Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pilot season Login/Join

posted Hide Post
My daughter just turned 16, and has done six taped auditions for LA pilots. We would love for an audition in person though.. Good luck all, hope things pick up for you all soon!!

Posts: 20 | Location: Midwest | Registered: February 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
There are a LOT fewer pilots with kid roles in them...but I don't think it's as bleak right now as Carol Lyn painted it (it looked bleaker earlier but more have been added and plenty of kid roles in those dramas she mentioned). I don't know why thy would ask Carol Lyn anyhow, she's a commercial agent and doesn't work on pilots (I speak from firsthand experience, one of my kids is at her agency!)

The problem right now is lots of CDs are only bringing in kids with lots of credits this season. More than most years. Or kids they know from previous years.

There hasn't been much for the youngest boys or the tween girls. And I don't know what everyone considers a "lot" but there have been a half doZen or so for younger girls (7-9ish) a dozen or so for teen girls, teen boys and tween boys. And more are still coming, though the bulk is probably done.

Posts: 358 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Are people starting to see a pickup in action?

Posts: 213 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
We've had one pilot taped audition. Boy 10. Last year seemed like a lot more for boys in this age range -no?

Posts: 121 | Location: nyc | Registered: June 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Yeah last year had sooooooo many 10ish boys! Not nearly as many this year.

We have been quite busy these last three weeks, but still nothing like last year for any of my kids.

Posts: 358 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
This is our first year. I don't mean to hijack this post. But can someone explain the process for getting an audition for a pilot and definition of producer session vs. Testing etc.

How does it work?

GLTA ....

Posts: 213 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Niasmom,

It seems network pilots (ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS, CW) start auditioning actors around Jan-Mar. Starting with series regulars then casting recurring and supporting roles next. Filming of the pilot episode usually begins mid-March. Then in May, there is a big announcement during what is called a "pilot upfront" where the public finds out which shows will be picked up and start airing during fall/winter season. Pilots also cast throughout the year, however, but the bulk of the talk you are seeing and hearing about now is for network pilots hoping to be ordered to series in May.

My DD did a pilot once. It was for Fox network and here is how it worked:
-Agent got us an audition appt. I guess same way they get any other audition appt - submit and/or pitch her when they are made aware of the project. I think as long as you have a theatrical agent, you have a chance to get a pilot audition.
-Appt was the last day in February. It was with CD to go on tape. At CD's office. Typical audition. Maybe 20 girls who seemed age 5-8 going for role of 6y/o daughter of the leads.
-First week of March we were asked to come in for what they called a director's session. DD was to meet with CD, Director, and Warner Brothers TV Casting at this appt. The appt was at the production office this time and seemed more intense as there were lots of adult actors there who were called back for adult roles. Very few kids present at this director's session. 20 little girls narrowed down to a handful.
-Second week of March, DD was asked to come in a third time. This time they called it a network session/network test. Fox network had to approve is what I guess that meant? That appt was at the CD's office again. I believe the network asked the CD to work on a few things with DD and put it on tape for them. They had her doing a few lines different ways and
-Few days later, DD was what they called "pinned" for the role. Something like a hold. I don't hear that term often but that's the term they used.
-Few days later, in mid March she was offered the role. She began filming the next day. Yes, they kept us all in suspense until the very end! It was a recurring role. Not a series regular. Maybe series regulars go through much more or totally different process.
-In May, all of the reports started being released and during the official "pilot upfront" announcements we found out the pilot was not picked up. With American Idol and X Factor, there wasnt much room on Fox's lineup for new shows anyway so I knew the chances were slim but I tried to stay hopeful. Top notch director, producers, and Oscar winning actor as lead...but it was a no go.

Here is a small excerpt from an article that explains how the pilot audition process works... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_pilot

"Casting is a lengthy and very competitive process. For the 1994 pilot of Friends, casting director Ellie Kanner reviewed more than 1,000 actors' head shots for each of the six main roles. She summoned 75 actors for each role to audition, then chose some to audition again for the show's creators. Of this group, the creators chose some to audition again for Warner Bros. Television executives, who chose the final group of a few actors to audition for NBC executives; as they decide whether to purchase a pilot, network executives generally have ultimate authority over casting. Since the networks work on the same shared schedule, directors, actors, and others must choose the best pilot to work for with the hopes that the network will choose it. If it is not chosen, they have wasted their time and money and may have missed out on better career opportunities.

Once they have been produced, the pilots are presented to studio and network executives, and in some cases to test audiences; at this point, each pilot receives various degrees of feedback and is gauged on their potential to advance from one pilot to a full-fledged series. Using this feedback, and factoring in the current status and future potential of their existing series, each network chooses about 4 to 8 pilots for series status. The new series are then presented at the networks' annual upfronts in May, where they are added to network schedules for the following season (either for a fall or "mid-season" winter debut) and at the upfront presentation the shows are shown to potential advertisers and the networks sell the majority of the advertising for their new pilots. The survival odds for these new series are low, as typically only one or two of them survive for more than one season"

-----------
You don't have to win them all, you just need a winning attitude!
www.taylordior.com
www.imdb.me/taylordior

Posts: 47 | Location: East Coast | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Totally T that was Totally Terrific.

Thanks.....

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
A few commercial auditions for my kids (6y boys) and a couple of family ones (we can never make as hubby works far). It's the slowest it been in a long time for us! I thought with my twins being 6, that we would have been busier this pilot season. At least we didn't have to drive to auditions in the rain last week, so I was thankful for that!

Posts: 42 | Location: los angeles | Registered: August 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
twin mama- do you have identical or fraternal twins? I think that it really is more important under 6 since the kids can only work a certain number of hours and certainly under 4 it's even more important. I still think it's great that you have twins and it's really a benefit.

Nia Totally T gave you a very detailed breakdown of the system but basically I think almost all pilots go through agents who would submit you and then if they want to see you - when I say you I mean dc - they will make an appt. Very few are open call but there are some you can find on some casting sites. I don't use those sites - I think castabout or something like that would be one of them - would have listings where they would accept tapes - so you never know if one will come up. I don't have the time or patience to do that.

Posts: 359 | Location: New York | Registered: June 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
That;s a pretty good description of pilot casting,

It's a bit different for series regulars towards the end. They will do the audition/CB/Producers (sometimes only audition/producers) and then they may do chemistry or mix & match sessions with other potential cast mates or even some already cast. You may do a work session with casting or with the director. All the while there are more sessions being held (audition/CB/producers) with other people and you may be brought back in to do another producers or two (we know someone who once did SEVEN producers with new people coming in each time!)

Then if you are one of their top choices they will negotiate a contract for the pilot and first three years of the series BEFORE your final auditions. Then you will do a Studio Test (say Sony, Universal, etc). If you pass that you will move on to the Network Test (NBC, CBS, etc). These tests used to always be in front of 20-30 producers, writers, executives, etc. Now there are a few Studios and Networks that do them on tape, but the majority of them still do it old school.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
We been slow DS is 13 but since last week crazy busy

Posts: 30 | Location: LA | Registered: November 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
DD is 7 and we have been insanely busy last two weeks. averaging an audition a day, and then callbacks. Honestly, i cant wait for this to be over.

Jeff

Posts: 49 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Topjeff- is your DS union or non? Good Luck!

Posts: 13 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimshops:
Topjeff- is your DS union or non? Good Luck!

Union

Jeff

Posts: 49 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post