home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  New Actors Only    For all newbies- must read!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For all newbies- must read!! Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mystique:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Moira:
Yes, but it seems to me the film industry values youth a whole lot. If you wait out ten years in Iowa you might be too old when you get here.
The bigger the nest egg, the better, but I wouldn't wait forever.
There are always low level jobs in NYC, it's getting something that pays a living wage that's the problem. And if you share an apartment in Brooklyn or Queens the rents are considerably lower and all you need is a metro card (bus & subway), not the expense of a vehicle.
Be warned, no one is kidding, this is a dangerous City. But it becomes less so if you're careful, watchful, and don't act like an easy mark.
I agree with the advice about theater actors. They're the cream of the crop.
I think acting is something you have to want for itself. If it's about money, or fame, or having your picture taken, I'd stay home. Acting is an art. And in my opinion, if you're an artist, NYC is the place to be.

I guess I'm both... artist and desiring fame (trust me I'm an artist; if you knew me in real life *knowing Miss_Stone is reading this* you would think I am complete different person on this forum; like completely; like split personality; like i have six personalities; like woah she's not the same here, is that even her?)

Lol, you sound like an artist. The great ones are never exactly what we consider normal. I guess that's what makes them different - special.
I'm haven't got any talent myself, but I'm a fantastic audience. I would just like to be around movie sets, television, whatever. I want to see what's involved, how it works.
Just this website is fascinating. A world unto itself.

Posts: 3 | Location: New York | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 1103 | Location: the universe | Registered: June 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
Picture of Morgin Felicia
posted Hide Post
Great post, miss stone.
In NY there is also:
metrocards
transportation costs
But it kind of evens outs since most of us don't have cars.

Plus in any major market, there's all that beauty stuff. At least for the girls.

----------------
Just to endure is a triumph.

Posts: 391 | Location: NYC | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 1103 | Location: the universe | Registered: June 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
Picture of n.a.t.a.l.i.a.
posted Hide Post
Great post! I'm so bad at saving though. It's my new year's resolution to put more money away so that when I finally move out to the city I won't be destroyed by lack of funds.

I work in an office now, and for the life of me I can't understand the people I work with. Lawyers-- not the creative types, you know? Very serious, straightforward.

I CAN'T WAIT TIL ITS OVER! I'm just doing this to get through college.

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..."

Posts: 25 | Location: NJ | Registered: May 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi...
Thats some really good advice.
Some questions for you...
I am now in my late 50's. My career has been in the travel industry and I now have the time to devote to my first and greatest passion, acting.
In my younger days I studied at Herbert Bergdoff Studios in NY. Did some indie films and recently have been on TC as a travel new guy.
I would really appreciate some advice on how to kick start an acting career while living in South Florida.
I have attached a head shot
Thanks
Scott
sgrody@gmail.com

ImageSCOTT.JPG.JPG (12 Kb, 594 downloads) scott grody headshot

Posts: 1 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
That's not a headshot.

Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
bumping as this is a must read.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
This is a really informative post, Miss Stone! I just wanted to add insurance to the list (sorry if it's already here and I overlooked it, but I don't think it is). At least a couple hundred each for car insurance and health insurance goes on that monthly tally. Just to be clear, I'm not posting this to quibble or anything; I know that some of the people reading this post are younger and insurance may not have occurred to them.

Posts: 30 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
Awesome addition! Smiler Heath insurance maybe not so much as it is so costly and younger people do get sick a lot less but car insurance is a MUST! No debate there at all.

Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
bump

Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
bump

Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
bump

Glenn Close
Picture of Mystique
posted Hide Post
BUMP

----------------------------------------------------

I have a personality. Don't care if it's a fallacy.

Posts: 487 | Location: In a Dream... | Registered: October 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great advice Miss Stone! For me, while I do only have about half of that 30 thousand saved, I'm still moving in August. That alone mostly is going to be devoted to my rent and other small bills. I liked your point about learning a new skill to get a job that pays well, since obtaining a job as a waiter is extremely difficult.

“Life's like a play; it's not the length but the excellence of the acting that matters”

Posts: 8 | Location: VA | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post