Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Christmas Story Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted
DD is going to the open call for A Christmas Story. She's never done a broadway audition. Anyone go to last year's auditions for this? They are supposed to sing a "rhythmic, classic broadway" song. Do they sing first and then if asked to stay, dance? What is the dance portion like for young girls? Just looking to give her as much advice as possible!

Thanks!

Posts: 29 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I was wondering the same thing. I did a little research and found this. Hope it helps :-)

http://achristmasstorythemusical.com/gallery/videos

Posts: 91 | Location: NY/NJ | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
My DD went to the open call last year, they wanted her for the dance call back but we had to fly home the same day as the call back, so they just asked us to send in a video of her singing "When You're a Wimp" and dancing a Tap choreography that showcases her Tap skills. Needless to say video call back is not a very good way to go.

Posts: 29 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: February 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I see that is says ages 8-13. I am not familiar with the girl roles in the show. What age are the girls typically in the show?

Posts: 106 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Why do you think it is that none of the casting notices that are out this year for this don't say anything about "must tap" as they did for last year? Would'nt they want to weed out those who don't tap? My dd does not tap, would she not even be considered?

Posts: 44 | Location: NJ | Registered: May 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
My dd's manager/agent asked me if she tapped before they told me about the audition. But you're right, it's not in any of the notices.

Posts: 29 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
I think I saw it in the LetsCast site where you can submit a video. I may be wrong, but I am on the fence because DD taps....but probably not as well as they would like.

Posts: 218 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I think not all the kids will need to be in the Tap scene, probably just need enough dancing skills on some. Youtube has some videos of the show.
http://youtu.be/Kc7s7tSZhi8

Posts: 29 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: February 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
The casting notice does say they must know how to tap on LetsCast which is what is linked to backstage's posting.

Posts: 39 | Location: New York | Registered: August 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Is there an agent submission on this or just the open call?

Posts: 106 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how difficult the tap portion is? My DD has some tap experience but not a ton.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Posts: 17 | Location: New York | Registered: February 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Is there dance at this first audition or is that at the callback?

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
When my DD auditioned last year, they held the dance call back the Monday after, but then again, they had hundreds of kids to see for the singing portion.

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
BroadwayBound7, May 5th is open call. My DD's agent mentioned that they will have appointments in the near future as well.

Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
This notice says it's dancing first, and then some will be asked to stay and sing. Is this the same call? http://actorsequity.com/Castin...D=31323&NoticeType=1

Posts: 476 | Location: New York | Registered: December 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post