New
Find
Notify
Tools

Msf Talent -- Beware Login/Join

Sean Penn
Picture of Lochness68
posted Hide Post
Yes - stay away!! Very rude - never signed but not nice at all stay away!!!

Posts: 102 | Location: New York | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the helpful, honest posts. Very, very helpful and informative to all who have visited this forum!! Best of luck to all.

Posts: 11 | Location: NY | Registered: January 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's criminal to pray on the talent and their parent's emotions by ripping them off financially and emotionally. Karma! Smiler)

Posts: 8 | Location: NYC | Registered: June 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my dd has what I always believed was great representation, but, just last week her agent sent me an email referral to classes (not the ones you mention) but when I called the woman was all about the $ and I was asked for a cc right away telling me that space is limited and a cc would hold her place, and that she is the #1 acting school in NYC and she even mentioned she could hook me up with a great photographer that shoots in her studio which was the same photographer that was given to me by dd agent (seems a little strange for both of them to refer me to the same "female" photographer in the same week)
then after asking a few very informed people I heard that ALL agents get $ to refer talent to classes, apparently from the posts this agent has been in the business for a while now, just seems strange to me, but hey, this is the first time I'm adding my 2 cents to a post because it just doesn't seem right to me. and BTW all agents have their favorite photographers & classes.
This just sounds like a witch hunt to me
quote:
Originally posted by Integrity
Agree that ATNY is probably not a scam in terms of classes. However, it gives me pause to know that they are contacting talent using info provided to them via MSF w/o consent of parents (refer to @Brandondad & @acccdc posts) and most likely paying referral fees to MSF, which is forbidden by SAG and just plain unethical. Perhaps desperate times call for desperate measures (on the part of both parties here - i.e. lack of $$ coming in) so they're stooping to these levels. I generally determine agency legitimacy based on SAG/AFTRA license and past affiliations (to an extent) It's a trust issue at this point, and I wouldn't recommend MSF to anyone based upon this info that has been verified by sources I trust. There are many better agents out there who are on the level and not thumbing their noses at SAG rules.

Posts: 2 | Location: ny | Registered: February 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ProudMama, your post makes no sense. I believe you are a poser and not a good one. Contrary to what you say, neither the commercial or legit agents who rep my DS have NEVER mentioned acting classes or photographers. You're wrong that they all get kickbacks from acting classes or photographers. I do know that agents get paid to attend Showcases at acting classes.
Here is an excerpt from SAG-AFTRA's website regarding agents who specify using particular photographers:

"If a purported talent agent seeks to send you to a particular photographer for pictures, hold your wallet tight and run for the nearest exit. Chances are s/he's a phony and receives a cut of the photographer's fee. If you need photographs, choose your own photographer. Better still, try another agent."
And, why are you calling it a witch hunt when clearly it's the clients who are being taken advantage of by an unscrupulous agent?

Posts: 8 | Location: NYC | Registered: June 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Proud mama. It is obvious you are Marion. The photographer you refer to no longer shoots in that studio and has not for years. You are just embarrassing yourself further.

Posts: 38 | Location: NYC | Registered: May 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
okay - if you have an agent or a manager and ask them for suggestions they will recommend specific photographers. If you ask them about classes they will also recommend specific classes. You can also ask their opinion on others. Whether they get kickbacks or not on the recommended ones I would not know but I do know they have there favorites. They also have favorite places that will print up your headshots. Do they get kickbacks - I do not know. Just wanted to clarify that it is not odd to get recommendations and I don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Just remember nothing is to be paid up front.

Posts: 450 | Location: New York | Registered: June 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
brandondad, you have no idea who I might be as I have no clue as to your identity, but, I do know what I am talking about and do not wish to have a debate, but to accuse me of being the person you are bullying is ridiculous. I am speaking from first hand knowledge, a fact told directly to me by an agent at from "LARGE" agency, the quote was "referring talent is my part time job".
believe what you would like, that is your privilege but I have facts, and facts trump assumption.
No I will not "out" the agent or agency, that would lower me to your level.
so enjoy your little power trip against this agency. I find it very funny though that you are so defensive of this photographer and know so much about her, hit too close to home?? I am NOT protecting or defending anyone, I was just commenting. I am done

Posts: 2 | Location: ny | Registered: February 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
ROTFL. No parent would ever write a post like you just did. Everyone knows about you being thrown out of the other studio so no it doesn't hit too close to home. All New York parents in the biz heard about it.

Posts: 38 | Location: NYC | Registered: May 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proud mama, rev up your broom.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PROUDMAMAofDD:
my dd has what I always believed was great representation, but, just last week her agent sent me an email referral to classes (not the ones you mention) but when I called the woman was all about the $ and I was asked for a cc right away telling me that space is limited and a cc would hold her place, and that she is the #1 acting school in NYC and she even mentioned she could hook me up with a great photographer that shoots in her studio which was the same photographer that was given to me by dd agent (seems a little strange for both of them to refer me to the same "female" photographer in the same week)
then after asking a few very informed people I heard that ALL agents get $ to refer talent to classes, apparently from the posts this agent has been in the business for a while now, just seems strange to me, but hey, this is the first time I'm adding my 2 cents to a post because it just doesn't seem right to me. and BTW all agents have their favorite photographers & classes.
This just sounds like a witch hunt to me
quote:
Originally posted by Integrity
Agree that ATNY is probably not a scam in terms of classes. However, it gives me pause to know that they are contacting talent using info provided to them via MSF w/o consent of parents (refer to @Brandondad & @acccdc posts) and most likely paying referral fees to MSF, which is forbidden by SAG and just plain unethical. Perhaps desperate times call for desperate measures (on the part of both parties here - i.e. lack of $$ coming in) so they're stooping to these levels. I generally determine agency legitimacy based on SAG/AFTRA license and past affiliations (to an extent) It's a trust issue at this point, and I wouldn't recommend MSF to anyone based upon this info that has been verified by sources I trust. There are many better agents out there who are on the level and not thumbing their noses at SAG rules.

SAG franchised agents may refer their talent to schoolS, photographerS and showcaseS (NOTE PLURAL) as in give a list. Your "very informed" people are uninformed and/or not savvy about SAG/AFTRA rules or don't care, which in turn makes them as unethical as any of the agents who are getting kickbacks for referring ONE particular school, photographer, etc. I'm simply stating SAG law. Perhaps you should call them to verify if you don't believe the website. People can do what they want, it's still a free country. I'm merely stating what anyone savvy in this business knows to be true. In fact, you can find a plethora of articles in BACKSTAGE (how 'bout that!) on how to recognize a legit agent, and you'll see what I wrote in every article. I'm not trying to be "wicked" here, merely doing some truth-telling. Wink

Posts: 11 | Location: NY | Registered: January 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All these negative posts about MSF are so surprising to me. My two girls have worked for Marion. They were NEVER, EVER, EVER approached or required to take any acting classes from ATNY, or anyone else for that matter. MSF NEVER, EVER, EVER suggested or required us to use any specific photographer. My two girls got work from Marion based on their headshots & resumes that were forwarded out to her. All these negative posts boggle me. The Speringo family

Posts: 1 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: March 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Agents can recommend classes, photographers, etc. Pushing one in particular on you or saying they won't use your kid unless you use them is against SAG/AFTRA RULES. Unless you were personally there and saw this yourself, it is here say and totally wrong to put someone or their business down like that. I understand the original poster and maybe she took it out of context. Just saying. There's three sides to all stories.

Posts: 36 | Location: NYC | Registered: March 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post