New
Find
Notify
Tools

TEENS GETTING STARTED Login/Join

Denzel Washington
Picture of momactress
posted Hide Post
September "bump"...MUST READ for newbies!

Posts: 19 | Location: NY | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anta:
this is good. it's soooo informative THANK YOUUU
You're welcome, Anta. So glad you found it helpful. Smiler

- MIB -
"If you can dream, you can do. Making it happen is up to you!"

Posts: 855 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
this is so good u r so smart in this businness

Posts: 3 | Location: New York | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
*Haunting BUMP* ooooooooooooooooooooooo Eeker

- MIB -

Posts: 855 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Time for an updated bump! Big Grin

Thanks for making it possible, Tomster! Big Grin

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

- MIB -

Denzel Washington
Picture of momactress
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 19 | Location: NY | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool. this thread is helping some of my questions. im almost 16, and tho i have wanted to act for yearS now, have yet to even be in a play!!! but i KNOW i can do it, im that type of person.
i just have a question, maybe im not the only one in this situation.
I live in NY,and tho my parents think its 'cute' that i want to act, basically they laugh at me.
So until im 18,i have to follow their rules,and they dont want to get me an agent, or let me try out for commercials,short films, or any of the zillion opportuinities in NY.
they just say i can try out for plays. i guess thats ok, even tho id rather be in front of a camera.
but most places here, want you to SING,cuz its mostly musicals.and well, i cant sing! im kinda stuck, cuz im getting kinda old,to not have been in anything yet, and i really want experience. plus im homeschooled, ,so no drama club or anything.and they dont have any acting schools in my town. where should i be going from here???

Posts: 1 | Location: NY/CT | Registered: December 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Dear, I was homeschooled my whole life. Don't talk about not having any opportunities. Go try out for plays and musicals (they'll put you in the chorous; and it's one more title on your resume.) at the local highschools.

Go to a community college, and start taking PSEO classes in theatre. Community colleges all have their own shows too.

Do a google search for local theatre companies in your area. Start preforming in those to get some experience.

Oh, and take voice lessons. Dance classes. Read classic literature and history books. Learn about famous playwrights, plays, scripts, etc...
This is the time when you should be learning. Once you're out on your own, you'll be glad to have every bit of training and education that you can get.

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
The good news is, from what I've experienced with my son, once your daughter has graduated from high school and she's not yet 18, she doesn't need to be emancipated to work without you on a film or television project. Besides, the emancipation process is a pain!!! Don't bother if it's not absolutely necessary.

Anyway, I know so many students that have gone away to college who were not yet 18 and were able to get various jobs without their parent's signature. I know each state has its own set of rules, but for working in film or TV, she shouldn't have a problem. Now, if it's an Equity production, that might be a little different until she turns 18. Just call the AEA office if that should be the case. They are very helpful.

This is insanely helpful. I'll be 17 at the beginning of February, and I'm moving out two weeks later. I've been worrying and fussing, and thinking of emancipation becuase I wasn't sure about acting jobs. But. I've already graduated, so that's good to know!
Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Myonlybreak18
posted Hide Post
mib,I know you probably have heard this so many times but this is very helpful. I am new to all of this and just reading this makes me feel like I know what I am doing. I am only 15 and beginning my career. Thanks for the advice and defintely use them/

Posts: 2 | Location: new york | Registered: December 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
You're very welcome, Ibimus and Myonlybreak!

I'm only too happy when this thread helps in some small way. Your comments and suggestions are also helpful, so thank you for contibuting, too. Smiler

Happy New Year! Big Grin

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
*Bump*

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Updated Bump!

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
*First of the month BUMP*

- MIB -