Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matilda Girls audition Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I have a boy so he attended to call last weekend. The dance is different and intense and precise. From what I understand they run the boys and girls pretty much the same except maybe where time is a concern(?). With the boys they had the entire group(about 30 kids, there were two groups) learn and do their initial dance in about an hour and a half. Some of the boys came out looking shell shockedWink they kept some of the boys and taught them and had them do a second dance audition. This they did in a half hour and had them pick it up more quickly. The boys that stayed for this mostly came out of the room with big smiles, red checks and sweety hair like they just left hot yoga or a spin class, lol. The dance is quite demanding and different and really cool if you have seen the show or when they show them dancing on tv.

Posts: 64 | Location: Northeast | Registered: March 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Thanks that's sound much more logical at least they had the initial hour and a half to learn the dance!

Posts: 75 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add that each dance is about 30 seconds not 15(for boys at least) but verify fast moving(like the songs). This was my DS second time auditioning and having done the dance before definitely helped. They ran it a bit differently this time with releasing some of the kiddos. Last time they kept them all got two hours and tought them all two dances... Now with 3 1/2 times as many girls... They may need to do things differently for time? But maybe just slightly bigger and more groups would be my (uneducatedWink guess. If nothing else the dance is like a wonderful (free) workshop!

Posts: 64 | Location: Northeast | Registered: March 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Behappy, thanks a ton! I appreciate your openness. That clarifies a lot!

Although I am a bit surprised about the Matilda-role bit. I think there are four more already rehearsing to take over the role, so they would not be looking for the next round of replacements for a few more months, and in the past it sounds like dance has come into the CBs later in the process for that role. But Nora and her team seem fluid, and organized, and like they have a rhyme/reason for the way they run things. Perhaps they are switching up the CB requirements to weed down the pool while they are already seeing kids for other roles.

GLTA in the running!

Posts: 49 | Location: United States | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BeHappy and JandA's mom, Thank you both for your replies. I have seen the show and thought the dancing looked amazing! I appreciate both of your insights!

Posts: 6 | Location: California | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Sorry just reading through the thread and it was said that you should go to the dance open call even if you attended the singing open call? Is that recommended? Does it somehow better your odds to attend both?

Posts: 193 | Location: NJ | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I don't see how you could or should attend the dance call if you were not called back for it. Strange, I was told very different information. I guess I will wait and see what updated information our agent has for us this week.

Posts: 153 | Location: New York | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Hi Behappy
From my understanding there are two separate calls . One for strong singers who can dance which was this past Saturday , the other is for strong dancers who can sing. From my understanding you can go to both. At the boys auditions both auditions were on the same day . My friends DS was there and went to both from what she said The majority of the boy
singers went to the dance audition as well.
So I don't think you have to be called to go to the girls dance audition .
However if I am wrong I apologize in advance!

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: June 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Thanks llacey, I am going to check on that with the agent. Good to know though! Thank you!!!

Posts: 153 | Location: New York | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
Picture of dramamama
posted Hide Post
It's an Equity chorus call for girl dancers. Not a callback. Anyone can go. Equity kids will be seen first, just like at the Equity chorus call for girl singers.

Posts: 194 | Location: CT | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was the first audition we attended and I was just wondering...if you do get a call back what is the average amount of time before it takes place..in other words do they call people a week before it is supposed to take place, a few days before? It looks like the general consensus is they are doing call backs in November? We never heard anyone discussing anything about call backs so we are basically clueless. It was a really fun experience!

Posts: 10 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone. My dd would like to go to the open dance call on Sunday but she has commitments until noon that are difficult to skip. Do you think it will be a problem if we go to the call at noon? I heard that there were girls at the singing call who came at 1 or 2 in the afternoon who were seen, but I am not sure if that is true and am not sure if the dance call will work the same way.

Thank you for your help!

Posts: 5 | Location: NYC | Registered: October 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nyc38, in the past Nora has been really great about letting the kids sign up late. Not sure if that's the norm but you should give it a shot. They take big groups of girls so she should be able to get in one of them. Good luckSmiler

Posts: 15 | Location: No | Registered: May 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Anyone hear anything yet after last weeks singing audition prior to tomorrow's dance call?

Posts: 106 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Anyone go today?

Posts: 98 | Location: NYC | Registered: September 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post