Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Msf Talent -- Beware Login/Join

posted
Had several friends go to her print division open call. Her print agent wasn't there and she was pushing acting classes at ATNY and she also holds headshot sessions at her office.Not the first time I heard this. If an agent insists you take acting classes or use a specific photographer--beware. Not only is this forbidden for SAG-franchised agents but it screams SCAM.

Posts: 8 | Location: NYC | Registered: June 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of my friends attended the MSF open print call, too, and they were also given brochures for classes at ATNY acting school. She was also very rude if they said they had other acting coaches. After discussing this with some legit pros in the biz and other professional actors, I learned that she really pushes this ONE school to her talent. I'm a working actor, represented by a highly respected agency, and I know that her doing this totally goes against SAG/AFTRA rules, as does bringing in a photographer?! Agents should be making their $ from commissions on jobs booked by their talent and showcases are ok (they get paid there, too), but the rest goes against SAG/AFTRA licensing agreement. Major "red flag" here.

Posts: 11 | Location: NY | Registered: January 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a similar experience. After meeting with MSF Talent, we received an email the following morning from ATNY stating that MSF had reached out to him in regards to my daughter. He must have had my daughter's resume as well since he said he knew my daughter's acting coach.

Posts: 6 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@acccdc I wonder how many other resumes were passed along without consent. My guess is all of them (for agent to get referral fees). If your child has a good acting coach, and this person from ATNY knows the coach...not cool. In sales, it's called "skating deals." Also, not sure if this is the case, but if MSF will sign your child contingent upon your child going to ATNY, that's a huge breach of ethics for both non-union AND union - except for SAG-franchised agents, it's going against SAG laws. For non-union agents, it's just considered unethical. All of this is spelled out on the SAG/AFTRA website. Good luck to you!

Posts: 11 | Location: NY | Registered: January 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
She used to be with Frontier (FBI) then had a stint at FFT trying to get FFTV up and running and that didn't work out. Now that she's on her own I think she's really grasping at anything. Too bad. Definitely stay away from the red flags.

Posts: 365 | Location: CT | Registered: October 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree BizzyMama, she's grasping. My DS has been with one of the large agencies for 8 years. He goes out a lot for commercial and legit and I never see them on the sign-in sheet. But, sending your clients to acting classes--I've never had his agent tell me he needed to go to classes. If I ask, they will refer someone but they've never referred ATNY.

Posts: 8 | Location: NYC | Registered: June 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
BTW, just so you know, she also gets a kickback from the photographer. She was kicked out of one acting studio for giving resumes that she collected there to ATNY. She was once respected. Such a shame.

Posts: 34 | Location: NYC | Registered: May 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
It's quite shocking to me considering she has been in the business for around 27 years. we're not talking about a newby. I'm am wondering what happened. She was once or still may be in certain circles a very respected agent. Since I don't know the story or why or how this occurred this is probably the last I will speak of it. I know ATNY is not a scam. We never went there but many did and were successful. I'm sad for her and for parents who trusted her if they were scammed. Sad to read about a person so immersed in the business to now have a reputation like this.

Posts: 402 | Location: New York | Registered: June 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Not sure what's happening here. Really surprised. I've never heard these accusations, but then again I dont know anyone signed with MSF. I just assumed legitimacy based on her prior work at FBI and FFTV, so she was on my agent list. I took them off my list until I know what's going on. There are still plenty of agents on there.

The only personal experience I have with her was when she met with DD. She told me she wasn't "ready" and needed to work on some things. Now that I read this forum, it makes me think she probably just wanted us to take acting classes...or maybe she honestly thought she wasn't ready lol.

-----------
You don't have to win them all, you just need a winning attitude!
www.taylordior.com
www.imdb.me/taylordior

Posts: 55 | Location: East Coast | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@brandondad Thank you, I was aware of the photography kickbacks since no reputable agent arranges a date for a specific photographer for all their clients.
@totallyt, I checked out your lovely daughter's website and she's doing fabulous without MSF. If she knew what she was doing, she would have never said that to a blooming talent like your DD.
Thankd to everyone who has responded. It's our job as parents to weed out the rats from this incredibly challenging business. Pathetic how she's used her 27 years in the business to steal from innocent people. I don't know of anyone she represents who has had any real success, do you? That speaks volumes for someone in the industry that long.

posted Hide Post
Agree that ATNY is probably not a scam in terms of classes. However, it gives me pause to know that they are contacting talent using info provided to them via MSF w/o consent of parents (refer to @Brandondad & @acccdc posts) and most likely paying referral fees to MSF, which is forbidden by SAG and just plain unethical. Perhaps desperate times call for desperate measures (on the part of both parties here - i.e. lack of $$ coming in) so they're stooping to these levels. I generally determine agency legitimacy based on SAG/AFTRA license and past affiliations (to an extent) It's a trust issue at this point, and I wouldn't recommend MSF to anyone based upon this info that has been verified by sources I trust. There are many better agents out there who are on the level and not thumbing their noses at SAG rules.

Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
what photographer is she using?

Posts: 382 | Location: New York | Registered: March 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FB posts mention a Jason Davis.

posted Hide Post
Her son works for (or did work for) ATNY. I'm sure that's why she pushes those classes. It does seem like a conflict of interest to me.

Posts: 1 | Location: NJ | Registered: July 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did not have a good experience at ATNY. It was completely chaotic, there were different teachers weekly and we could hear them complaining about having to teach the class. Not to mention the on-camera class had no camera in it most of the weeks we attended! I would not be surprised if they are involved in a scam because I think their quality has gone down and people are leaving.

Posts: 12 | Location: New York | Registered: July 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post