home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  New Actors Only    pay to create a web series? (for the intent of taft hartley)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pay to create a web series? (for the intent of taft hartley) Login/Join

Sean Penn
Picture of It'sRainingGlitter!
posted
Ok so I had a quick question. I've been doing research on the unions and the taft hartley business, and I think I get it now.
HOWEVER my roommate just signed up with a service where they put together one webisode so that you can use the new media rule and become sag eligible. I keep reading that being taft hartley is a good thing and the best way to join the union but has anyone ever paid for that kind of thing before?
She paid 500 bucks to them and she had to fill out all the paperwork and she wants me to do it but something doesn't sit right with me. I feel like if I had that much money I should be putting it into classes to start booking on my own.
I don't know, we are just taking 2 different paths (which is totally fine you never know when something will work for someone)but I feel like I do all this research and classes where she is taking the approach to pay for the classes that are like 60 a piece with casting directors and signs up at like explore talent and that kind of thing. I don't want to push my own opinions on her but sometimes I worry that she is getting herself scammed and spending money that might be better spent.
But I really don't know, but I am trying to learn everything I can so I can go about this the right way.
Thoughts?
Has anyone paid for a service like that?

"It's almost more fun that way, when you've got something to prove" -Taylor Swift

Posts: 29 | Location: Spokane | Registered: May 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
She's dumb. Explore Talent is a SCAM and Casting Director Workshops are NOT classes. Even if she was SAG-AFTRA, I doubt she can cut it with the SAG-AFTRA people who are well trained and actually working.

Is the quality of the production any good for this service? If the $500 is going to PROFESSIONAL sound and Camera Equipment and a well written script then it can be worth it if you're a great actor and can get a great clip from it. It's probably not worth it from her.

You can actually get taft hartleyed by just filing out the paper work and not actually shooting the project. Or it can be shot on a camera phone.

Posts: 2135 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Truth definitely going to go this New Media route and taft myself this coming week. quick question though, do you have to have a SAG actor in good standing cast in your project to be eligible still or no?

Posts: 9 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
Yes, you must have at least one fully paid up union actor for it to qualify as SAG AFTRA New Media

Posts: 2135 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking too. But then part of my thought maybe I was being harsh out of feeling slight competition. (Which is stupid and neurotic because we are not the same type so I can't consider her competition but that's besides the point...)
But I know for a fact neither of us are ready for the union. We will not work against the people who have been at this longer/more professionally. I keep trying to get her to sign up for LA casting but she won't so it. I think she wants to mostly get discovered rather then be a working actor. Which who knows maybe she will I never say never, but I definitely want to treat my own career like the rule rather then an exception.

sigh.

Thanks for the help Truth, I knew I could count on you to give it to me straight.

Now I shall continue my quest to get into an improv class at UCB Smiler that seems like a good use for my money (or credit card.. yikes) Smiler

"It's almost more fun that way, when you've got something to prove" -Taylor Swift

Posts: 29 | Location: Spokane | Registered: May 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
as for the quality I'm not sure, she just shot it yesterday. If she had told me about this before she paid them I would have tried to talk her out of it. But unfortunately it's no good now. I guess we will see what it turns out like.

Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
Won't join LACasting but will join a scam like Explore Talent?! She is dumb!

Anthony Hopkins
posted Hide Post
You don't need to pay 500 bucks to make a webisode, you just have to do a little paperwork and get a SAG actor to help you out, and there are enough of them around that it is not hard. Even you can't find on, you can hire one for a lot less then 500.

Posts: 716 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I thought so! (in response to Iceman. But my main thing with this whole debacle is, if I was going to try and get myself in using the new media approach I would much rather actually get involved with and/or try to get a legit web series actually produced. (realizing this is definitely hard to do, but my major from college actually puts me in decent connection with the types of people necessary to get something like that running.
I mean maybe it's just a pride thing but I would rather put 500 bucks towards producing my own web series and have something to show for the effort.

Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Fun fact: For the purposes of Taft-Hartlyeying (now that's a word) yourself into the Union via the New Media, it does have to be a "legit" project. In theory the union can say "This is a BS project" and not let someone in. I've never seen it happen, but it can happen if anyone bothers to take a look...although right now they might just take her $3K and dues until she stops paying them.

On the other hand, some really great web serieses have been done with nothing more than webcams and a normal handhelf camera.

You're right on the money here, and if she doesn't want to listen she's just going to end up out of a lot of money and out of work. I meet a depressingly large number of women who think they're going to be in something and get "discovered" even as background....but what can you do? It's Darwinian Evolution.

Posts: 965 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of melissadlugatch
posted Hide Post
I've seen photographers start to offer this recently, and I'd never heard of it. Makes no sense. Almost seems unfair that you can "buy" your way into becoming SAG eligible, without earning it, if that makes sense. Although to be honest, if I had the money to buy my way in, I probably would!
Nothing in the business is really "fair" anyways, is it? It's probably the only job that can get away with asking for a specific sex, race, or age in their description. This would normally be illegal.
I guess it's not too different than well established actors putting their friends & family in their films, or directors hiring those willing to offer sexual favors.

I'm just wondering how far that will take you though. It will get your foot in the door, but will you get any farther than that? I'm sure everyone in the industry will have access to how you got your SAG card, and if you paid to be in a webseries - how will they feel about that?

Posts: 9 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I actually made a New Media project, taft hartleyed myself and friend and got it on IMDB. I can honestly say I learned *so* much from the entire project. I learned a lot about casting, things that Actors do that really made me hire them and things I hope I never do in the audition room. I also have a great respect for Producers, Directors and casting Directors.

If you'd like help I'd be happy to help!

Callie Harlan
Adorable feistiness mixed with a defiant dark-side

http://www.youtube.com/user/CallieNYC
www.CallieHarlan.com

Posts: 42 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: January 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post