home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  New Actors Only    Best Beginner Acting Classes?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Best Beginner Acting Classes? Login/Join
 
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Truth, I have a question about Warhit too. How often do u do a new scene and do u have to be off book?

What if you aren't ready to do the showcase thing at the end of the 4rth week? I am in no shape to show anything to directors.
 
Posts: 101 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie200:
Truth, I have a question about Warhit too. How often do u do a new scene and do u have to be off book?

What if you aren't ready to do the showcase thing at the end of the 4rth week? I am in no shape to show anything to directors.


Week 1: cold read a scene, off camera reader, audition style

Week 2: new scene, same deal as week 1

Week 3: scene with a partner, for sure be off book if you're presenting it week 4

Week 4: showcase either week 1,2, or 3. Off book for week 3. You can hold your sides if you do week 1 or 2. I think it's better if you are off book.
 
Posts: 2134 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Newbie
posted Hide Post
Hi Truthteller-unfortunately RJ Adams in OC does not teach anyone under 16 and I have a 7 yr. She's been wanting to get into acting for a while now and want to be able to give her any "edge" possible by going to acting classes.
 
Posts: 2 | Location: orange county | Registered: October 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ocmom2005:
Hi Truthteller-unfortunately RJ Adams in OC does not teach anyone under 16 and I have a 7 yr. She's been wanting to get into acting for a while now and want to be able to give her any "edge" possible by going to acting classes.

For that young, I don't think she needs classes. Kids are the best because they know how to use their imagination and don't give a crap.
 
Posts: 2134 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by ocmom2005:
Hi Truthteller-unfortunately RJ Adams in OC does not teach anyone under 16 and I have a 7 yr. She's been wanting to get into acting for a while now and want to be able to give her any "edge" possible by going to acting classes.

For that young, I don't think she needs classes. Kids are the best because they know how to use their imagination and don't give a crap.


Right, but acting classes help them even more.
 
Posts: 71 | Location: LA | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by actorla23:
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by ocmom2005:
Hi Truthteller-unfortunately RJ Adams in OC does not teach anyone under 16 and I have a 7 yr. She's been wanting to get into acting for a while now and want to be able to give her any "edge" possible by going to acting classes.

For that young, I don't think she needs classes. Kids are the best because they know how to use their imagination and don't give a crap.


Right, but acting classes help them even more.

At age 7?!

Actually an improv class would be appropriate. Second City has a kids program.

But a script analysis or some heavy technical class? NOPE! Meisner, Adler, Strasberg, etc. are for adults who have forgotten how to use their imagination.
 
Posts: 2134 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by actorla23:
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by ocmom2005:
Hi Truthteller-unfortunately RJ Adams in OC does not teach anyone under 16 and I have a 7 yr. She's been wanting to get into acting for a while now and want to be able to give her any "edge" possible by going to acting classes.

For that young, I don't think she needs classes. Kids are the best because they know how to use their imagination and don't give a crap.


Right, but acting classes help them even more.

At age 7?!

Actually an improv class would be appropriate. Second City has a kids program.

But a script analysis or some heavy technical class? NOPE! Meisner, Adler, Strasberg, etc. are for adults who have forgotten how to use their imagination.


Not just improv, teachers such as Lisa Picotte teach also cold reading and scene study for children as young as 5. I know not the heavy stuff though.
 
Posts: 71 | Location: LA | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Do you guys take a break from your scene study/technique classes when taking an auditioning classes?

Has anyone taken them at the same time?

Seems like it would be hard to get the lines down for two scenes at the same time... plus audition classes are usually a new scene each time...
 
Posts: 101 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
I normally take time off of a scene study class for an audition class.
 
Posts: 2134 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Newbie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the awesome information Truthteller / stumbleine. So real quick question, what kind of class should i take first as a beginner? improv / commercial / Auditioning / or Scene Study? or should i be taking some of the classes concurrently?

I've only done 2 small gigs as a non-speaking extra in my mid 20s. I'm about to turn 30, and I want to start taking acting more seriously and learn the craft. Thanks for the advice!
 
Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elsung:
Thanks for the awesome information Truthteller / stumbleine. So real quick question, what kind of class should i take first as a beginner? improv / commercial / Auditioning / or Scene Study? or should i be taking some of the classes concurrently?

I've only done 2 small gigs as a non-speaking extra in my mid 20s. I'm about to turn 30, and I want to start taking acting more seriously and learn the craft. Thanks for the advice!


Improv.
 
Posts: 2134 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Newbie
posted Hide Post
Cool. will check out imrov classes! thanks =)
 
Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Newbie
posted Hide Post
What about improv in OC, any good schools?
 
Posts: 1 | Location: LA | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chienowa:
What about improv in OC, any good schools?

LA or nothing.
 
Posts: 2134 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Newbie
posted Hide Post
A sincere thank you to you Stumbeline and TruthTeller59 for always being so open and passionate about giving your honest and unfiltered response. I wish you both great success.

thanks.
 
Posts: 10 | Location: los angeles, ca | Registered: January 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  New Actors Only    Best Beginner Acting Classes?

© 2013 Back Stage. All rights reserved.