home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  New Actors Only    Torn between Killian McHugh or Stuart K Robinson.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Torn between Killian McHugh or Stuart K Robinson. Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I think Carolyne is a bit behind on camera technique, but I do think it's good to practice both. There are some auditions where I was allowed to hold the sides, but most of the time it was hand them in and either improvise keeping the main points in mind or using the cue card.

Posts: 1710 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well in Carolyne's intro class, you'll be with Amy for about half of the classes. She has a totally different energy than Carolyne but she's great as well.

In Amy's class, you work extensively with cue cards. I don't think I ever took commercial copy up there...

However, Carolyne doesn't focus on cue cards.

"We can only keep that which we give away..."

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of James Wagner
posted Hide Post
I have not taken classes from anyone but Carolyne Barry. What I can say... my experience is that she deeply cares about her students. I find that if a person really cares... if they really love their students, everything else falls into place. She cares. she cares enough to tell you the truth even if you don't want to hear it... because it will help you. She cares enough to spend an unbelievable amount of time improving the materials and courses that she gives the her students. if you haven't read her book or watched the videos on her Mastertalentteachers.com websites, check out those amazing resources! good luck with whatever you choose to do. - James Wagner

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
After going to Stuart K last year, I decided to sign up for Killians this year. I'm doing this mostly bc Killian is a "hotter" flavor, and I'm curious to see what else there is to know/learn. I'd also like to be on his radar and see if that dvd he sends out will help me get any bites.

Posts: 45 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
KILLAIN!!! I refer everyone to him.

I took his class, booked a National. Took his callback, booked again. In ONE year after his class, I was on avail 9 times and booked 5. It's a new year and I've already booked 2 and avail for 3.

He's worth it! Love, love, LOVE him!

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
The foundation Killian class is taught by someone other than Killian..Eric Almquist... Is he good?

Posts: 11 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Hi, sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm also wondering if Eric Almquist is just as good as Killian? And is the general consensus still Killian > Robinson?

I see a lot of posters with a post count of 2 pimping Carolyne Barry, which turns me off (yes I realize my post count is only 1 right now, but I'm not promoting anything in my post).

Posts: 92 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how good Eric Almquist is, but Killian apparently trusts him.

There was someone on here who did study with both Killian and Stuart K. Robinson. Hopefully, she finds this and chimes in.

Stuart is a working actor so he's clearly doing something right. Killian is great because he gives you the worst case scenario of a real commercial audition.

Posts: 1710 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
I don't know how good Eric Almquist is, but Killian apparently trusts him.

There was someone on here who did study with both Killian and Stuart K. Robinson. Hopefully, she finds this and chimes in.

Stuart is a working actor so he's clearly doing something right. Killian is great because he gives you the worst case scenario of a real commercial audition.

Bump.

Is Killian really that much better than Robinson? Killian's class is booked for the next two months, so I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for? Or if I should go somewhere else? Judy Kain? Francine Selkirk-Akerman? Ideally I would like to get an agent out of it, or at least learn the best way how.

If anyone with a post count of less than 10 plugs Carolyne Barry, I will ignore you and wish you meet the fiery depths of hell.

Posts: 92 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
If anyone with a post count of less than 10 plugs Carolyne Barry, I will ignore you and wish you meet the fiery depths of hell.

LMAO

Posts: 160 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: October 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I studied with Stuart K. Robinson for a while. His method did not work for me. I think the issue is that he REALLY makes actors in his classes analyze commercials. This technique is great for breaking down scripts, but it put me too in my head for commercials. It did not work for me and I stopped getting callbacks.
Most of my auditions for commercials have been the same day and I've had less than two hours to prepare the copy.
I took Terry Berland's class before Stuart's. I was getting callbacks after her class. I highly recommend her workshop.
Killian is a genius. I took a private with him and am now taking his workshop. He gives you the tools you need to break down copy quickly and bring yourself to the piece. I'd go with Killian over Stuart.

Posts: 10 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: March 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post