Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matilda Login/Join

posted Hide Post
A question in regards to school and tutoring. For the children's roles, if they are cast and need to relocate, how long will a tutor be provided before they need to enroll in school? Has anyone had experience with this process?

Posts: 17 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: September 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 8-year-old dd first auditioned for Matilda back in April at an ECC then her last callback was in late June. That audition was an hour and a half with the musical director and an associate director and 9 other girls. The monitor said they also had two other sessions that day plus another full day of seeing girls. My dd is out but she had such a wonderful experience and now is looking forward to other auditions. Just wondering how many girls in all may have auditioned for Matilda. Can't wait to see the show! And GLTA who are still in the running!

Posts: 2 | Location: New York | Registered: October 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
Picture of 4MyBelleofBroadway
posted Hide Post
TTTC if a child is cast in the role of Matilda it is quite possible that he/she will continue to be tutored throughout the course of the run in the show as the Billys and Michaels were in Billy Elliot. Otherwise, as a principal/lead, Equity law indicates that children must be tutored during the rehearsal period. Since this is a large cast with rotating roles for principals, my feelings are that the Matildas and probably Bruces at the very least will be offered ongoing tutoring. Don't quote me though, the lead in 'Annie' Lilla Crawford, is not being tutored now that the show is underway. Again, there are very few children in that cast.

Posts: 62 | Location: PA/NYC | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
If the child in Annie is not being tutored did they bank hours? How can they go to school at 8 and work till 11? Sounds brutal. Just wondering how they do this.

Posts: 464 | Location: New York | Registered: June 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
It IS brutal. Many kids on Broadway do just that. Some are homeschooled, use tutors, and/or use an online program.... and this is at the expense of the family not the production. Some kids go to regular public/private school. I'm not sure of the specific wording, but basically Equity rules requires production paid tutoring only if the children are required to be regularly and routinely 'working' during the normal school hours. This normally means JUST the rehearsal period...and even that's not a guarantee. And even if they have do have regular Wedesday matinees, they are still not required to provide tutors.
Having a child in a show like this requires HUGE sacrifices by that child and their family. It's extremely rewarding but it's no where near all fun and games. It takes a huge commitment by these kids and they will not even be able to fathom what that commitment even IS before they get there.
The 3 hours at the show eight times a week is the prize that these kids well deserve.... but all the other hours of the week they spend paying for that prize. I found an article online a couple years ago when we were just starting out in our journey into this 'life'. You can read it here: http://artsblog.dallasnews.com...ts-a-hardknock.html/
I love to re-read it every once in a while because the more we experience, the more I appreciate this article. Sometimes it makes it makes me sad, but other times I'm grateful and happy for the experience. Anyway you look at it, it's the truth but I'm sure 99% of those kids would do it again in a heartbeat.

Posts: 5 | Location: PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
I am asking because we are up for a part in another production and my daughter is very young. I know it's a chance of a lifetime and we are lucky enough to live close to all the theaters. I was just wondering how they do it. I'm going to read the article you linked and I appreciate your feedback.

Posts: 464 | Location: New York | Registered: June 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! This is all so exciting. Trumpetmom- is the called back 10 year old Matilda from your open call September 30th? That would make this experience one of those "dreams really can come true" experiences for all of our little ones.

Posts: 3 | Location: Northeast | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Break legs to everyone going in today for final callbacks!!!!

Posts: 31 | Location: new york | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Someone I know of was just called back for next Monday. Our mutual friend did not know if it was for Matilda or a supporting role. I think she had read for Matilda through a few callbacks, but might be getting tall for the role?

I love following all of this! Such an exciting time for so many girls.

Posts: 16 | Location: United States | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone recieved a final callback for tomorrow from the 10/23 auditions?

Posts: 17 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: September 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
We have not heard, nor any girls we know. If you have a girl am have heard, please post just so we all know it's over. Smiler

Posts: 48 | Location: NY | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Callbacks for tomorrow (boys and girls ensemble) are out! GLTA!

Posts: 5 | Location: PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks @pieces of me. Good luck to you. It was great to make it this far. Would love to know how many are at the callbacks tomorrow if you wouldn't mind sharing!

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Are tomorrows callbacks for Matilda's or the ensemble or all roles? Just curious.....

Posts: 101 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Thanks pieces of me. You helped a lot of families let go today. Hard to do after such a long process, but what a great experience. I would love to hear how many ensemble kids are there for each role tomorrow, just to understand how deep the cuts were from Tuesday. (Thursday is the last day for ensemble kids, for whomever asked that Q).

Posts: 48 | Location: NY | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post