Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TEENS GETTING STARTED Login/Join

posted Hide Post
That was some really great advice. Im 15 and i want to pursue a career in musical theatre. its the only place i can see myself being. However, i have never really done anything about it. I perform in community theatres and such and i think i have finally reached my parents about being serious about this. Anyway, thanks so much for the advice. It really gave me a great point of view. Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Location: NJ | Registered: June 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old_diva:
Thank you for taking the time to give so much info. It is very helpful. I have a question for you. My daughter is 16 right now but will be 17 in May. She will graduate from high school two weeks later. She will be going off to college shortly therafter and I know she will want to start looking for work where ever she ends up. Unfortunately I will not be with her. She will not be able to sign for herself for ANYTHING, not hospital emergencies, not any kind of contracting for work or otherwise. She has done quite a few short or educatioal films in CT.but I was able to go with her. (we live in Rhode Island) I thought it would be helpful since she will be done with high school, for me to let her file to be emancipated but can't find an attorney in my state that knows about it or is willing to help me. One even asked me why I would want my child to be a ward of the state! I know my stat is small but come on???! Do you have any ideas? My daughter will be in school in either Ca. or Nashville. Should I just wait to find out what state she'll be in and try to file there? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Oh my, I still have so much to catch up on. So sorry for the delay.

The good news is, from what I've experienced with my son, once your daughter has graduated from high school and she's not yet 18, she doesn't need to be emancipated to work without you on a film or television project. Besides, the emancipation process is a pain!!! Don't bother if it's not absolutely necessary.

Anyway, I know so many students that have gone away to college who were not yet 18 and were able to get various jobs without their parent's signature. I know each state has its own set of rules, but for working in film or TV, she shouldn't have a problem. Now, if it's an Equity production, that might be a little different until she turns 18. Just call the AEA office if that should be the case. They are very helpful.

Hope this helped, even though it's a little late.

quote:
Originally posted by MagikMelody:
That was some really great advice. Im 15 and i want to pursue a career in musical theatre. its the only place i can see myself being. However, i have never really done anything about it. I perform in community theatres and such and i think i have finally reached my parents about being serious about this. Anyway, thanks so much for the advice. It really gave me a great point of view. Thanks!
You're very welcome!

All the best to you,

- MIB -
"If you can dream, you can do. Making it happen is up to you!"

Posts: 874 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
Picture of momactress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mominbiz:
quote:
Originally posted by old_diva:
Thank you for taking the time to give so much info. It is very helpful. I have a question for you. My daughter is 16 right now but will be 17 in May. She will graduate from high school two weeks later. She will be going off to college shortly therafter and I know she will want to start looking for work where ever she ends up. Unfortunately I will not be with her. She will not be able to sign for herself for ANYTHING, not hospital emergencies, not any kind of contracting for work or otherwise. She has done quite a few short or educatioal films in CT.but I was able to go with her. (we live in Rhode Island) I thought it would be helpful since she will be done with high school, for me to let her file to be emancipated but can't find an attorney in my state that knows about it or is willing to help me. One even asked me why I would want my child to be a ward of the state! I know my stat is small but come on???! Do you have any ideas? My daughter will be in school in either Ca. or Nashville. Should I just wait to find out what state she'll be in and try to file there? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Oh my, I still have so much to catch up on. So sorry for the delay.

The good news is, from what I've experienced with my son, once your daughter has graduated from high school and she's not yet 18, she doesn't need to be emancipated to work without you on a film or television project. Besides, the emancipation process is a pain!!! Don't bother if it's not absolutely necessary.

Anyway, I know so many students that have gone away to college who were not yet 18 and were able to get various jobs without their parent's signature. I know each state has its own set of rules, but for working in film or TV, she shouldn't have a problem. Now, if it's an Equity production, that might be a little different until she turns 18. Just call the AEA office if that should be the case. They are very helpful.
Hope this helped, even though it's a little late.

MIB is right as usual Wink
My daughter went to college @ 17 also & unfortunately ended up in the hospital her 2nd week of school with 104 fever! It was not a problem with her age- she self-admitted w/o us & spent the night there before being released. (bad flu & needed hydration). Her roomie went with her & I didn't even find out until after the episode since she went in the middle of the night!
If your daughter is attending college for performing arts, chances are she is not going to have the free time to do any contractual jobs as she is going to be busy w/mandatory rehearsals for school projects. So I would definitely heed MIB's advice not to bother with the emancipation.

