Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mominbiz:
quote:
Originally posted by bizmom:
Looking for drama/acting classes for my dd(11) SOMEONE?????? in Los Angeles, CA
Eeker

There used to be a list in the old Training forum, but that forum was deleted. I will try to find it on my other computer, when it's working! I know there is also a list of suggestions on the www.showfax.com board.
I can't get to my other computer, but here's a link that should help.
http://more.showfax.com/bbs2/viewtopic.php?t=1181&postd...storder=asc&&start=0

- MIB -
"If you can dream, you can do. Making it happen is up to you!"

Posts: 874 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Here we go again! For those who have not yet heard, postage rates have increased, starting today, May 12!

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/welcome.htm

First Class (1 oz.) .42
Large Envelopes (2 oz.) 1.00
Postcards .27

- MIB -

Posts: 874 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Bump

Be POSITIVE and your light will continue to shine, Be Negative and it dims every day....

Posts: 77 | Location: NY | Registered: February 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Here is an excellent and important thread on safety that every actor and parent should read.

http://bbs.backstage.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=840105&f=96...=795104221#795104221

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Hello Michael,

Just a heads up... I know you mean well and I appreciate your information, but if you keep attaching this post to several threads as you have, it's going to come across as advertising (even though it's free) and it may be deleted by the powers that be. One post in a thread that is specifically about casting sites might be in your best interest. You can always add the link to that post in other threads to help with cross referencing. Just trying to help!

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Happy Summer, Everyone! Cool

- MIB -

posted Hide Post
Always Be Ready!

Why All Child Actors
Need Work Permits

Recently, we received a call from a frantic parent from the East Coast. Her son had booked a very enticing role here in Los Angeles the day before. Excited, the woman and her son immediately booked a flight and arrived in LA the next morning ready to go.

Well, unfortunately they weren't completely ready. The child did not have a California Entertainment work permit. Desperate to help take care of the situation, they called our Permit Service department for help and advice, fearing that the production company would have to go with another child if a permit could not be obtained quickly.

Can you imagine? After hours on an airplane, money spent, and hopes high, this child could be turned away upon arrival to the set. This is indeed stressful and potentially disappointing, not just for the family, but for the Agent, Casting Director, Director, Studio Teacher...for all involved...and it happens way too often!

The fact is, children must have a work permit to be employed in entertainment in the state of California (and many other states) and it must be present at all times during production. This is law and there are no exceptions.

But why does the state require a permit? In California, it is because Children with permits have demonstrated to the CA Division of Labor Standards Enforcement that they are satisfactory in attendance, grades and health and can therefore be allowed to miss their regular school for work.

Additionally, when a parent signs the permit application form, they state under penalty of perjury that they will read the rules governing such employment and will cooperate to the best of their abilities in safeguarding the education, moral and physical interest of the child.

So what happened to our East Coast kid? Well, as in 95% of all such cases, his mom called Children In Film and we helped him get a permit immediately and without difficulty so that production could continue without disruption.

And while we at Children In Film can help guide you in this process, you also have the option, if time permits, to take care of the permit on your own, for FREE. If your child is a working actor, that is, if your child is pursuing acting, going on auditions, taking classes or doing anything in an effort to break in to entertainment, the bottom line is...you need to be prepared! Don't wait until that call comes in to fly across the country and perhaps miss the opportunity of a lifetime.

Posts: 3 | Location: Valley Glen | Registered: June 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Yes, CIF, it is most important to always be prepared for anything, even if your child has not yet done any work. This reminder would be a good thread all by itself, which would have more possiblities of being read by newbies, instead of adding it to this thread.

I also wanted to ask...
#1 Did you charge those people to get their child's work permit?

#2 How did you deal with getting the school information that is required? Was their school still open? Did they fax his last report card? I'm sure everyone here would like to be informed, as this is an information site.

Thank you for any further information.

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
*Bump*

- MIB -

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
BUMP!

Posts: 58 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: July 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Another good permit question for anyone coming to CA.

http://bbs.backstage.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9611031/m/660105231

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
*Bump*

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Bios and more safety tips.

http://bbs.backstage.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9611031/m/874106171

- MIB -

Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
****BUMP****

Don't ever give up.

Posts: 141 | Location: NewYorkCity | Registered: April 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
Picture of somuchtodo
posted Hide Post
Bump Smiler

Posts: 235 | Location: NYC suburbs | Registered: July 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post