home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  New Actors Only    New actress dilemma...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New actress dilemma... Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone. I've been lurking on this forum for a while so this is my first post.

I have a dilemma. I am a new actress. My friend has this friend who is working on a film and she recommended me to him because this will be his first film as well as mine. We met for the first time yesterday and we read some sides from his script together.

I didn't get to read the entire script until this morning because he just emailed it to me and I didn't really enjoy it. I feel like that makes me sound like such a snob but I am trying my best to get my feelings across. It just doesn't flow well. It reads like it's the first draft of a script and not an actual completed one. Also, it's extremely jumpy and the end is super rushed.

I'm feeling bad about my feelings because he has already assumed that I am going to play the role and I don't know if I should just stick with it because we're all first-timers or back-out. Sorry for rambling but it made me feel a bit better lol.

Posts: 2 | Location: New York | Registered: September 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I suppose it depends on just how new you are. Look at it from maybe his point of view - right now he could be saying something similar about you "I read with this actor and she wasn't that great, etc., etc."

If you're really brand spanking new and this isn't something that will take absolute loads of your time, do it for the experience. You're as green as he is.

Posts: 129 | Location: Chicago | Registered: January 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
Picture of shaymarie
posted Hide Post
I agree with Victrola. I'm new as well, and one of the first parts I took was playing the part of a heinous bitch. Do I think the script was flawless? No. Do I think the part fit with my "type"? No way. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

If you have the time, do it for the experience. Look at it as an exercise in taking a so-so script and improving it with your performance. Make the part your own, and add depth with your personality, so you come off as more than a one-dimensional snob. Make it a challenge.

Sidenote: Even when you aren't green, you'll find that it's often your job as an actor to take a not so great script and bring it to life. You aren't always going to be 100% in love every part you play.

Posts: 31 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: March 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for your input. I kind of agree with you that's why I wasn't sure what to do. I definitely could use some more experience.

Posts: 2 | Location: New York | Registered: September 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post