Backstage Message Board
Things You Wish Someone Had Told You

This topic can be found at:
http://bbs.backstage.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9131061/m/989105573

April 10, 2013, 09:44 AM
Fishgurl
Things You Wish Someone Had Told You
There's some good stuff on this thread and it should thus be bumped for those planning to make the move in the next few months.
April 12, 2013, 07:37 AM
ActorinLA
I wish they told me:
-go to classes and learn the skill
-get this thing every actor uses called 8x10 and a resume
-women will be your friend if they think you can offer them something nice that they want and men will like you very much for no reason.
-If you go meet an agent and he tells you to sign up with Central Casting or to play drums on the streets of Venice beach for money, then wants to date you, nicely walk away
-dont believe every stranger that approaches you with promises of work.
-audition
-Get an agent
-Get an education
-dont believe everyone offering you a part in a movie and go audition more for legit casting directors
-your interest should not be fame, but to learn to be a working actor.
-Anyone promising you a break is a lie.
-there are these things called scams
- Listen to your parents and if youre under 21, dont come here alone yet
-As you age in LA, men will begin to dislike you and women will become good friends.

ActorinLa.com
April 12, 2013, 12:45 PM
MeagMarie
A few silly things. Smiler

!.) You will get parking tickets! I don't care if you are Mensa there is no one smart enough on this planet to correctly interpret LA street signs all the time. Or you will forget about street sweeping. Haha! Seriously set aside $300 at the beginning of the year and just accept it is gone Wink

2.) Someone driving a nice car in LA does NOT mean they have money. The guy/gal driving the new Mercedes may have a $500 a month car payment and is living in a shit hole apt. that also cost $500 a month. People live in their cars in LA a lot of people spend cash to drive a nice one. (PS this theory goes for wears nice clothes/carries designer purse/orders the bottle service etc. etc. etc.)

3.) Anyone can put anything on a business card, they are cheap to print and easy to hand out. Keep that in mind.

4.) You will eat out A LOT in LA! "Let's do lunch/brunch/coffee/midnight snack/second breakfast...whatever." Get ready to spend cash on this.

5.) While you do not want to be the pushy jerk actor also don't be afraid to take advantage of opportunities when they arise. I turned down cigars with an A-lister once because I didn't think I was dressed up enough to go, a date with a powerful VP because I didn't want to seem like a gold digger and a lot of parties because I was tired/worn out/didn't think I had the right outfit etc. (I was a lot younger at that time.) It sounds stupid now, but when you are young I think sometimes you think those chances will just come back by. Take them when they are there!!!

7.) Remember why you are there, why you came and what your dream is. It is all too easy to get sucked into "the lifestyle" and completely forget why you came to Los Angeles in the first place. Do one thing every day to center yourself (call home, do yoga, have a cup of tea and read a book) and do one thing every day to advance your career.

8.) Remember that a huge percentage of those people who "just made it" have been in the industry for years and working hard on making it. Do your research very few people just woke up and booked the big role one day, but the out of nowhere success story is a much better sell on a magazine cover than the story of the person who worked hard for ten years in bit parts and waiting tables to get there. (I think the hard work story is more interesting, but Hollywood loves that overnight success thing.) Take a look just on IMDB a lot of A-list celebrities "big break" role was not anywhere near their first. It just sounds better to spin it that way. Wink

And remember it is a marathon not a sprint. Enjoy the journey!
April 12, 2013, 12:52 PM
Trillian
quote:
!.) You will get parking tickets! I don't care if you are Mensa there is no one smart enough on this planet to correctly interpret LA street signs all the time. Or you will forget about street sweeping. Haha! Seriously set aside $300 at the beginning of the year and just accept it is gone Wink

That's funny. I am Mensa (argh, I joined once but never renewed, I guess I just had to prove that Mensa is no big deal) and I did get a ticket last year. I can't remember exactly where or why but I did get a parking ticket!
April 12, 2013, 03:23 PM
makemefamous
quote:
Originally posted by MeagMarie:
A few silly things. Smiler

2.) Someone driving a nice car in LA does NOT mean they have money. The guy/gal driving the new Mercedes may have a $500 a month car payment and is living in a shit hole apt. that also cost $500 a month. People live in their cars in LA a lot of people spend cash to drive a nice one. (PS this theory goes for wears nice clothes/carries designer purse/orders the bottle service etc. etc. etc.)

3.) Anyone can put anything on a business card, they are cheap to print and easy to hand out. Keep that in mind.

4.) You will eat out A LOT in LA! "Let's do lunch/brunch/coffee/midnight snack/second breakfast...whatever." Get ready to spend cash on this.

5.) While you do not want to be the pushy jerk actor also don't be afraid to take advantage of opportunities when they arise. I turned down cigars with an A-lister once because I didn't think I was dressed up enough to go, a date with a powerful VP because I didn't want to seem like a gold digger and a lot of parties because I was tired/worn out/didn't think I had the right outfit etc. (I was a lot younger at that time.) It sounds stupid now, but when you are young I think sometimes you think those chances will just come back by. Take them when they are there!!!

