Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matilda Login/Join

Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
We're not involved in this audition but I always wondered how hard it is for younger children - like yours Broadway bound - at that age to handle the schedule. How do they do it? How do the parents do it? Every night at the theater, all the practice etc. Does anyone who is on this thread have experience in this type of production that knows?

Posts: 411 | Location: New York | Registered: June 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I was in the Broadway touring company of Annie as a child. As long as you love what you are doing, it becomes easy. Annie was very different because except for the understudies, there was only one person playing every part. At least in Matilda, they are casting each major role with a few children. This definitely takes the burden off of the children and the parents because there are some nights they are simply there as the back up and others that they don't have to go to the theater at all.

Posts: 83 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what is going on with the boy roles? Have there been many callbacks for them? What about Bruce? Any call backs for that role?

Posts: 64 | Location: Pa | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I was told that rehearsals will begin in early December. Good luck!

Posts: 36 | Location: NYC | Registered: June 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
WOW! So, it sounds like they are making a casting decision fast then in order for the kids to be there in December. I was told by another Broadway parent that 'usually' they give you 1 month to find your housing before you have to be there. We are new to Broadway auditions but are very excited that my son was asked to come back! Thanks!

Posts: 16 | Location: United States | Registered: October 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I heard 2 different reports re: rehearsal start time frame -- December and January.

Girls for 1 role were also asked to read sides on the 7th, but were not given the sides to take home and practice for the 23rd/25th. Does anyone know any more about what to expect of that? Think they'll be reading again? It sounded like all they had them do was read aloud sitting in a circle one line at a time...not really acting it.

Posts: 45 | Location: NY | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Well I guess we are out then. Good luck to all of you going in on the 23rd!!

Posts: 64 | Location: Pa | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Trumpetmom, have you heard anything from the lovely 10 year old's mom about yesterday's callback for Matilda?

Posts: 83 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
As of this morning, she was still waiting to hear back. I'm thinking of getting some of the callback kids together to see the show when it comes out. It might be fun for them to go together so that they remember that they played a special role in getting the show off the ground. They shouldn't go in just like any old audience member. They should be proud!

Posts: 36 | Location: NYC | Registered: June 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Did she say anything about what they had to do yesterday and how long they were there?

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
She did not mention that. Sorry. I did hear that one of the 12 year olds made it to the callbacks on Saturday, so I think it's safe to say that our 7 and 8 year olds were on the young side this time around.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Oh wow! I didn't realize that from those 10 girls there was another call back for this coming weekend? d

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Oops, sorry...I meant last Saturday. I think that the final 10 auditioned yesterday.

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
My son was asked to come back towards the end of the month. Does anyone know if these callbacks are the final ones before they cast? Any feedback on boys who have auditioned? It seems they have to make a decision soon since the first preview is in March 2013.

Posts: 16 | Location: United States | Registered: October 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if all children roles will be at the final callback on the 25th or is it just the chorus kids?

Posts: 17 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: September 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post