Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Residuals Question Login/Join

Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
yes they are. Moat of them. Single ladies, hit the floor, stevie tv, and like teen wolf, awkward, and etc

Posts: 75 | Location: city of angels | Registered: May 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I thought that if you appear as yourself - as you do on most reality shows - that they don't have to pay residuals. I was under the impression that those Bravo shows were not under that type of contract. I had no idea about MTV or VH1 shows since I don't know any. Guess it depends on the contract.

Posts: 525 | Location: New York | Registered: June 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
well idk about the reality but the shows i listed are under contract.

Posts: 75 | Location: city of angels | Registered: May 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about reality, but I know many of the performance based ones like American Idol and The Voice are union. They don't re-air a lot so not much chance for residuals there.

yes a lot of a scripted TV on cable networks is Aftra, but many pay nice residuals. Each Aftra contract is unique. The kids' networks use the Uptown agreement with long exhibition windows and few residuals, but many broadcast network shows that were created in 2008 under the threat of a SAG strike use Aftra contracts that look almost identical to SAG's basic television agreement and have the same residual. That's why if anyone tells you a job pays Aftra "scale" you need to know there's no such thing and ask to see the contract.

Posts: 588 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NYCGAL:
I know this is a little off topic but are shows on VH1 and MTV usually AFTRA? Also do reality shows ever pay residuals? Someone recently asked me that. We don't do them but it's good to know. Thanks

I don't think there are any reality shows that are union.

Posts: 956 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
Sure there are. All the performance competition ones are...The Voice, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars...those kind. Also The Apprentice...any of the ones that follow celebrity lives like the Kardashians, the Tori Spelling one, The Ozzy Osbourne one...all union. Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe was. Top Model. I am sure many more are.

Posts: 588 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am missing something, she asked about VH1 and MTV shows...there are plenty of MTV shows that are scripted...I don't know VH1 as well...maybe it would help to clarify...I didn't immediately assume reality from the mention of those networks.

Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
I said I was going off topic about reality because I knew they had both types of shows on their networks. It got confusing.

Posts: 525 | Location: New York | Registered: June 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mom2enr:
Sure there are. All the performance competition ones are...The Voice, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars...those kind.

These are all game shows and not reality shows. And contestants are not covered. However, I will conceed you're right about many of the celebrity based reality shows.

And yes, you did miss something, the part where I quoted, "Do reality shows pay residuals?"

Posts: 956 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure there are. All the performance competition ones are...The Voice, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars...those kind.

These are all game shows and not reality shows. And contestants are not covered. However, I will conceed you're right about many of the celebrity based reality shows.

And yes, you did miss something, the part where I quoted, "Do reality shows pay residuals?"

Hmmm...maybe semantics...I think American Idol/The Voice/etc are more reality that game show...game shows don't go into backstories and follow the people around for months, but I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Thanks for pointing that out about the original question! I clearly read too fast!

Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
Ugh the thought of the Kardashians making more money on residuals makes me ill. Guess you can see I am not a fan. Such is our culture these days I guess. When are their 15 minutes up?

Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
are residuals given for u5?

quote:
I don't know much about reality, but I know many of the performance based ones like American Idol and The Voice are union. They don't re-air a lot so not much chance for residuals there.

yes a lot of a scripted TV on cable networks is Aftra, but many pay nice residuals. Each Aftra contract is unique. The kids' networks use the Uptown agreement with long exhibition windows and few residuals, but many broadcast network shows that were created in 2008 under the threat of a SAG strike use Aftra contracts that look almost identical to SAG's basic television agreement and have the same residual. That's why if anyone tells you a job pays Aftra "scale" you need to know there's no such thing and ask to see the contract.

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by money2blow:
are residuals given for u5?

No residuals for u5

Posts: 68 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
We get residuals for a U5

Posts: 65 | Location: NY Area | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
Under 5 is an aftra term and aftra has different contracts for different production/companies. It depends on your contract. For Nick/Disney shows they typically don't pay residuals. Others they do.