This topic can be found at:
http://bbs.backstage.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/932105/m/846102181

March 06, 2009, 10:57 PM
bad-ass
For all newbies- must read!!
bump
March 14, 2009, 08:48 PM
shannonact1
Thank you Miss Stone for taking the time to post this information. This is a huge help to the up-and-coming actors (me) who intend on making the move to L.A. (me). A definite reminder to plan, plan, plan!
March 14, 2009, 10:10 PM
miss stone
quote:
Originally posted by shannonact1:
Thank you Miss Stone for taking the time to post this information. This is a huge help to the up-and-coming actors (me) who intend on making the move to L.A. (me). A definite reminder to plan, plan, plan!

Glad to help!!
March 15, 2009, 11:48 AM
FaithLove
This topic is a little misleading.

Most of it I agree with
However No, you don't have to get headshots every 6 months even if you are a girl. Only if you drastically change your look.

And no, if you are just starting out you don't have to take 10 classes a year. Just a few until you are more stable I think should be fine.
March 15, 2009, 12:03 PM
Morgin Felicia
Listen to this awesome deal I found in Staples for envelopes...

pack of 12 for... $3.50
Pack of 100 for.. $8.00!!!!
I was excited.

Great post! Big Grin

----------------
Just to endure is a triumph.
March 15, 2009, 02:46 PM
FaithLove
thanks morgin!
March 15, 2009, 02:48 PM
Morgin Felicia
No problem. Well worth it! LOL!

----------------
March 15, 2009, 03:13 PM
FaithLove
are these large envelopes?
March 15, 2009, 04:00 PM
Morgin Felicia
9 X 12.

----------------
March 15, 2009, 05:40 PM
miss stone
quote:
Originally posted by FaithLove:
This topic is a little misleading.

Most of it I agree with
However No, you don't have to get headshots every 6 months even if you are a girl. Only if you drastically change your look.

And no, if you are just starting out you don't have to take 10 classes a year. Just a few until you are more stable I think should be fine.

Misleading? Well, maybe for those a little more financially blessed a lot of this doesn't apply.

And I specified ONLY if you change your look. For the most part this info is DEAD ON.

I also think until you are working steadily in the field you should always be training to some degree. It keeps your work fresh and from going stale which is a big issue when there are long gaps between gigs as is frequently the case in this business.
March 21, 2009, 05:50 PM
Fe
headshots $400- $600? really? and how many copies do you get?

acting classes $800 for 12 weeks at my school

where do you attend? because I thought of a 12 week program that costs 2.000!

tahnks for the post, it's been really useful!
April 01, 2009, 11:42 AM
Morgin Felicia
bump

----------------
April 01, 2009, 01:00 PM
DanR
Try www.primaatlanta.com for headshots. I don't about the quality and I believe they will send you samples. The price didn't seem to bad and the price for touchups seems decent. gotprint.com is cheap for some things.
The expense of living in L.A. is almost mind boggling and the jobs are tough. I have a daughter that graduated from FIDM and is still going to school. She hasn't gotten a call back from even wal-mart and she has a college degree.
She decide to do an internship at the Ford Agency but it isn't paid. They really like her so maybe it will turn into something. They call her their super intern. Guess who pays for the car and groceries. Me (dad). Her rent is 1230 a month split 3 ways and elec etc... Tough to pay with out a job. Now my 15 year old might move there. She is with an agency here and they are working on placing her there and she might have a manager soon. There are no guarantees with anything. She was just in L.A. and met with the Clear Talent Group and they said no for now and she has had coaching and is continuing that and has a small resume. I guess I always told them to go after their dreams I guess I should have said and don't ask dad to pay for it. I think you should always figure high on things because they a lot of times ending up costing more. Miss Stone I assume you have an actin class am I correct? My daughter worked with Chambers Stevens whane she was in L.A. last summer and he might be too busy to put hr on as a regular and we are shopping around we do have a few in mind. She is currently working with Michelle Htchison and Lynn Blumental casting in Minneapolis. It's a tough world especially now but hopefully with a lot of hard work and a lot of luck it will ork for some. My daughter has a friend that's been there for 3 years and is finally getting his breaks and they are calling hin an overnight success. It only took 3 years. Thanks for the informative post.
April 07, 2009, 10:09 PM
halfpint
I just ran across this post and it is great advice. I work as a Registered Nurse "on the side", and it keeps my bank account at bay with all of the demands of the business. I had pretty much forgotten my dream until a year ago when I was asked to work on a tv show and it brought all of those warm and fuzzy feelings back!! I am very excited, but also a little leary and reserved because of all of the scame out there. My first goal after my acting classes is to do some Theater to rewet my feet. I would like to know the benefits of joining SAG and or AFTRA. I am actually SAG ellig. after the show I did this year (got a lot of waivers), but I just want to know the benefits of it, which I have heard both pro's and con's about, but no real in depth reasoning. Any info would be appreciated!

8-)
April 24, 2009, 02:14 AM
eyezoncash
Mystique,

I have a video response for you :-)

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/...9/mystique_response/

www.YouReallyShouldBeFollowingMe.com
The chronicles of a stage artist: from obscurity to world wide recognition.