Backstage Message Board
Matilda

This topic can be found at:
http://bbs.backstage.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9611031/m/385106424

February 18, 2013, 09:04 AM
TTTC
Matilda
Did anyone go to the call yesterday? Any word when callbacks will be?
February 18, 2013, 09:19 AM
Broadway Bound7
My DD went to the call. I was surprised at how many kids were there. I am curious myself about the CB's. I heard they are having a dance call in April but I don't know if the CB's from this call will be before then. By the time my DD was seen they really seemed to be rushing everyone in and out in order to make sure that everyone was seen. Anyone else know about the CB's?
February 18, 2013, 12:45 PM
vanada
Broadway Bound7 I don't know how they could have possibly seen all the kids, there were over 200 and my dd was in the 120's and we didnt get out of there until 4. When Nora came out in the beginning she made it sound like if they liked you they would tell you to come back to the dance call in April which they didnt tell my dd to do, she was also rushed out and has now sworn off open calls, lol
February 18, 2013, 12:48 PM
Driving to Rehearsal
By the end they were only allowing everyone 8 bars. Hard to impress in 8 bars, no chatter - just in and out!
February 18, 2013, 02:32 PM
buttercupprincess
It was ridiculous the amount of kids there. We were in the 170's and my daughter didn't have a great experience. We were exhausted by the end.
February 18, 2013, 03:14 PM
Broadway Bound7
We were towards the end as well. By that point, they were so quick that it was hard to tell who they liked and didn't like. They just had everyone doing the 8 bars and nothing more. At least in the beginning of the day, those kids could tell if they were liked by being asked to sing another song or their same song in another key.
February 18, 2013, 03:22 PM
buttercupprincess
We know of one girl that they made sing just 1 note. Ridiculous.
February 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
Driving to Rehearsal
ONE NOTE? Awful! Was she very experienced? Maybe they figured they didn't need to hear her?
February 18, 2013, 03:35 PM
buttercupprincess
They circled one note, had her sing and hold it, had her sing it a key higher, then asked her about her dance experience. I am not sure how experienced she was as we were just sitting near her.
February 18, 2013, 04:03 PM
skybroadway
Any more specifics about the date of dance callbacks? Did anyone sense that they would be early April or end of April?
February 19, 2013, 03:12 AM
ymca landing
Rest assured that the people responsible for casting the show take their responsibility seriously, and that they have the experience and knowledge to gather information very quickly when necessary.

It is natural for auditionees and parents to imagine ways to tell whether or not the audition was successful, but the truth is that it is simply impossible to know, regardless of how much one would like to be able to guess.

Take comfort in knowing that if you heard that someone was only allowed to sing one note, the story is untrue, and was merely an exaggeration because of the frustrating situation.

Have faith that all necessary information was gathered. The auditioners are solely interested in casting the show as well as possible, and in treating each auditionee with as much respect and sincerity as time can possibly allow.
February 19, 2013, 04:48 AM
Broadway Bound7
YMCA Landing I agree with you completely. I'm sure they know what they are looking for and in 8 bars they can tell if they want to see more at a callback. Especially since they said to do the strongest part of the song. I believe I heard that same story about the one note but it was earlier in the day before they started to move quicker and they asked her to do that after singing part of her song. What is important to me is that my DD came out of the room with a big smile and had fun. To me that was worth it. Now we'll just have to wait and see! GLTL!
February 21, 2013, 04:55 PM
Stage Da
My DD was #211 of 220, we got out around quarter past 5, hungry and tired, and then froze to death outside, not used to ice cold weather. They let her sing her 24 bars and made her belt "Happy Birthday", so not sure what to make of that. Heard about the 2 bars and the 1 note story, can't confirm though. Keeping our fingers crossed. Smiler
February 26, 2013, 01:34 PM
momofonebrdwybby
Did anyone get a callback?
March 01, 2013, 10:57 AM
Broadway Bound7
I heard today from our agent that my DD has a callback. They said it will most likely be in April but no details were given yet.