Page 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matilda Girls audition Login/Join

posted
Anyone know how cb work for this since the singing and dancing auditions are different days? I know boys were held for the afternoon dance auditions if they got a cb, but wondering what may happen with the girls. Thanks!

Posts: 7 | Location: New York | Registered: May 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
All the boys who sang on Saturday were invited to the dance audition in the afternoon.

Posts: 25 | Location: Nj | Registered: April 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Yes all the boys were invited to stay and dance. During dance they tought everyone one dance. Than they released about 1/2 the kids(in my DS dance group) and taught a second dance to the remaining kids. They told them they would be in touch if they wanted to see them again (for a cb) as far as I know they haven't put those out yet.

GLTA

Posts: 63 | Location: Northeast | Registered: March 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
We just got back from the audition - arrived at 8:15am for a 10am sign-in we were number 40 and in the first room . Lots of cute kids, not as bad as expected but then again we were in first room .Probably around 200 girls all together. They extended the auditions to run to about 6:30 - 7:00 tonight so they could see everyone .

DD loved it had a great time !! Sang her song - was asked to do scales for range and was asked to sing an additional song .

callbacks not until mid November

GLTA!!

Posts: 149 | Location: New York | Registered: June 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
My dd did the same, we were number 82! Dance callback is next weekend. Glta

Posts: 100 | Location: New York | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
By the time they got to the later girls they had cut everyone back to 16 bars. My DD did 16 bars plus scales. I suspect the singing a second song thing was a luxury for the people who got there earlier! (Or they didn't want a second song from DD, which is certainly possible, but she didn't say anything about anyone else in the 10-12 girls ahead of her doing anything more than she did.)

Here's a question I always wonder about: in the room there was a mix of girls wearing what I would call normal audition clothes (jeans, t-shirts, etc.) and others wearing more Matilda-esque garb. We always err on the side of "audition uniform" unless we are specifically told otherwise, but I am never sure if it's the right call or not. Any experienced parents have an opinion?

GLTA!

Posts: 79 | Location: NYC | Registered: September 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Hi Lanagatar
All children were asked to sing only 16 bars . 16 bars is the norm for auditions. We were in the first room and a number of girls who went before my DD did not even get through 3bars before they were stopped and thanked. The music director had come in and explained that this would happen being that they were looking for a very specific sound and they wanted to make sure all children were heard.
The wardrobe your child wears ( IMOP) does not matter to the casting director unless specifically directed to wear a certain "look" when my DD auditioned for little miss sunshine she was directed to wear a beauty pageant dress . I'm sure other parents may have different opinions on this subject.
GL to your DD!

Posts: 149 | Location: New York | Registered: June 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Even though they already have the next set of Matilda's, did it appear they were looking at future potential Matilda's AND ensemble or just ensemble?

Posts: 85 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Thanks llacey -- 16 bars as the norm has not been our experience -- but perhaps it is for open calls? DD's "go-to" song is 32 bars, and my recollection is that usually if they want 16 bars the notice has said so. This was the only time she has gone in expecting to sing 32 and switched to 16 on the fly after hearing other girls say they had only done 16.

Broadwaybound -- no idea what they are looking for, but there were definitely many little girls there who wanted to play Matilda!

Posts: 79 | Location: NYC | Registered: September 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Behappy, dd did not attend this one, but we have some friends who did. Was just curious if you meant to write, "dance calls" next weekend, or if you were indeed writing your dd was invited to a cb already for next weekend, to see her dancing? The CB info they got was they'd hear in a few weeks about a potential Nov CB, which is parallel to what a few here wrote. Would love to tell them if kids were already asked to be seen again, so they could exhale and move on. Thanks!

Posts: 56 | Location: United States | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wondered if anyone has any thoughts on how rigorous the dance portion of the auditions/callbacks would likely be. My DD is a singer, but doesn't normally shine during dance calls. She can handle the basics, but relies mostly on a big smiling face to get her though dancing!

Posts: 6 | Location: California | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My DD's experience seems to be in line with the above Smiler We arrived about 6:20 and we were told to go to McDonalds LOL. We came back about 6:50 and we were 2nd in line. Sign-ins were at 9am. The musical director did come into the first room and tried to relax the girls. She said they were looking for a very specific sound and not to freak out if they didn't get to finish their song or had to sing another. She said it would be 16 bars. My DD was able to sing her 16 bars and then did scales. She said outside the room before they went in, they were told callbacks would be in 1-2 weeks and they would need to learn 15 seconds (?) of the Revolting Children dance. Take that with a grain of salt as DD always mixes up what she hears!!!

GLTA!!!

Posts: 5 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
We did not get a dance call yet Skybar. My information came from our agents email. It said the following... "Depending on whether you are right for the role of Matilda or for the ensemble, you may receive a callback from this audition to attend the dancers call, which will be held on Sunday, October 20th"...It also said where the dance callback will be. The email also stated the following..."Some roles in the show may be opening up as some of the kids have grown. Rehearsals would start in mid-January, but callbacks will be in November and final callbacks will be in early December or early to mid January." Hope this helps everyone! Good Luck!

Posts: 100 | Location: New York | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
MomofBri, did you ever see Matilda? The dancing is rigorous. The talent is outstanding. The kids cast had it all. For this show, in my opinion, I think you have to be an outstanding dancer, singer and actor. Basics won't cut it.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Hi we were told that there will be no cb's from yesterday that you should just go to the dance open call next sunday. Also if they are teaching you only 15 seconds of a dance I can't imagine it will be that intense. Do they ask the kids to show off their on dance skills?

Posts: 109 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post