home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  New Actors Only    For all newbies- must read!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For all newbies- must read!! Login/Join

Johnny Depp
Picture of eyezoncash
posted Hide Post
Mystique,
Here is a video response for you :-)

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/...9/mystique_response/

www.YouReallyShouldBeFollowingMe.com
The chronicles of a stage artist: from obscurity to world wide recognition.

Posts: 47 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELDORADO59:
bumping Miss Stone's OPUS!

Miss Stone, where are you? WE MISS YOU!

Why, I'm right here!!!!! Wink

Posts: 1104 | Location: the universe | Registered: June 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info. I didn't even think about AFTRA and it just proves your point that I need to RESEARCH the rules on these unions and not join them right off until I can afford it. I barely have camera experience and have deluded myself that unions are too far off for me to think about. I wish I had read this post before I submitted questions of my own :/ Truly, it sounds very depressing, trying to make it, but I appreciate your honesty and sharing. Actors have to have balls of steel.

Posts: 1 | Location: SoCal | Registered: May 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 1104 | Location: the universe | Registered: June 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So...if I don't have ANY experience with filming whatsoever...what's the very FIRST step I should take? (after reading all the scam messages about talent hunter...I know that's not the way to go...)
So basically...all those auditions and things are asking for a headshot and resume....
headshots are no problem, but I have nothing to put on my resume! Where to start?
Any help would be appreciated! I would really like getting into the film industry

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I would have read this before I moved to LA!!!

although this expense report would have definitely scared me away from LA for much longer than I would have wanted. I moved here last year and blew through my savings within months. started sharing a room to save money and found a way to get around the high bill but had to sacrifice my comfort and privacy.

It's a catch 22 for sure trying to work and make time and money for acting. But basic needs have to come first and I dont think most people realize just how expensive this industry is... and how expensive LA is in general.

Great break down.

Posts: 1 | Location: los angeles CA | Registered: June 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FutureEntertainer:
So...if I don't have ANY experience with filming whatsoever...what's the very FIRST step I should take? (after reading all the scam messages about talent hunter...I know that's not the way to go...)
So basically...all those auditions and things are asking for a headshot and resume....
headshots are no problem, but I have nothing to put on my resume! Where to start?
Any help would be appreciated! I would really like getting into the film industry

Read read read read and read some more. Books like "How to Be a Working Actor" at the link below. Seriously, the more you read the more you will learn.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...0YA7FHNM8HX5ETG9PR66

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
kudos to miss stone for this post. EVERY new actor should get on their knees and appreciate miss stone's post! it took me nearly 4 months of research to find out these things myself! lol

Posts: 12 | Location: OC | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This post was / is very helpful to me.

Just moving to the area and everything is quite overwhelming at first. This informtion certainly helped me a great deal. Thanks Miss Stone.

Getting representation is just the starting point!!

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Judith1969:
This post was / is very helpful to me.

Just moving to the area and everything is quite overwhelming at first. This informtion certainly helped me a great deal. Thanks Miss Stone.

Getting representation is just the starting point!!

Glad to help.

But if you are new to acting, getting representation is NOT where you start at this point.

Take your time to learn who's who, what's what, and know the city. Get to some classes, do some student films and non-union work. Get a reel together. Get some credits. Don't put the cart before the horse. Newbies are NOT ready for serious representation.

HOWEVER-

If you HAVE union affiliation, have had some signifcant training, have a reel, good headshots and some decent credits and industry experience, then by all means go for it.

""I'm not afraid to die on a treadmill. I will not be outworked. You may be more talented than me. You might be smarter than me. And you may be better looking than me. But if we get on a treadmill together you are going to get off first or I'm going to die. It's really that simple. I'm not going to be outworked." -Will Smith

Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
bump

Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
bump

Julia Roberts
Picture of miss stone
posted Hide Post
bump

""I'm not afraid to die on a treadmill. I will not be outworked. You may be more talented than me. You might be smarter than me. And you may be better looking than me. But if we get on a treadmill together you are going to get off first or I'm going to die. It's really that simple. I'm not going to be outworked." -Will Smith

posted Hide Post
quote:
About AFTRA. I for one, WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend anyone with the money who wants to be SAG Eligible as soon as possible, join AFTRA TODAY no matter where you are in the country. Period. Let me explain. One of the ways to become SAG eligible is to be a member of a sister union for a year and get just one speaking line in an AFTRA project...That means as soon as you get to LA, you get just one itty bitty line on an AFTRA show and BAM- you are SAG ELIGIBLE!!!

Miss Stone,

Thanks for the reply on AFTRA...I am trying hard to gain my SAG-E status, and unfortunately am stuck doing background work, as that was one of the easier ways to go about it, or so I was told. I feel gross every time I do it, as it's so demeaning, and not why I am came out here.

My question is this though, I have been a member of AFTRA for 6 months now, and have yet to audition for an AFTRA job with a line.

Now, I am not naive...and I realize it may take longer than 6 months, but perhaps I am just not going about it the proper way...without an agent, how does one find these speaking jobs with AFTRA.

Are you referring to places like Actors Access, LA Casting, etc...?? Are there other places I should be looking?

Really appreciate any help you can give, as I am SO over doing this background business.

Cheers!

Posts: 8 | Location: West Hollywood | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
miss stone,

Thanks so much for this post. It has been more helpful than most things I've read online about moving out to L.A. for acting.

My wife and I are moving to L.A. in the Spring/Summer of 2010, depending on when we can have the "Cali money" saved up. The amount of "Cali money" that we were originally planning on having was 10k, but since we both read your post we're bumping up the tag to 15k before we make the jump.

That's 15k Cali money, ~5k emergency reserve money, no debt, and a nearly palpable love of acting (well, at least I'LL have that. My wife works in the publishing industry).

Is this an unrealistic number? Should we go higher? I plan on having headshots prior, and maybe a little experience from here in Orlando.

Again, your assistance (or anyone who happens to read this) is crazy appreciated. Smiler

Posts: 2 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post