New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matilda Login/Join

Johnny Depp
Picture of MomsTaxi2Three
posted Hide Post
Wondering if they are still calling kids today. Not hearing about many boys going, are they going or just ones big enough for bruce?

Posts: 45 | Location: PA | Registered: January 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I suspect that groups 1 and 2 are girls and groups 3 & 4 are boys. Or maybe just group 4.

Posts: 21 | Location: New England | Registered: September 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
For those of you who have a child who has been cast on broadway or in a national tour before - what is the typical number of callbacks one has to do before it's actually serious? We're on the 3rd audition, and wondering does this mean she is pretty close, or is this still several cuts/callbacks away from being a real possibility? If you've been through it, how many steps was it? (Just want to help her calibrate her level of excitement/hope/investment) Thanks!

Posts: 21 | Location: New England | Registered: September 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience, it depends on how clear the directive is from the creative team to the casting director. If you are still auditioning for the casting director, you might not be that close, but if you are going in front of the creative team, much closer. All depends on who is in the room. I assume the director has final say over the Matilda ensemble but who knows? GLTA!!!

Posts: 14 | Location: East Coast | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Any boy singers called back from the 9/23 open call? Or just the boys that dance.

Posts: 77 | Location: Pa | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My husband took my daughter to the Open Call this morning. This was our first audition; I think I underestimated how stressful it is, although luckily she loved every minute of it. My husband thought there were 200-250 girls there...they arrived at 8 for the 11 start and were 38th in line. They let them wait inside, thankfully (I had a terrible vision of a 3 hour wait on the street) and he said it was really well-managed and smooth. And now the hard part: waiting! Apparently they will make calls today for Wednesday callbacks. Did anyone else go today?

Posts: 3 | Location: NH | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
We were there, and I agree it was well-managed with the exception that it seemed that the treatment that the girls received who auditioned with Nora Brennan was quite different from those who auditioned with Jim Carnahan.

Posts: 9 | Location: East coast | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, that is interesting! I don't even know who my daughter saw! They didn't ask her any questions (besides what her song was) but they did let her finish her entire song. I don't know if that is standard for kids, but I am guessing it is moot now since "today" is almost over! Do you know if they were videotaping?

Posts: 3 | Location: NH | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Curious as to what you mean by the way girls were treated. I know Nora came out every so often to tell them not to be nervous but other than that, what did you mean? Also, considering they have been casting this for almost a year, and there were open calls for Annie, A christmas story, etc, its almost as if someone said, "Hey we need an open call too!" There were signs posted that by being there you were giving permission to have your child filmed to document the audition process and there was a camera crew there talking to some girls.PUBLICITY!! Now, there are children on their third and fourth call backs for this show. The odds that a child who went to the open call will get cast as matilda are miniscule. BUT...... a good experience for them----especially for newbies----there were a lot of disgruntled parents complaining------to see what auditioning professionally is like. And hey, the kids got to go before two important casting directors----and who knows???? And yes---- my DD was there as well!!!

Posts: 36 | Location: new york | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
HelloPolly-- they were not videotaping the auditions (just in the waiting rooms for publicity purposes, as Magoo noted).

Magoo-- "Treated" was too strong of a word. The girls who auditioned with Nora Brennan came out glowing and describing what a great experience it was, with Nora talking to them during the audition, etc. Parents were describing how much time she was taking with each child to get to know them a little bit. Girls who auditioned with Jim Carnahan seemed to have more of a typical broadway audition experience.

Maybe it won't make any difference if the whole thing was only for publicity but I hope to see on this Board that some girls get callbacks from the open call. GLTA!

Posts: 9 | Location: East coast | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess my daughter was in with Nora Brennan, although she didn't get chatted up. I asked her if there was a man and she said, "Yes. But he was playing the piano." Oh, 8-year-olds. I hope someone gets news soon. I find waiting very hard, but moving on very easy!

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
My DD was at the open call Septmeber 30 and got the call this morning that they would like her back this Wednesday for a callback. So, it appears as if the open call wasn't just for publicity. Good luck to all!

Posts: 26 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Yes, same here. Got the email this morning.

Posts: 30 | Location: NYC | Registered: June 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Were "calls" for callbacks received via email or phone call? Thanks!

Posts: 3 | Location: Northeast | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
So sad DD could not be there! I swear, the part was written for her.

So excited for all of you in the process. Please keep us posted! Cannot wait to hear about the exciting journeys you all take!

Posts: 11 | Location: United States | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post