Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matilda Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
dramamama, you don't sound harsh, just a little condescending. I've had a career in this industry as an actor, director, & professor & have coached successful actors, & it is totally normal for people who "pursue this business" to be a little anxious about the unknown, hence 24 pp of discussion on Matilda auditions! We're all just trying to figure out where are kids are in this process as are you, I suppose.

Posts: 26 | Location: US | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't think Dramamama was being condescending.

Posts: 9 | Location: Ct | Registered: April 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
OK, sorry then. I just got the wrong impression.

Posts: 26 | Location: US | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
ProudPapa, we have not heard from the 4/28 dance call, either. My dd said that Nora said we would hear of callbacks "in about a couple of weeks".

After reading everyone's stories (which I enjoy - keep 'em coming!) there is a lot going on with this process. Next week, there is a dance callback, which includes kids who went to the singing ECC in February. It's logical to think that anyone getting a callback from the dance ECC would be called back to sing - but who knows! In any case, I don't think it's time, yet, to assume you won't hear.

I'd love to know if anyone else from the 4/28 dance call has heard anything, either themselves, or from/about friends.

For what it's worth, in most cases, dd (and I) have been able to audition and forget about it. But this one is killing me, lol. GLTA!!

Posts: 25 | Location: New York | Registered: May 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose everyone's experience is different, but having been in the "Matilda pipeline" for over a year perhaps I can offer some peace of mind. Many of the other parents are accurate, though their opinions seems contradictory. From start to finish, the audition process for this show can be organized, delightful, speedy, laborious, frustrating, maddening, illogical, exciting, excruciating, unpredictable. There are a lot of players involved in this one...Nora, Jim Carnahan, the Director, the Choreographer, the Music Director, and the producers. All seem to have a say in the casting, and sometimes a "favorite" child of one party gets overruled by another player. You may hear something or may not--neither seems to be a hard-fast indication that your child is getting closer to the finish line, until of course they are cast. And "reasons" for not making it (or for being cast) are not freely dispensed. Too tall? Too short? Too pretty? Too fat? Too skinny? Geographically undesirable? Too professional? Too good at dancing? Not a good belter? And on and on. There are obviously many, many very talented kids who don't get cast for an obscure reason, and through it all I have found that what works for us is to basically ignore the process and put aside hopes/dreams while things play themselves out.

I hope that's helpful input!

Posts: 14 | Location: East Coast | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
Picture of dramamama
posted Hide Post
I wasn't trying to be condescending at all, and I'm sorry if I sounded that way, just offering some advice based on my experience having gone through this process numerous times, with varying results LOL. It's just a waste of effort trying to figure out where you are in the process, or why you are or aren't going further, as you'll never really get the answer. And no, I'm not trying to figure out where my child is in this process, as she is too old/tall for musical theater now, although she did have some success when she was smaller, including booking a lead role on a national tour. So I was just speaking from my own experience of how we learned to audition and leave it behind, since the worrying and speculating just lead to sleepless nights and no real resolution.

Posts: 183 | Location: CT | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
Picture of dramamama
posted Hide Post
And singitbaby, it TOTALLY understand that every once in a while there's that one audition, that one role, you can't seem to let go of. That's totally normal. Been there, done that Smiler

Posts: 183 | Location: CT | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, I never intented to sound like Nora's team is disorganized. We have had nothing but a GREAT experience when we have auditioned for Matilda and Billy Elliot. This is one of the reasons why we spend the $$ to fly from the West coast to the East coast for auditions. I cannot say that about our experience with 'other' casting directors. @dramamama, you are correct in saying 'get use to unpredictability.' This is a great form for ALL of us to voice our anxiety about the process...the unknowns. I will say that Nora's team has always gotten back to us when we had questions. My DS and I have met great people through this blog and at auditions and that's part of what keeps us going. Hope to see you guys on May 14th. GLTA!

Posts: 16 | Location: United States | Registered: October 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is really fun and therapeutic to hear these stories; even if they do not provide perfect answers they show me different variables and outcomes; all helpful! We are not alone in our waiting and guessing or trying to forget about the audition. I totally get and appreciate that there is a wonderful array of diverse stories to be told about this process. I am grateful for all of these posts. Yes, please Keep'm coming.

Posts: 8 | Location: USA | Registered: April 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Did everyone get that message that the callbacks got moved to the 20th? There goes our plane fare.. Frowner

Posts: 10 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: February 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't.

Posts: 9 | Location: Ct | Registered: April 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes - I got that notification about the callbacks being postponed.

Posts: 14 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On another note - can anybody explain the "groups" - group 1, group 2 - etc...

Posts: 14 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I got the note that the 14th was cancelled and the fall kids are being bumped ahead one round to the singing callback, and skipping the dance callback. Sky, just want to clarify I wasn't meaning to imply that you were suggesting disorganization. I was just reflecting on my own experience. Smiler Sorry for any confusion. Regarding the groups, in the fall the groups were divided by height/character. Not sure if that's what it is now.

Posts: 48 | Location: NY | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anyone else get assigned to a different "group" for the 20th than they were assigned to for the callback on the 14th?

With the reschedule, our group number seemed to change.

Thanks!

Posts: 8 | Location: new york | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post