home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  New Actors Only    Best Beginner Acting Classes?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Beginner Acting Classes? Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ocmom2005:
Hi Truthteller-unfortunately RJ Adams in OC does not teach anyone under 16 and I have a 7 yr. She's been wanting to get into acting for a while now and want to be able to give her any "edge" possible by going to acting classes.

For that young, I don't think she needs classes. Kids are the best because they know how to use their imagination and don't give a crap.

Posts: 1928 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Hi Truthteller-unfortunately RJ Adams in OC does not teach anyone under 16 and I have a 7 yr. She's been wanting to get into acting for a while now and want to be able to give her any "edge" possible by going to acting classes.

For that young, I don't think she needs classes. Kids are the best because they know how to use their imagination and don't give a crap.

Right, but acting classes help them even more.

Posts: 69 | Location: LA | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by actorla23:
quote:
quote:

At age 7?!

Actually an improv class would be appropriate. Second City has a kids program.

But a script analysis or some heavy technical class? NOPE! Meisner, Adler, Strasberg, etc. are for adults who have forgotten how to use their imagination.

Posts: 1928 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by actorla23:
quote:
quote:

At age 7?!

Actually an improv class would be appropriate. Second City has a kids program.

But a script analysis or some heavy technical class? NOPE! Meisner, Adler, Strasberg, etc. are for adults who have forgotten how to use their imagination.

Not just improv, teachers such as Lisa Picotte teach also cold reading and scene study for children as young as 5. I know not the heavy stuff though.

Posts: 69 | Location: LA | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Do you guys take a break from your scene study/technique classes when taking an auditioning classes?

Has anyone taken them at the same time?

Seems like it would be hard to get the lines down for two scenes at the same time... plus audition classes are usually a new scene each time...

Posts: 98 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I normally take time off of a scene study class for an audition class.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the awesome information Truthteller / stumbleine. So real quick question, what kind of class should i take first as a beginner? improv / commercial / Auditioning / or Scene Study? or should i be taking some of the classes concurrently?

I've only done 2 small gigs as a non-speaking extra in my mid 20s. I'm about to turn 30, and I want to start taking acting more seriously and learn the craft. Thanks for the advice!

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elsung:
Thanks for the awesome information Truthteller / stumbleine. So real quick question, what kind of class should i take first as a beginner? improv / commercial / Auditioning / or Scene Study? or should i be taking some of the classes concurrently?

I've only done 2 small gigs as a non-speaking extra in my mid 20s. I'm about to turn 30, and I want to start taking acting more seriously and learn the craft. Thanks for the advice!

Improv.

posted Hide Post
Cool. will check out imrov classes! thanks =)

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about improv in OC, any good schools?

Posts: 1 | Location: LA | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chienowa:
What about improv in OC, any good schools?

LA or nothing.

posted Hide Post
A sincere thank you to you Stumbeline and TruthTeller59 for always being so open and passionate about giving your honest and unfiltered response. I wish you both great success.

thanks.

Posts: 8 | Location: los angeles, ca | Registered: January 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is Warner Loughlin Studios well known for their technique (drama or comedy) classes or the scene study classes?

Posts: 2 | Location: Singapore | Registered: March 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone recommend classes that work in more than two person scenes? Most of the on-camera classes I've been in are either in an audition format or in a two person scene format which have been super helpful. It doesn't necessarily have to be on-camera, though I'd prefer it. I was doing a lot of theater before I took on camera classes and started doing short films and student films (which also normally don't have that many characters), I got all my stillness for the camera, dropped bad habits and all the other basic things you learn in on camera classes...I'm also currently in improv classes and do perform with lots of other people. I'm having a little bit of trouble incorporating everything when I'm handed a script with scenes with more characters in it. I didn't realize this was a problem until recently because it hadn't really come up yet,and when it did I was really thrown. I'm currently looking into auditing Brad Greenquist's class because it looks like you work on different types of camera situations,walking and talking, etc. Any imput or other recommendations guys?

Posts: 6 | Location: SoCal | Registered: August 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LASoCal:
Can anyone recommend classes that work in more than two person scenes? Most of the on-camera classes I've been in are either in an audition format or in a two person scene format which have been super helpful. It doesn't necessarily have to be on-camera, though I'd prefer it.

The way most of the on camera classes are designed, I would think it'd be hard to do more than two people.

But if you're in a good non camera class, I'm sure you can bring in a scene that has at least two other people.