less angry. Big Grin

But anyway, thank you so much for this. I'm gonna print it out and keep it in a safe place just in case I might need it.

you are the COOLEST you deserve a smiley face!

here you go... Smiler

yay!

Posts: 1 | Location: new york city | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the smiley face, Roxxi!
I'm glad you found the reading helpful. Use it as a check list. Hopefully, you'll do as much of the suggested reading as possible to help answer your questions. Since you are currently in NY, one to be sure to read is
An Actor's Guide-Making It in New York by Glenn Alterman - one of New York's best actor's resource. http://www.glennalterman.com/books.htm

- MIB -

posted Hide Post
wow thanks Mominbiz. there are alot of helpful information here. Big Grin

Posts: 3 | Location: New York City | Registered: April 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
You're very welcome, Ecrao! Smiler

- MIB -

Picture of Missie
posted Hide Post
Hey Mominbiz, I am new to this message board but that post was the best, that is really nice of you to take the time to help other people. Thank you for being so caring, and I wish you tons of luck!

Missie

Posts: 1 | Location: PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Hi, Missie and welcome to the board!

Thank you for your kind words and I'm so glad you liked this thread. I was once a newbie mom of a child actor and a filmmaker myself, even though I grew up in the biz with my dad in the industry all his life. I learned a lot as a child and when my own children showed an interest, we were doing it all on our own, no internet, no one to ask for help (my dad was elderly and all his connections had passed on), but I had the foundation of staying grounded and taking it one step at a time. As my son started performing professionally, we were so very grateful to have so many caring industry professionals guide us in the right direction. After spending months researching (which still never ends) and countless hours on the phone (still no internet), I always knew that someday, I wanted to give back any little way I could, helping other newbies.

I may not have all the answers, as I still continue to learn as this industry grows and changes with progress, but I know the basics and enjoy helping others when I can.

Enjoy the board and be sure to check out the other links for child actor parents on DelphiForums http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=dp-entertain&nav=index - scroll to Professional Actors Resource Forum known as the PARF board and also scroll to East Coast Actors and Models. Be sure to check out www.bizparentz.com Even though it's based in LA, it still has a lot of excellent information for both coasts.

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
*Bump*

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Here is the updated link for NY work permits and trust accounts.

http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workerprotection/laborstan...ure/child_index.shtm

- MIB -

posted Hide Post
Wow, what a plethora of information! Glad to see "An Actor's Guide - Making It in New York City" on the list - one of the most helpful books I've ever bought.

But anywho - My name's Jewelia. I've been in NY since October and I'm a student at a Musical Theatre Conservatory here. I've been VERY active in community theatre since I was six. I was so luck to have lived in a city that was so artsy and had so many different community theatres. I've been in over 45 musicals and plays - no joke. I've done a few student films, a couple local commercials, some background work in t.v. and film, Private voice from 3 separate teachers, lots and lots and lots of acting classes, summer theatre camps, etc., Plus I graduated from a performing arts highschool. Sounds like a lot, right? Well, then how come I get to New York and all of the sudden I feel 10 years and 20 credits behind everyone else? LoL. There is this huge gap between community stuff and the professional world. I'm just not sure what that gap is made of. I left feeling about as prepared for this as I could have, but suddenly I'm having to re-do my resume and I realize I have to delete 90% of it because it's irrelevant here. I feel like the last thirteen years of my life have been a waste because no one cares about what I did back home - and now I have to start over. But the problem is that having zero professional experience makes is near impossible to get professional experience. And no agent wants to take on anyone without being confident that they'll bring in work. I'd say Catch - 22, huh? So basically, I'm feeling a little stuck and a little lost. Help? Suggestions?

Thanks,
~Jewelia

Posts: 2 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: February 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Jewelia,
You may want to re-post this in the "Start Here" forum. It will be much more visible. There are a lot of NY actors on this board, Im sure they have a lot of helpful info but they may not see your questian at the end of such a long thread. Good Luck With All!

Posts: 15 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahh. Thanks =D

Posts: 2 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: February 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
*BUMP*

- MIB -