7.) Remember why you are there, why you came and what your dream is. It is all too easy to get sucked into "the lifestyle" and completely forget why you came to Los Angeles in the first place. Do one thing every day to center yourself (call home, do yoga, have a cup of tea and read a book) and do one thing every day to advance your career.

8.) Remember that a huge percentage of those people who "just made it" have been in the industry for years and working hard on making it. Do your research very few people just woke up and booked the big role one day, but the out of nowhere success story is a much better sell on a magazine cover than the story of the person who worked hard for ten years in bit parts and waiting tables to get there. (I think the hard work story is more interesting, but Hollywood loves that overnight success thing.) Take a look just on IMDB a lot of A-list celebrities "big break" role was not anywhere near their first. It just sounds better to spin it that way. Wink

And remember it is a marathon not a sprint. Enjoy the journey!
You can also try to find a place with parking, made that mistake when I first moved here.

----
just another actor..
April 17, 2013, 03:10 PM
RLCA
quote:
Originally posted by hollywoodacting:

2. Always go to the bathroom before leaving to get on a freeway. I got stuck on the 10 for 3 hours once.

hahahaha This is soooo true! My husband, from out of state, said he's never had to worry about that before here. He joked about keeping an empty bottle in the car...if only it was that easy for women....
April 18, 2013, 08:42 AM
Blithesome_Muse
RCLA: Krista's Cups
April 21, 2013, 10:39 PM
RLCA
quote:
Originally posted by Blithesome_Muse:
RCLA: Krista's Cups

oh my gosh....hahahahaha
April 22, 2013, 08:34 AM
Brandi Alyssa
OMG!! I could have used that a few years ago, stuck on the NJ turnpike for hours! It was horrible!!

Other than that..Other GREAT pieces of advice, Thanks!

Brandi Alyssa
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4221352/

http://brandialyssayoung.weebly.com
October 20, 2013, 06:52 AM
Fishgurl
I just linked this thread to another forum, so I'm bumping it to make sure it stays available for another year. Smiler
April 09, 2014, 04:10 AM
stumbleine
Bump for Rose Mundy and all the people that will be coming to LA from college in the next couple of months.
April 09, 2014, 03:13 PM
SomeButthole
- It's pretty easy to get a day job. Getting one with flexibility is another thing. Have at least 2-3 years of experience serving prior to coming out if you want a server job.

- There are tons of classes out here, which is awesome. Take them.

- Everyone out here has bigger plans and dreams. It's not like other cities where it's "oh, what do you do?" but more like "Oh, what do you want to do?"

- Traffic is terrible. You'll get to used to it, though. You'll learn that it takes at least 30 minutes to get anywhere.

- Gas station prices vary everywhere for no particular reason. It is not like the Midwest where every station in a city is $3.75/gal. Here, one station will be $3.75/gal, but a block down another will be $4.25. People will still go to the more expensive one for some reason (I can see why you'd skip the really cheap ones like ARCO due to the quality of the gasoline, but there really is no difference between 76, Chevron, and Shell. Boggles me).

- When it rains, everyone drives like it's snow.

- A lot of businesses operate on a 9 to 6 schedule with 1 hour lunch breaks, which seems odd to me but I think it's due to some people having to sit 2 hours in traffic, thus starting work at 8 am would be miserable for some.
April 12, 2014, 07:40 AM
gyokoren
quote:
Be good at changing the subject or exiting conversations you don’t want to be in without laying out a snub. This is a much needed skill in a variety of situations.
I didn't get this one when I first saw it. I was like, "That's just a basic social skill." Not here. It's almost like some people try to make you snub them so they will have something to talk about and it thus becomes a fine art.
April 12, 2014, 02:43 PM
Arawn
1) Even if you saved a lot of money ahead of time, still try to find a day job IMMEDIATELY. Lot of people (myself included) don't factor in how much things like security deposits to an apartment cost, furniture, start up costs etc

2) Get in class. But make sure it's a good one for YOU. And make sure the class, not just the teacher, is one you thrive and can grow in. A bad group of unmotivated students can ruin a class even if the teacher is good.

3) If you've had good prior training and are SAG/AFTRA try finding representation immediately when you get out here. It takes a while. Get a referral if you know anyone, that's the golden ticket.

4)Have a life outside of acting. It can get pretty depressing going out on a bunch of auditions every week and not booking. Don't let you happiness ride on that. Not to mention I think having a full and interesting life outside of acting, actually makes you a better actor.

5) If you have any particular skill you excel at over the general population: make a business out of that. Beats waiting tables or bartending. And you can pick your own hours and won't be drained of energy.
April 12, 2014, 05:15 PM
catnaps
quote:
Originally posted by SomeButthole:

- Gas station prices vary everywhere for no particular reason. It is not like the Midwest where every station in a city is $3.75/gal. Here, one station will be $3.75/gal, but a block down another will be $4.25. People will still go to the more expensive one for some reason (I can see why you'd skip the really cheap ones like ARCO due to the quality of the gasoline, but there really is no difference between 76, Chevron, and Shell. Boggles me).

- When it rains, everyone drives like it's snow.

Get the Gas Buddy app! The map will show current prices at all of the stations near you.

And the second point - holy shit is that ever true. When it's raining, avoid the freeway during rush hour if there is any feasible surface route you can take instead.