home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Things You Wish Someone Had Told You
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things You Wish Someone Had Told You Login/Join

Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
I'm bumping this because there's some great advice I'd been following and would like to reiterate ...
quote:
A good GPS will be your best friend. However, you have to treat it like your baby and take it with you when you park because it will be like car breakin thief bait.
Dammit! In broad daylight? Really???

Posts: 162 | Location: La La Land | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
lots of good advice. One thing: be wary of hot-button political topics. People have lost work(myself among them) for being a bit too vocal about my beliefs on certain topics. You'll figure out which ones quickly enough. I can't emphasize enough how much bullshit people spew about their "meetings" and "projects". Check out anyone who's running their mouth about being hot shit on inbaseline and IMDB..listen, but take what you hear with enormous grains of salt. When you book a job..talk about it AFTER you shoot, not before. sometimes things happen. your one-liner gets cut, etc, and that day of work you were crowing about never goes down..so play cards close to vest. let your agent crow..you, just work. everyone will backstab you for any old reason. jealousy and resentment will get people in a dark place..so choose your friends very wisely. avoid druggies(potheads are usually cool, I'm talking coke/heroin). never take a meeting at someone's house if you don't know them, let people know where you are anytime you meet at a non-public location..lots of very bad people here, unfortunately. be aware..be smart. no one can make you a "star". except you. good luck Smiler

Posts: 72 | Location: NY | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
I wish somebody had told me to start taking workshops earlier. I waited 3 years until I took one, and then at that point I basically walked right into the strike.
Some people may hate them, but for me they have been pretty useful as far as getting on the radar of CD's. Especially the CD's that don't release breakdowns for co-star roles.

Posts: 346 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you are from the east coast, you need to drink a lot more water than you are used to for the sake of your skin .Without the humidity it can be rough however, they have botox..

Real actors with real careers don’t have time to post on message boards 10 times a day.

This is the best post I have seen so far....lol

Posts: 2 | Location: N.J. | Registered: February 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
I miss Miss Stone! I heard she met someone and rode off into the horizon. God Bless her!

Posts: 192 | Location: east coast | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I miss Miss Stone! I heard she met someone and rode off into the horizon. God Bless her!

Thank you so much for posting that - I was just thinking about Miss Stone the other day, wondering why she doesn't post any more. I'm so glad to hear it's for a happy reason!

(Now, where's Morgin Felicia?)

Posts: 476 | Location: New York | Registered: December 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjhly:
quote:

Real actors with real careers don’t have time to post on message boards 10 times a day.

This is the best post I have seen so far....lol

absolutely. I've been away from this board for a while and have just started coming back. Sure, you can avoid some scams from the information here but...you don't really know who your co-posters are or if they are here to promote. Every now and then there will be a gem of advice but this is the bare basics.

Secondly, I would say find a real job that is flexible not a serving in a restaurant job: waste of time, waste of energy, never really enough money to pay for rent, payments, good health, acting tools, classes, AND savings/security. Also, you get stuck B****ing about tips with a very small petty mind that scavenges savings and uses free time inefficiently. And all of your other restaurant friends will be in the same frame of mind. Few people get out of that cycle. The ones who do tend to book early. I thank God I found this lesson out while I'm in college and that I didn't drop out for the "glamour of trying to make it." It definitely has been a sacrifice BUT, I prepared a schedule for myself that allows me to go out on auditions.

Laugh when people try to take you as a fool.

Posts: 139 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Adding on to what totallycool just said: Beware bartending jobs. Everyone thinks it's the "actor" thing to do to get a job in the service industry, but you'd be surprised how easily you get off track working a job like that. You're working nights so you get up late the next day. You get up, go get coffee (waste of money), go to the gym, meet up with your co-workers (who become your entire social circle), bitch about the industry, then head back to the bar to begin the whole cycle again. Everyone is so wary of getting a 9-5 because it'll "interfere with auditions" but, hey, if you're not even getting auditions because you can't afford headshots. might as well get a decent job to support yourself for a while. You can always quit if you have to.
Also, as others have said take EVERY piece of advice with a grain of salt.

Posts: 32 | Location: Sherman Oaks | Registered: August 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Yep i know a bottle service girl with that same delima of fatigue...

Laugh when people try to take you as a fool.

Posts: 139 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimChevallier:
quote:
Originally posted by hollywoodacting:
1. that when someone says I have a meeting with _______________ they are just having coffee with a friend 99.9% of the time. Actors do that all the time. Don't know if it's to discourage or feel better about themselves.

Secret Agent Man did a whole thing on this.
It really is UNBELIEVABLE what **** people talk. People who can barely pay their rent will talk as if they were major players and give YOU attitude if you don't seem to be registering how important they are.
One of our "cafe-producers" was talking on about some million dollar deal a few years back. Then he asked a guy who actually has made some serious money in the industry if he knew a place for dinner that night. The latter suggested something he thought moderate price-wise - whereupon the "producer" blanched.
It was of course way beyond his means.
But you can bet he was back to talking up that million dollar deal first chance he got.

lmao

so true so true.

Posts: 87 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Bumping for the new college graduates that will be flooding into town over the next 3 months.

Best facebook post by one that got here to do a showcase the other morning:
quote:
Ummm, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't LA supposed to be relatively warm? Smiler

Posts: 34 | Location: New York | Registered: January 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody told me that apartments do not necessarily come equipped with refrigerators. Many of the ones that were available when I came to town had every amenity imaginable except a fridge! I had not budgeted for that and was shocked. You have now been warned.

Posts: 1 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
I prepared a schedule for myself that allows me to go out on auditions.

So what would you suggest is a good schedule that allows for this? A flexible boss or not working Thursday afternoons?? (kidding, if only it were that black and white)

"Decide that you want it, more than you are afraid of it." Bill Cosby

Posts: 27 | Location: Washington DC | Registered: April 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
..."moving to LA - prepare everything in life to put on hold except acting!!!!"

Posts: 4 | Location: LA | Registered: February 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
This is a pretty great article related to this:

http://www.backstage.com/bso/c...63d1c7b6799744110524

quote:
On the one hand, you know the odds. You certainly can't move to L.A. counting on having any sort of career. It's competitive, and at times it can seem impossible. It can require a lot of patience -- more than you think. It requires having a good support job, so you don't go broke. Yes, there's more film work in L.A., but there are also more actors, so it's harder to even land an audition, let alone an acting gig. Yes, there are more agents, but it's hard to find one who wants to sign you in L.A. So for some people, it's better to stay where they are and build some credits and experience before testing the waters in a bigger market.

Posts: 18 | Location: NYC | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post