Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matilda Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
The two from the open call, yes. Not sure about the other two from early summer.

Posts: 25 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
The two girls who we knew from Wednesday's callback did not make it. They were also from the open call last week.

Posts: 30 | Location: NYC | Registered: June 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Good luck to both of you! Please keep us posted after Friday's call of what they have them do and what happens!

Posts: 93 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
They seemed to be down to about 15-20 girls for each of the 4 classmate roles, at Sunday's callback. Anyone's DD called back as a classmate AND as Matilda? Or are they totally separate pools now?

Posts: 48 | Location: NY | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
What about for Bruce? Is that one of the roles?

Posts: 73 | Location: Pa | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
How'd it go today??

Posts: 11 | Location: United States | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
The Matilda audition yesterday was lovely. My dd came out glowing and said that she wanted to do it again, and this is from a kid who honestly wasn't that excited about it initially. She said that Luke, the children's musical director was so funny and nice. There were 9 girls in her group, group 2, and they were seeing a total of 4 groups, some with fewer kids, I think. All singing was a capella, without piano. Many girls were 10 - 12, it seemed, but tiny. My dd is only 8, so I'm concerned that it's difficult for her to compete with that kind of age difference. Anyhow, one of the 10 yr. olds in our group already got the call last night, so we are assuming that we will not be progressing, but it sure was fun while it lasted! One of the girls in our group was up for a classmate/dancing role as well as for Matilda. I know that someone had asked about that. Her mother said that the auditions are totally separate. Her callback for that role is in a few days. Good luck to all those still in the running. We can't wait to see the show!

Posts: 30 | Location: NYC | Registered: June 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Amazing that at 8 she progressed so far! And you never know, they may have just made calls for those on the line, rather than those who they knew they wanted to see again. Even if not this round, no doubt that at 8, she is a contender for future casting! Congrats.

What was her previous experience with stage?

Posts: 11 | Location: United States | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the words of encouragement Laura2771. Yes, I guess it's too soon to rule anything out.

Actually, aside from being a firefly with a saggy tush in a community theater production of My Secret Garden, and some dance recitals my dd has had no actual stage experience. She has taken theater classes and TV acting classes and she has had commercial, film and voiceover experience, along with many years of advanced piano work, which I think gave her great ear training.

Honestly, this audition was all about voice, ear and look. They had to glue hands down - no gestures, no facial expressions. My dd said she was asked to hold another girl's arms down so that she wouldn't gesture with them while she sang. Of course she thought that was really fun!

posted Hide Post
Wow--sounds like it was very specific yesterday. Was there another round of callbacks today? I wonder how many girls are left?

Congrats to your daughter trumpetmom for making it so far. Can't wait to see the show!

Posts: 14 | Location: East Coast | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Okay...unfortunately we did not make it past Friday, but we just got a message from the mom of a girl who was in our group. She says that she has been called back today and she is in the final 10 for the role of Matilda! She is a lovely, tiny 10 year old girl. Wishing them all good luck today! Smiler

posted Hide Post
Were the girls going for Matilda true to height specifications - under 4'4"?

Posts: 5 | Location: California | Registered: August 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tumpet Mom for keeping those of us who auditioned in the loop! I'm curious....up to this point, have the girls had to sing any of the songs from the show? I know you said the first call back theye did not. What about the last hour and a half session?

Posts: 93 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Yes, all girls were true to height specifications. They were ALL 4'4" or under. I've heard that in shows like this, they will measure the kids every month. Some may outgrow the role before they ever hit the stage.

As for the auditions. At yesterday's callbacks they worked on songs from the show and then they took groups of five at a time to work on new material.

I was amazed to see how tiny 10 - 12 year olds can be. I think that they are really looking for mature, older girls who look younger. Again, my daughter is only 8, petite, but already 4'3", so we may not have another shot at this role, sadly.

Hope this helps some of you who were questioning why you weren't considered. Size is super important to them.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Thanks Trumpetmom! This was very helpful. My daugher is only 4 ft but also only 7 yrs old. She was probably too young to even be considered at this time.