home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  New Actors Only    For all newbies- must read!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For all newbies- must read!! Login/Join

Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
I find 30,000 a ridiculous amount of money to have saved before moving. Unless you have inheritance or are wealthy and just have that amount lying around. I highly doubt most people had that amount before moving, because the people who are saving that are probably still back at home, trying to save.

Posts: 47 | Location: CA | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am moving to LA this coming January. What can I do now to help me out in the future? Do a few skype sessions? Read books?

Posts: 5 | Location: Jonesboro | Registered: September 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
I don't think what Miss Stone came up with is a ridiculous amount. She documented the expenses very well. The thing is that she wrote it back when we were near the bottom of the recession and it was harder to get a survival job.

She also wrote it from the perspective of coming to town without much training and without serious connections. I remember when she used to post a lot and it seems like that had been her starting place. You can cut out a good bit of that if you are already a trained actor that only needs a few classes to get acclimated to the LA way, are already well connected, and have most of your other ducks in a row.

The food expense seems inflated and you could get by for less in rent if you can stand living on top of three or more people in the same apartment, but the rest looks about right other than that and the union info being out of date. It is easier to get eligible now through the New Media Agreement, but there is still a $3,000 initiation fee at the end of that rainbow.

It is a step to simply be here, but it won't do you much good if you are too tied up with just trying to keep a roof over your head to do the other things it takes to be competitive in the market. This business is tough enough as it is without having to start off deep in the red.

Posts: 225 | Location: Hollywood Hills | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 55 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for this post. It really shines some light on the day to day of being an actor and what it takes financial which is sometimes overlooked by acting teachers.

Posts: 116 | Location: San Diego | Registered: August 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
bump!

Posts: 55 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post