home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Big Picture  Hop To Forums  Off Topic...    Frustration as an Actor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frustration as an Actor Login/Join

posted
I'm a college freshman who just started college this year. Before this, acting has been a very big part of my life, I went to studio classes in NYC (one with the same teacher for over 3 years who I have grown very fond of)And have been working with a management to try and find work. (As well as pursuing work myself via casting notices online)
Now that I am starting college, (relatively far from NYC) I won't be able to go on auditions, I have to stop with the studio classes, and will be much less involved with acting in general.
Now I am taking advantage of every opportunity in college that involve acting, but there aren't many at all. I went to a liberal arts college because I do want to study other things, but I could NEVER see myself pursuing another career. And I physically and mentally feel the need to act, and I am frustrated because I lack opportunities. (Not to mention I will miss the guidance of my teacher a lot) But the lack of acting, is physically toll taking on me, and I feel as though I'm wasting time while I could be pursuing this career. But leaving college is not an option for me. I would really appreciate any advice that could help me deal with this frustration. Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
If you're not enjoying the school you're at because of the lack of acting opportunities, then it sounds like you need to transfer to a different school. Either one that has a bigger acting program that would satisfy you, or one that is in or close to NYC so you could go back to your acting there. There are so many colleges in NYC, where you could learn other things like you say, in addition to doing the acting that you love.

Posts: 120 | Location: New York | Registered: August 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Dude,

If you really want to act you should work on your own youtube channel. Get a buddy with a camera and some great audio equipment and act out your own material. You wont be going on auditions, but at least you will be acting and generating enough martial for a reel.
Unless you are a Theatrical Actor then the same applies, put on and film your own plays.

- Tim

p.s "That rug really tied the room together, did it not?"

Posts: 12 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: September 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim & Jess:
Hey Dude,

If you really want to act you should work on your own youtube channel. Get a buddy with a camera and some great audio equipment and act out your own material. You wont be going on auditions, but at least you will be acting and generating enough martial for a reel.
Unless you are a Theatrical Actor then the same applies, put on and film your own plays.

- Tim

Not very good advice to do that. Your work will only go to show everyone watching your channel including CD's and agents how amateur you really are. Bad idea but here's a good idea. Get plenty of good training in a workshop!

Posts: 84 | Location: Huntington Beach | Registered: July 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm not very tech savvy, nor do I really write/film. It would be nice to do that just for fun, but I want to do more professional work, like I'm used to. I would LOVE to take workshops, but my college doesn't have a very active theater department/club (far less then I expected) The class is full so I have to wait until next semester, and I've tried to find all of the acting opportunities in the school, but had no luck. And I feel the urge to be involved, I have been acting for so long that this sudden break is physically making me feel like something is missing. I have also somewhat looked into programs outside of the school, in the city nearby, for opportunities but it's not like a big city, so their probably aren't many. I'll keep looking, but I'm debating on whether I should transfer to a school that has more acting opportunities, or wait it out a bit and see what happens next semester. Any opinions on that? Thanks, I appreciate the advice!

Posts: 3 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim & Jess:
Hey Dude,

- Tim

And Tim, that rug really did tie the room together. Poor guy just wanted a new rug.

posted Hide Post
The filming reels is just to get some practice, but everyone has a different approach to acting. Some prefer to learn techniques and rules while others prefer to channel real past emotions or experiences for the character.
It depends on who you are and how you feel about acting.

- Tim

Posts: 12 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: September 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post