Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matilda Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard when they are going to make the casting public?

Posts: 45 | Location: NY | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: August 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Wow, so exciting! If any of these girls are the DDs of any moms on this board, congratulations!

Would love to hear, now that it's public, how the final rounds of the auditions for the role went, and what it was like to get the booking.

Posts: 45 | Location: NY | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I would love to know if any of the girls came out of that open call in Sept of this year!

Posts: 83 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Milly and her sister were at my open call...just behind us in fact. They had to race out in the middle of the long wait in order to get to the Grinch audition, which her sister booked. Good thing they made it back in time! Can you imagine booking two Broadway leads in one family...auditioning on the same day? Unreal! They were also at our final Matilda callback. My little 10 year old friend who made it to the bitter end did not book, but hopefully they'll hold all these kids for future consideration. Congrats to everyone who auditioned! That was fun! Can't wait to see the show!

Posts: 36 | Location: NYC | Registered: June 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Wow, what are the chances of that!

It's interesting that all 4 of these girls had previous professional credits and/or significant dance experience, when they made such a point about wanting the ensemble kids to be professional/dancer kids, and the Matildas to be distinctly NOT professional and just normal kids.

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I can only imagine how excited those 4 kiddos and their families must be!

Posts: 21 | Location: New England | Registered: September 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Amazing!! Congrats to them all. Their families must be over the moon!! Looking forward to "meeting" the rest of the cast, too. It's going to be a spectacular show.

Posts: 22 | Location: New York | Registered: May 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
That is wonderful for them!! Last night my DD had a rehearsal for a shoot and one of the other girls at the rehearsal told my DD that she is one of the ensamble girls!!! My DD was so excited for her! So happy for all of them!

Posts: 21 | Location: New York | Registered: September 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if they are casting more th allan one Bruce and if they have selected all the kids for the cast? Also, has anyone heard if Matilda will go on tour? Does any one think there will be future auditions for Matilda?

Posts: 16 | Location: United States | Registered: October 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
They have definitely cast all the kids. Rehearsals start in early December. Don't know if they've taken multiple Bruces but my guess is yes.

Decisions about tours are rarely made in advance of a Broadway production, it depends how well the show does, how marketable it is, and how expensive it would be to take it on tour. My guess is that it will tour, like Billy Elliott, for many years. But much depends on the NYC reception, and also oftentimes a decision about touring is made after the Tony awards.

And yes, assuming the show doesn't close immediately, which is highly doubtful, they will have another round of auditions in the spring. They'll have to replace the kids who grow too tall for their roles, on an ongoing basis.

Posts: 21 | Location: New England | Registered: September 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Did everyone hear that ensemble casting is announced? The list of ensemble kids noted on playbill.com (with previous Broadway credits in parentheses) is:

GIRLS:
Frenie Acoba
Beatrice Tulchin (A Christmas Story)
Ava Demary (Evita)
Erica Barnett
Emma Howard
Madilyn Morrow

BOYS:
Judah Bellamy (Lion King)
Jack Broderick (Into the Woods, Billy Elliot)
Luke Mannikus (Priscilla)
Sawyer Nunes
Ted Wilson (Matilda in London)

Congrats to any whose parents were on this thread!

I notice that 4 of the 6 girls cast were up for the same role (height-wise) throughout the callback process. Curious what may have happened there. Or maybe this is not the FULL cast.

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this MamaJo. I was wondering if you know what roles each of the boys/girls are playing. My son was at finals for the role of Bruce and I am curious if anyone knows who was cast as Bruce. We are hoping that they cast more than one Bruce.

Posts: 16 | Location: United States | Registered: October 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Sky, all the listings I've seen just say "ensemble" with no role names. Sorry!

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
This is one of those required calls but that does not mean kids won't get cast from it. They will need replacements constantly, as kids outgrow their roles pretty quickly.