Posts: 19 | Location: NY | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by momactress:
MIB is right as usual Wink
My daughter went to college @ 17 also & unfortunately ended up in the hospital her 2nd week of school with 104 fever! It was not a problem with her age- she self-admitted w/o us & spent the night there before being released. (bad flu & needed hydration). Her roomie went with her & I didn't even find out until after the episode since she went in the middle of the night!
If your daughter is attending college for performing arts, chances are she is not going to have the free time to do any contractual jobs as she is going to be busy w/mandatory rehearsals for school projects. So I would definitely heed MIB's advice not to bother with the emancipation.

Smiler Thank you, Mom, for adding to this. Smiler I scare myself after I've written something in the wee hours of the morning and there's NO EDIT BUTTON!!!

I meant to add as far as signatures go, most times if a signature is required by a parent, it can be faxed. And if not, there are always ways to work it out.

- MIB -

Posts: 874 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 1 | Location: New York | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know of any current auditions for British actors in America?
Or of a website that advertises UK Auditions.
All i can find are ones in America, or for the US teens.
And im passionate about acting!

www.pauljennings.piczo.comMY WEBSITE

visit my website.
www.PaulJennings.piczo.com

visit my website.
www.PaulJennings.piczo.com

Posts: 1 | Location: USA - UK | Registered: July 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you this is all very useful. I just have some questions.. I'm a 16 year old girl who would like to pursue acting. I'm not one of those delusional kids who just want to become famous. I have studied the my craft for about 4 years now at respectable schools such as the Lee Stasberg Theatre Institute of Theatre and HB Studios. I have also done my share in short indie films and NYU Grad Project films, along with some theatre work. I would like to further my career by getting an agent. It is so hard though. It is so frustrating because all the good agencies probably 100 headshots and resumes sent to them in a day which they probably don't even go through. Does anyone have any suggestions? Your input would be very much appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: July 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
Picture of CSilvera
posted Hide Post
yeah, and when you figure out how to do it, please tell the rest of us that don't have exclusive agency contracts. Tia!

Posts: 130 | Location: New York | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
Picture of CSilvera
posted Hide Post
But good luck on how far you've come, and welcome to show business.

Posts: 130 | Location: New York | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_:
Thank you this is all very useful. I would like to further my career by getting an agent. It is so hard though. It is so frustrating because all the good agencies probably 100 headshots and resumes sent to them in a day which they probably don't even go through.

Hi Sam -
Congratulations on all you've already accomplished. Sounds like you're well on your way. Smiler

As far as sumbitting to agencies, don't worry about the numbers. As Bonnie Gillespie would say, it's mind taffy. Try not to let yourself get frustrated with things that are out of your control. Just go about doing what you have to do with blinders on, meaning to keep looking strait ahead and focus on what you need to do to move forward. For agency submissions, don't expect to hear back from your first mailings. Plan on mailings as a routine, doing a small number at a time, instead of all at the same time. Reasearch the agencies to be sure you're only submitting to the ones that represent your age group and type. In the mean time, keep submitting for indies, grad films and theatre. One of those directors is going to become the next Spielberg or Scorsese. When you're in a show or a film, postcard the agencies and CDs to let them know you're working. Get your name and face out there when you can to get on the agent's and CD's radar. Also, keep up with classes when you can.

A great book for NYers and the business end of the biz is by Glenn Alterman. Check out his entire site. He also does consulting and teaches.

I know you've read this before, but Bonnie Gillespie's book, Self-Management for Actors is also extremely helpful for any actor in any state. Her other books, one is Casting Qs, sheds light on what casting directors look for in actors, do's and don'ts and what goes on in the casting offices. It's an easy read and actually entertaining. The other is Acting Qs which is filled with actor interviews which include how their careers got started, how they overcame any obstacles and how they deal with the business end of the biz.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/104-4034091-7019151?sea...t=Bonnie%20Gillespie
http://www.glennalterman.com/books.htm#making

And of course, Wink reading Back Stage every week from cover to cover will help keep you connected with current happenings.

You sound very motivated and I'm sure you will land an agent. It may take some time, but just keep at it. Make it a routine like you would for rehearsing for an audition or a play. You'll get there! Smiler

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Darn lack of EDIT botton!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Mominbiz:
A great book for NYers and the business end of the biz is by Glenn Alterman. Check out his entire site. He also does consulting and teaches. [URL=http://www.glennalterman.com/books.htm#making[/URL]

- MIB -

posted Hide Post
Thanks so much MIB! You seriously are such a help to so many people on this forum!

Posts: 2 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: July 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Sam -

You're very welcome and thank you so much for your kind words. Smiler

Good luck to you,

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
*Bump for August*

- MIB -

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
this is good. it's soooo informative THANK YOUUU

Posts: 2 | Location: newyork | Registered: August 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post