home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  New Actors Only    Best Beginner Acting Classes?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Beginner Acting Classes? Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drasnian:
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Is it better to get training before signing up for Actors Access and LA Casting or should I do both simultaneously?

Are there many opportunities on those sites if I don't have representation?

Those are the two sites you HAVE to join. When you get an agent, you'll have to join those sites for that's where agents submit their clients through.

These are also the only two serious sites where there's opportunity to build your resume and clip library as well.

Posts: 1834 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you decide which classes are advantageous as an ongoing basis as opposed to something you'd only take once?

Posts: 7 | Location: OC | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, what is the duration of most courses? I am in a grad program (completely unrelated to acting) and only have time to take classes during summer and winter break at the moment until I graduate.

Posts: 7 | Location: OC | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, what is the duration of most courses? I am in a grad program (completely unrelated to acting) and only have time to take classes during summer and winter break at the moment until I graduate.

Normally, class sessions are in month blocks (4 weeks).

Most month long classes are once a week and some are twice a week.

Posts: 1834 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do you decide which classes are advantageous as an ongoing basis as opposed to something you'd only take once?

If you're honest with yourself, you should know if you're growing or not. If you're not growing, leave. The teacher isn't going to be butt-hurt.

posted Hide Post
Thank you, Truth! I really appreciate your input and advice. I'm trying to find out as much as possible about the industry so that I'm be ready post-grad with a plan of action to pursue acting seriously and efficiently.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Hey Drasnian, check out Tess Kirsch for a cold reading teacher/on going coach as well. She teaches the same style as Annie G and Saxon T but has a special knack for training actors who go out for college age roles and below. Lots of other actors your age(Master Young Actors Class), and has been great with helping me channel my theatre acting skills into on camera skills.

Posts: 12 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LA.BA-Theatre Student, what kind of style do they teach? It seems to be on camera, if that's a style? I checked out Tess's website and the Masters Young Actor's Class is invite only and has an age limit (16-23). I am in my mid twenties, but often get mistaken for a high schooler. Would I be eligible based on actual age or what age I can portray?

posted Hide Post
quote:
LA.BA-Theatre Student, what kind of style do they teach? It seems to be on camera, if that's a style? I checked out Tess's website and the Masters Young Actor's Class is invite only and has an age limit (16-23). I am in my mid twenties, but often get mistaken for a high schooler. Would I be eligible based on actual age or what age I can portray?

You'd probably be in her Wednesday adult class.

Tess, Annie, and Saxon focus on imagination and creating the other person.

Tess also used to teach at Margie Haber Studios like Annie and Saxon too so the class setup is similar.

FIRST, take the audition intensive with either Annie or Saxon. And as an ongoing class, Tess is probably the best deal because she's cheaper and she invites a casting director during the last week of class. If it's a 6 week class, then a comedy cd 3rd week and a dramatic cd 6th week.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Yes, imagination like TT said. I took the audition intensive with Annie, then did Tess' groundworks(script analysis) class, and after that she recommended I take the Master Young Actors class, which I do as an ongoing. After the groundwork's class she'll recommend you take either the master class or advanced adult class depending on what types of projects you go out for more. Predominately high school aged roles=master young actors. There are mid twenties peeps in both classes.

Posts: 12 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone refer me to acting classes in Orange County? Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Location: orange county | Registered: October 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ocmom2005:
Can anyone refer me to acting classes in Orange County? Thanks.

R.J. Adams of the Actors Workshop is good.

South Coast Repertory is good too, but it's more theatre oriented and is more for hobbyists and retirees.

Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
Truth, I have a question about Warhit too. How often do u do a new scene and do u have to be off book?

What if you aren't ready to do the showcase thing at the end of the 4rth week? I am in no shape to show anything to directors.

Posts: 106 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie200:
Truth, I have a question about Warhit too. How often do u do a new scene and do u have to be off book?

What if you aren't ready to do the showcase thing at the end of the 4rth week? I am in no shape to show anything to directors.

Week 1: cold read a scene, off camera reader, audition style

Week 2: new scene, same deal as week 1

Week 3: scene with a partner, for sure be off book if you're presenting it week 4

Week 4: showcase either week 1,2, or 3. Off book for week 3. You can hold your sides if you do week 1 or 2. I think it's better if you are off book.

posted Hide Post
Hi Truthteller-unfortunately RJ Adams in OC does not teach anyone under 16 and I have a 7 yr. She's been wanting to get into acting for a while now and want to be able to give her any "edge" possible by going to acting classes.

Posts: 2 | Location: orange county | Registered: October 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post