home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  New Actors Only    Question About Working My Regular Jobs & Acting Jobs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question About Working My Regular Jobs & Acting Jobs Login/Join

posted
i live in los angeles..im a dog groomer and i have to work atleast 3 times a week in order to make a living. right now im looking for 1 more place i can work at so it would be 3 times a week...i am about to take acting class soon. what would be a good way to balance these two jobs? i dont want to get fired. should i try to request getting regular jobs to sat & sun or what should i do?

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles CA | Registered: October 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Here's what I would suggest to you. I don't know what tools and things a dog groomer needs, but acquire what you need and go freelance. I know plenty of people who would pay a groomer to come to their house rather than the hassle of taking their dog in and waiting and maybe not getting what they want, etc.

You have a skill that you can freelance. Definitely figure out how to make that happen.

Posts: 132 | Location: Chicago | Registered: January 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Anthony Hopkins
posted Hide Post
The bottom line is that you have to have flexible hours if you work.

If you work evenings/nights, they don't have to be as flexible as you would only have to get time off for jobs you book, and not auditions, which is one of the reasons so many actors are bartenders/waiters.

Posts: 716 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would it be flexible if I work regular jobs on Sat and Sun?

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles CA | Registered: October 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Victrola:
Here's what I would suggest to you. I don't know what tools and things a dog groomer needs, but acquire what you need and go freelance. I know plenty of people who would pay a groomer to come to their house rather than the hassle of taking their dog in and waiting and maybe not getting what they want, etc.

You have a skill that you can freelance. Definitely figure out how to make that happen.

I can only work at grooming shops because I don't have a license and a car

Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
Getting a car would help. Or if you have a disability, find a driver. You can't trust public transportation in LA.

Posts: 2135 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does these jobs and interviews happen mostly on weekdays? Not Sundays?

Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dan50:
Does these jobs and interviews happen mostly on weekdays? Not Sundays?

Auditions generally happen M-F 10am-5pm.

Some commercial auditions can happen on Saturdays.

Student/indie film auditions can happen during Saturday and Sunday in addition to M-F

Posts: 2135 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post