home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Things You Wish Someone Had Told You
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things You Wish Someone Had Told You Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catnaps:
Get the Gas Buddy app! The map will show current prices at all of the stations near you.

You use that actually! Know any good ones for traffic? I was using Wayze, but the navigation on it kind of sucks. Still use it once in a while to gauge which routes will be faster.

Posts: 88 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SomeButthole:
quote:
Originally posted by catnaps:
Get the Gas Buddy app! The map will show current prices at all of the stations near you.

You use that actually! Know any good ones for traffic? I was using Wayze, but the navigation on it kind of sucks. Still use it once in a while to gauge which routes will be faster.

Waze is bomb for gas prices and navigation IMO.

Posts: 39 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWong37:

Waze is bomb for gas prices and navigation IMO.

Best part about Waze is the Elvis voice (go into the settings and you can change the voice navigation settings so that while driving, Elvis is giving you directions!).

Posts: 94 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stumbleine:
Don’t tell ANYONE if you have money. Not even your friends.

Holy crap, please re-read this rule over and over again. It's so true. It's true with your friends and your family. Even if your family and friends are perfectly normal and well-off people, ALWAYS be vague about how much you earn and how much you have currently.

Don't believe it? Totally understandable. There was a time when I wouldn't have believed this either. I recommend you not follow the rule, as that will be the only real way you can understand why it's so important.

This has less to do with LA and more to do with basic human nature. People WILL treat you differently when they know (again, when they know - that part is important) you have a high income or a high amount in your checking/savings.

Posts: 50 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Anyone who acts like they're hot sh!t is probably not hot sh!t at all.

You will come across people who will try to indirectly convince you that they make things happen in the industry (probably calling themselves a producer, even though they are not in any real way).

Posts: 50 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gladstone:
quote:
Originally posted by stumbleine:
Don’t tell ANYONE if you have money. Not even your friends.

Holy crap, please re-read this rule over and over again. It's so true. It's true with your friends and your family. Even if your family and friends are perfectly normal and well-off people, ALWAYS be vague about how much you earn and how much you have currently.

Don't believe it? Totally understandable. There was a time when I wouldn't have believed this either. I recommend you not follow the rule, as that will be the only real way you can understand why it's so important.

This has less to do with LA and more to do with basic human nature. People WILL treat you differently when they know (again, when they know - that part is important) you have a high income or a high amount in your checking/savings.

I would extend this to booking jobs and so forth also. I learned, the hard way, that most of your actor friends are only friendly inasmuch as they feel you're at the same level, or lower on the totem pole, than they are. If you start booking, and they aren't booking..LOL friend becomes "frenemy" damn quick.

Here's the rule I now live by, whether, it's work, money, relationships, etc. DON'T SAY NUTHING ABOUT NUTHIN. If you book, let your agent crow about it, and let casting people know. If you have money, SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT. If you score a hot girl..her being on your arm is all the info people need. shut up about the rest. Source: Long, hard bitter experience Smiler

Posts: 90 | Location: NY | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
This is a great thread..and as said throughout..KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. No-one who's competing with you wants to hear YOUR good news!

Posts: 94 | Location: NYC  | Registered: August 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
I only start hating them if they are my type, or similar in age. I can hear all about my female friends booking work all the time, and am happy for them.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post