home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Leave BFA program and move to LA/NY?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leave BFA program and move to LA/NY? Login/Join

posted
I have a bit of a dilemma. I am earning my BFA in Musical Theatre. However, I really just want to jump right into working as an actor. I have had a manager in NYC since I was a child actor in NYC. In all honesty, part of me does not want to stay in my conservatory program (or go into massive debt). My parents are unaware, but I really would love to take a chance and move to NY or LA, take acting classes and voice lessons, and get my career going while taking some online courses from a local university. I could secure a job in either the la or ny branch of the current retail store that I work in. I just want someone to weigh in on whether they think this is a good idea or a terrible mistake. I have so many worries, and I really just want to perform and be successful. At the risk of sounding vain, I have been told that I have "star quality" looks. As a 20 year old, I still have the "ingenue" thing going for me. It may be a wise decision, based on my character type, to make the move while I am younger rather than waiting until graduate and save money. I may be in my late twenties by the time I am financially ready to move to a big city because I'll be strapped down with student loans, and I will be out of my prime looks-wise, which (when looking at acting as a biz) is, along with actual talent, one of my strongest "selling points". I would greatly appreciate suggestions and opinions!

Posts: 1 | Location: NYC | Registered: February 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gertrude Wonderbra:
I have been told that I have "star quality" looks.

You and 700,000 other people in this city.

Posts: 1073 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
1) Are you actually in NYC right now? and

2) What does your manager think? This is sorta their job, right?

Posts: 170 | Location: New York City | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Oh, Jesus Christ. Just drop the fuck out. You ask this same question every few months only now you've added in the massive debt part. If you don't want to be there, leave. And it was a dumb idea to go to a BFA where you'll take on a bunch of debt in the first place. It's Tisch, right? Like the most overrated and overpriced drama school in the world? Yes. I said it ...

Posts: 113 | Location: La La Land | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
Unless you already have a resume and can support yourself by this time you need a degree. Doesn't have to be an expensive NYU degree, but you need something. Otherwise learn to say,"Do you want fries with that?"

Like Fishgurl, I get tired of seeing kids ask,"Should I run away to the circus?" Look, if you were good enough you would have done it by now. I feel for you since we went through this last year. Luckly we can afford the expense of college and gave DS his wish to try this acting thing on his own. If he didn't have the experience there would be no discussion. However, he has a foot up on most in his age range and makes more than his mother with residuals from commercials and a few films.

Stay in school unless you want to work retail the rest of your life....

Posts: 515 | Location: Cortlandt Manor, NY | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a 20 year old, I still have the "ingenue" thing going for me. It may be a wise decision, based on my character type, to make the move while I am younger rather than waiting until graduate and save money. I may be in my late twenties by the time I am financially ready to move to a big city because I'll be strapped down with student loans, and I will be out of my prime looks-wise, which (when looking at acting as a biz) is, along with actual talent, one of my strongest "selling points".

You will not be out of your prime looks-wise by your late 20s. Just stay on top of your type! It may change as you get older, but that doesn't mean you will be ~totally uncastable~. You sound a bit like Chicken Little...perhaps it's because you were a child actor, but trust me, you're not going to become hideous by the age of 25.

You may not even age out of the "ingenue" type by then, especially if you take care of your skin and your health. I'm 25 and I'm still playing teenagers; I know a 31-year-old man who's been cast as young suave teenagers before too.

And as for debt...everyone has debt, and a lot of people have massive debt. You'll just send in the check every month like we all do.

Posts: 17 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
I came to La when I was 19-20 without education. I wish I did go to college. Isnt MFA just 2 years?

ActorinLa.com

Posts: 136 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: March 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a bit of a dilemma. I am earning my BFA in Musical Theatre. However, I really just want to jump right into working as an actor. I have had a manager in NYC since I was a child actor in NYC. In all honesty, part of me does not want to stay in my conservatory program (or go into massive debt). My parents are unaware, but I really would love to take a chance and move to NY or LA, take acting classes and voice lessons, and get my career going while taking some online courses from a local university. I could secure a job in either the la or ny branch of the current retail store that I work in. I just want someone to weigh in on whether they think this is a good idea or a terrible mistake. I have so many worries, and I really just want to perform and be successful. At the risk of sounding vain, I have been told that I have "star quality" looks. As a 20 year old, I still have the "ingenue" thing going for me. It may be a wise decision, based on my character type, to make the move while I am younger rather than waiting until graduate and save money. I may be in my late twenties by the time I am financially ready to move to a big city because I'll be strapped down with student loans, and I will be out of my prime looks-wise, which (when looking at acting as a biz) is, along with actual talent, one of my strongest "selling points". I would greatly appreciate suggestions and opinions!
drop out

Posts: 377 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DadinWestchester:
Unless you already have a resume and can support yourself by this time you need a degree.

Stay in school unless you want to work retail the rest of your life....

Wow... you just keep running that broken record, like a degree is some kind of wonder panacea. You never ask about the poster's financial sitch, you never want to know how focused they are on their field of study, you're never concerned about beginning adult life while shouldering a back-breaking debt, you never wonder how responsible they are for themselves... what's up with that?

And that last bit about working retail. Utterly ridiculous. My cousin graduated in May with a 3.5 in Accounting and a nice little record of activities related to his major. That has garnered him a a whopping starting salary of 15K/ year... and it's taken him months to find that. It's just that tough out here. I wonder how he's going to make his student loan payments. Guess he'll be staying with Mom and Dad for a while to come.

My other cousin has been playing bass since high school and makes 300K and travels the world... ZERO college.

Another cousin is a total computer whiz. He took one semester of college and decided he wasn't going to pay anyone to teach him what he already knew. His skills make him major amounts of coin.

Then there's the struggling artist cousin with a Fine Arts degree. He does framing at Michael's and is still chipping away at that student loan debt. I wonder if he can pay enough to work off his capital or does he just cover his interest. So much for your theory about a degree keeping you out of retail.

I finally got a really great break - in acting! Yay! Maybe I'll finally start giving Sallie Mae a piece to pay for my own utterly useless degree.

Just stop with the rhetoric already. Please. Give the grown up's party line a rest. It's GOOD to grow up and be a real adult who earns their own living and has weaned from the parental tit.

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia | Registered: September 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
You will not be out of your prime looks-wise by your late 20s. Just stay on top of your type! It may change as you get older, but that doesn't mean you will be ~totally uncastable~. You sound a bit like Chicken Little...perhaps it's because you were a child actor, but trust me, you're not going to become hideous by the age of 25.

Ha! Did you really just say that? Even SAM admits that early 20s and gorgeous is a ticket to ride the agent train. What acting business are YOU talking about?

Looks fade, and marketability fades with it. Believe that.

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia | Registered: September 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lonni Delane:
quote:

Ha! Did you really just say that? Even SAM admits that early 20s and gorgeous is a ticket to ride the agent train. What acting business are YOU talking about?

Looks fade, and marketability fades with it. Believe that.

Because every successful actor got big in their 20s.

And of course having an agent makes you automatically successful. There's certainly not posts from people here upset that they go on one audition every six months.

Posts: 1073 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Na. Some got big before they even hit puberty.