home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Cheapest Places to do CD Workshops
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheapest Places to do CD Workshops Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anam_G:
JBCN website under construction?

trying to find low rates for scott david.. i see $60.00 at actors key

He's $50 at Actors Company.

And $40 at Acting Bridge with a $10/year membership

Posts: 1960 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, you would figure that he would be extremely inexpensive, or do free workshops at the ActorsLink... because he OWNS it.

I have done MANY workshops over the years and they have been productive for me in the way of co-starring roles. But when a CD decides to open his own workshop place, it does make me pause about just how lucrative workshops are for CDs and now agents.

I also think that workshops are a good way to make CD relationships when you are first starting out and need to add quality co-star credits to your resume, but also believe there is a time when you have to stop doing them in order to not be labeled a "workshop actor."

I have several incidences (me and my friends) where CDs we've met in workshops YEARS ago have known and booked us, and although we have moved up to top-of-show guest starring spots, the CDs will still call us in just for one line co-stars. It's as though they can't see us past the workshop "level."

When one of my friend's agents turned down a one-line co-star audition stating she had just got off her 3rd TOS and he was pushing her for only guests and recurring, this CD told him that he "KNEW she needed the gig because she was a workshop actor!" On the other end though, I know an 40-something actor who is VERY WELL established and books guests all the time, yet still does workshops and is a big advocate for them. I will say this though, he remains loyal to his "starter agency" and I think with his resume and body of work, if he were to go to a more established agency, he would never need to do another workshop again.

What works for some, doesn't for others. I think they are a necessary evil, yes. However, when CD's start opening up their own workshop places, it does give me more of a chill down my spine. Brrrrrr.

Posts: 17 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: September 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I agree. Gross!

Posts: 8 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Acting Bridge and
The Casting Network are the cheapest ones in the Valley.

Almost every workshop is $29 at Acting Bridge, and almost every workshop is under $35 at the Casting Network.

ITA is the cheapest place the westside, (almost all under $35) but they have a $45/year membership fee.

Posts: 8 | Location: Los Angeles, CA  | Registered: June 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1960 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I second The Acting Bridge as the cheapest place to do workshops. Previously a bunch were $29, now most seem to be in the range of $35, with a few still being $29. Scott David's is $45 there. There's a starting $10 membership fee from what I recall.

They do credit package deals where you can get more credit than you pay for (i.e. $240 for $300). There's also a $30 referral bonus in which both you and the person who referred you will get a $30 credit granted the new person enrolls in at least one class. That being said, if anyone reads this post and decides to hit up the Acting Bridge, PM me and use me as a referral! ^^

Posts: 28 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first made this, Actors Artistry which pretty much undercuts everyone else in pricing did not exist.

posted Hide Post
I did not like the Acting Bridge. I went there when they first opened. To me it has a weird vibe, but that might be me. Their workshops are cheap, but sometimes cheap isn't worth it if the CD experience is bad.

Posts: 8 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: April 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
It really pisses me off that there are places this cheap out there when the cheapest here is like $90.

Posts: 1082 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lovefly:
I did not like the Acting Bridge. I went there when they first opened. To me it has a weird vibe, but that might be me. Their workshops are cheap, but sometimes cheap isn't worth it if the CD experience is bad.

CDs are the same regardless of where you go. I like how most of the CDs who come to the Bridge are now starting to do prepared readings rather than cold readings where you're paired with someone who sucks at it.

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
"Actors Artistry" is by far the best I've experienced in Los Angeles. These people are doing it right. $21 dollars for your first workshop (if you bring a canned food item which they donate to charity). $29 for every cd workshop after. No cold reads. It's set up like a real audition with a reader. And they give you time afterwards to chat with the CD and ask questions.

Posts: 6 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dream A Little Dream:
quote:

Well, you would figure that he would be extremely inexpensive, or do free workshops at the ActorsLink... because he OWNS it.

I have done MANY workshops over the years and they have been productive for me in the way of co-starring roles. But when a CD decides to open his own workshop place, it does make me pause about just how lucrative workshops are for CDs and now agents.

I also think that workshops are a good way to make CD relationships when you are first starting out and need to add quality co-star credits to your resume, but also believe there is a time when you have to stop doing them in order to not be labeled a "workshop actor."

I have several incidences (me and my friends) where CDs we've met in workshops YEARS ago have known and booked us, and although we have moved up to top-of-show guest starring spots, the CDs will still call us in just for one line co-stars. It's as though they can't see us past the workshop "level."

When one of my friend's agents turned down a one-line co-star audition stating she had just got off her 3rd TOS and he was pushing her for only guests and recurring, this CD told him that he "KNEW she needed the gig because she was a workshop actor!" On the other end though, I know an 40-something actor who is VERY WELL established and books guests all the time, yet still does workshops and is a big advocate for them. I will say this though, he remains loyal to his "starter agency" and I think with his resume and body of work, if he were to go to a more established agency, he would never need to do another workshop again.

What works for some, doesn't for others. I think they are a necessary evil, yes. However, when CD's start opening up their own workshop places, it does give me more of a chill down my spine. Brrrrrr.

This is the best response I've seen so far on the matter. It's definitely not black or white as some people here are trying to paint it as. Thank you for your awesome input!

Posts: 52 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CD workshops are just another means of advertising your product, which is you. It's not a replacement for classes, it's direct advertising. You should be well-trained before you show up. I wouldn't suggest doing workshops with more than one CD at a time. It's no preparation for real auditions, and group-think can kill you. Also, if you're a newbie, you will get overshadowed by the pros, so be prepared. I like Actors Key in Burbank, but then I live 5 minutes away. But I like their professionalism and format. I would say to never do workshops that throw you in front of other actors. If you think you can forgo workshops without having a name or massive connections, then you are dillusional.

Posts: 1 | Location: LA | Registered: September 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
With CD workshops, it is a numbers game. If you want work out of it, then you have to be standing in front of them when they are casting a part you fit. It's all being in the right place at the right time. In order for it to be beneficial, just make sure you meet with legit, WORKING CDs. So many of them now are just doing them because they are "between jobs", so make certain that who you are seeing is currently casting something.

And in LA, all CDs hit all the workshop places so it makes no difference where you go.

Posts: 308 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syphus:
It really pisses me off that there are places this cheap out there when the cheapest here is like $90.

In Ohio they are $150, for which you get 1-2 min of performing in front of CD, 3 seconds of feedback "Wow! That was great.", one feedback sheet that took about 15 seconds for CD to fill out, about 10 minute of group Q and A. The rest of the time is watching everyone perform and hearing their feedback, which may or may not be helpful.

Is this how they are in NYC/LA? I can't imagine that they call any people from the midwest in. My daughter didn't get called in, and she got the highest feedback and rankings. Not that this is surprising at all, really.

We've done two (the first had a little more CD interaction than described above, and she has answered follow up questions via email), but have tried it and are done now, it was pretty much money and time down the drain.

Posts: 156 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post