Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matilda Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard about anyone from the final group of Matildas getting another callback for next week? Or are they finished?

Posts: 26 | Location: New York | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
They are calling the 23rd and 25th "Final Callbacks" for the chorus kids. My guess is that they'll narrow down chorus kids by role on the 23rd, and then put the Matildas in the mix on the 25th to make sure the teams of kids they ultimately choose will look right together. But that's all a guess, and you never know!

Posts: 48 | Location: NY | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
The lovely little 10 yr old Matilda, from our 2nd callback, just got 2 more callbacks, after being told she was in the final 10 on Sunday. She goes in again on the 18th and 24th. She really looks the part. We are hoping she makes it!!!

Posts: 30 | Location: NYC | Registered: June 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Yeah! I'm excited for her even though I don't know her.

Posts: 92 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aren't they putting more than one Matilda in the role to rotate?

Posts: 5 | Location: California | Registered: August 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming they are casting 4 Matidas and 4 Bruces just like they have for the London production. Child labor laws restricts the kids to working that many shows in a week. My son is going for callbacks on the 23rd.

Posts: 15 | Location: United States | Registered: October 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I following this correctly? They are down to a final 10 for the lead role of Matilda after just 1-2 rounds of callbacks but the ensemble roles have been seen 4 or more times and they still have lots of kids in the mix for those roles? Is that typical?

Posts: 15 | Location: USA | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with this audition, but have been watching it as my 7 yr old was dying to go (we could not make the trip due to other travel).

I think the 10 Matilda's (if they are at that number) come from an open call with about 200 attendees and a large number of video submissions from around the country. There were 2 rounds of callbacks after the NYC open call. At the second of those, those selected from the taped submissions attended as well. It sounds like they still have 1 or 2 rounds before they narrow down to the final Matildas. So all will be seen 4-5 times in the end.

For Matilda, they specified shorter than the rest of the cast and a non dancer. Therefore, her role does not depend on the other children (in height and dance ability).

They probably want to cast the Matildas, then will finalize the other children, factoring in Matilda's height, looks, voice quality, etc. Because the other children all need to interact with one another, need to be clearly differentiated on stage from whichever Matilda performs, and need to dance, I imagine the process is slightly more complicated for them.

Not sure is this answers your question...

Posts: 16 | Location: United States | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
They specified that they wanted local kids for all the roles, except for Matilda, who could be from anywhere.At Friday's callback there were girls from as far away as the state of Washington. I think they realized that they would not be able to request that these girls fly back and forth and pay for hotel rooms while they ran numerous callbacks. Also, it's true that the role did not require dancing, so not as much ensemble interaction I guess. Some girls at our audition had already auditioned months ago at various auditions.

Posts: 30 | Location: NYC | Registered: June 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
@
Trumpetmom. Your incorrect by stating that they are only casting local kids for all the roles except Matilda. At one of the auditions, the casting director specifically said they were casting from everywhere, you didn't have to be from NYC. You just had to live locally if cast in the show. She said it was a rumor. Also, my son was given sides for a specific role and we are flying from WA State.

Posts: 15 | Location: United States | Registered: October 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
@Sky, just to clarify, it wasn't quite a rumor as much as unclear promo by the casting agency. Their website clearly stated that matildas could be from anywhere but all other children had to be within commuting distance. It wasn't clear to many parents whether that meant they wouldn't consider kids for ensemble roles who lived far away, or whether those kids could be considered as long as they were willing to MOVE to "commuting distance" if cast. Based on the kids they have called back (we heard of several from the south, from New England, etc) they clearly are ok with someone living far away but moving once cast. But it took a while to be sure of that. Trumpetmom is not incorrect per se -- it was a confusing issue for many.

Posts: 48 | Location: NY | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the support MamaJo. I certainly was only stating what the casting directors had clearly printed...again everything is subject to change in this business. Congrats to the folks from far away who turned enough heads to make them rethink their original position!

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure they changed their position so much as did not clearly communicate that their position was that kids needed to live nearby ONCE CAST versus from the beginning. Anyway, it seems to be clear now! Smiler

Denzel Washington
Picture of dramamama
posted Hide Post
I don't have a child involved in this casting, but I want to say something I've said before: the child labor laws in the UK are very different than those here. In the US, there are no laws restricting the amount of hours b'way kids can work. When productions double or triple cast here, they do it because they feel it's best for the production (usually because the roles are so large and demanding), NOT because the law requires them to. While I'm pretty sure they will cast multiple Matildas, just like they had multiple Billys in Billy Elliot, I don't think anyone knows yet what their intentions are with the other roles. It all comes down to one thing, folks: the almighty dollar. It costs an awful lot to tutor and pay three sets of ensemble kids. Hence why there was only ever one set of BE ballet girls, despite the fact that in London there were 3. They law required it there; it doesn't here.

And also, there have been many agented auditions for this show in addition to the open calls. Kids at the callback will be both from the open call and from the agent appointments, I would expect.

Good luck to all involved. And, as always, enjoy the process. Don't focus on the result, hard as that may be.

Posts: 183 | Location: CT | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Dramamama - do they have understudies for children? Suppose they get sick or get the flu? Who will play their parts or are they supposed to come in sick?

Also regarding Matilda - my neighbor's granddaughter has her 4th call back for part of the ensemble. She's from out of town but the east coast.

Posts: 452 | Location: New York | Registered: June 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post