home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Cheapest Places to do CD Workshops
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheapest Places to do CD Workshops Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Even having a great agent, building a strong relationship with a CD through workshops better your chances of getting called in everytime that CD casts something.

Posts: 1960 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jackson Pollack:
quote:
Originally posted by donquixote:
I'm sure there's people out there who will defend the system.

How do you get on the radars of CDs?

Be a *great* actor. Focus on your fucking craft. Perform regularly doing plays, films, web series, sketch groups, improv, standup.

Get a *great* agent through other actors and peeps who are super busy performing.

Workshop actors end up knowing other workshop actors, and you end up sharing leads on other workshops... but not much else. Their so-called careers become whittled down through the lens of what CDs they happened to pay for these workshops.

If you are really good and you're getting your name out there by performing, people will come to you. You will surround yourself with other like-minded people.

CD workshops are today's equivalent of the casting couch. I'm sure you can credit some auditions from it, but it's like the casting couch - it's not something you can ever admit or acknowledge without coming across like a desperate whore who believes in sleeping their way up.

I am sure some of you will defend workshops like a whore defends woman's rights, but get some dignity.

There are plenty of actors in this city who would not touch workshops with a ten foot pole, and they are arguably more successful and more importantly, they seem more fulfilled because they are performing regularly working on their fucking craft, and not obsessing over the machinations of the industry.

your such a tool, internet tough guy. Casting couch and workshops are not the same. You sleep with someone because you will get the job in the casting couch scenario. The workshop is essentially a class with the teacher being a CD. I dont do them often but I have been called in from them and booked. I think usually they are a waste of money but if you target the right cds and the cds who cast your type it can be beneficial. If you have a great agent I do agree you wont have to do workshops but the majority of the people on here are relatively green.

Casting couch: you sleep with someone in the hopes of getting an acting job.

Workshops: you pay someone in the hopes of getting an acting job.

You are right, they are not exactly the same. But they both prey on false hope. It's pay-to-play. You pay with your body (or mouth), or pay with your wallet.

Pointless to argue this because those who do it understandably don't like to be criticized for it.

Posts: 90 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why some actors say that without paid auditions they wouldn't have opportunities to meet CDs. I don't understand it because CDs need good actors. Their livelihoods and reputations depend on it. If actors stopped paying for auditions, CDs wouldn't stop needing to find new talent. Wouldn't they go back to their previous practice of seeing more shows and showcases? I've seen CDs and agents say things like, "I don't go to as many shows as I used to because why would I if actors are willing to pay me for workshops?"

Posts: 74 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
@donquixote, while I'm not a fan of "workshops" / paid auditions, I can't get behind your analogy. Everyone pays for things with their wallets, and most advertisers prey on false hopes. A similarity in sentence construction doesn't equal a similarity in reality. In my opinion, saying that workshops are the same as the casting couch weakens your argument.

Posts: 74 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I made a target list of five CDs I wanted to see. Went to a workshop with my first one. Got called in for my first pilot audition from that CD a few weeks later for a small co star role on a major network. I was asked to come back to read for a large guest star role. Booked it. Best $30 I ever spent. Didn't feel like a scam to me.

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mandy913:
I made a target list of five CDs I wanted to see. Went to a workshop with my first one. Got called in for my first pilot audition from that CD a few weeks later for a small co star role on a major network. I was asked to come back to read for a large guest star role. Booked it. Best $30 I ever spent. Didn't feel like a scam to me.

You're missing the problem. The auditions being real doesn't make it ok to charge for them. Would you say that it's ok to charge for job interviews as long as someone who paid the fee was hired for the job? Of course not. Your post solidifies the point that these aren't workshops, they're auditions. It's not ethical to charge for auditions.

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I think you might be missing the point. For actors that do not have strong representation there is very little that can be done to get seen and that is where workshops become very helpful. I did not pay for an audition, I STILL had to audition separately for that part but I never would have gotten that audition if I didn't go to the workshop because that CD would never have known I existed. Yes, we are paying to perform and get feedback on those performances as well as our headshots but we are also paying for the information that is given out about the casting process which is why it is a workshop. As far as your comparison to a job interview,that just doesn't hold water because that would mean that everybody there that paid for the workshop has paid "the fee" and would get hired. Workshops are a way for actors to take a bit of control, learn about what is going on in casting and to show their work to influential people. Why shouldn't CD's get paid for their time?

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mandy913:
For actors that do not have strong representation there is very little that can be done to get seen

I believe that this is a side effect of the paid audition process itself. CDs have an inherent economic incentive to find talent. If workshops didn't exist, they would find other ways to look for talent. This is their cost of doing business and is not something that the talent should pay them for.
quote:
I did not pay for an audition, I STILL had to audition separately for that part but I never would have gotten that audition if I didn't go to the workshop because that CD would never have known I existed

You're saying that you paid for a general, which is my point.
quote:
. Yes, we are paying to perform and get feedback on those performances as well as our headshots but we are also paying for the information that is given out about the casting process which is why it is a workshop.

These were not the reasons you previously gave for the workshop being valuable.
quote:
As far as your comparison to a job interview,that just doesn't hold water because that would mean that everybody there that paid for the workshop has paid "the fee" and would get hired.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Not everyone who interviews for a job is hired.
quote:
Workshops are a way for actors to take a bit of control, learn about what is going on in casting and to show their work to influential people.

Again, these were not the reasons you gave previously about why you felt that your workshop experience was valuable.
quote:
Why shouldn't CD's get paid for their time?

If the value being imparted by the CDs at the workshops is mostly educational (eg, how to audition, how to slate, what not to do), then CDs should get paid for their time. If the value is primarily having the opportunity to be called in to audition for a role, then it's a general, and CDs should not be paid by the actors for that time. I just ask you to be honest about which it is, and I point to your previous post about why the experience was valuable to you.

Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ManagerDad:
Would you say that it's ok to charge for job interviews as long as someone who paid the fee was hired for the job?

My wording wasn't clear. I should have said, "Would you say that it's ok to charge for job interviews as long as they're real job interviews?"

posted Hide Post

Posts: 1960 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that I haven't tried this program yet, but a friend recommended it to me, and it might help with the original question. They compare all the workshops in town in one place as well as keep reviews on the different companies. http://theworkshopguru.com/

Posts: 18 | Location: L.A. | Registered: April 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mkajka:
I have to admit that I haven't tried this program yet, but a friend recommended it to me, and it might help with the original question. They compare all the workshops in town in one place as well as keep reviews on the different companies. http://theworkshopguru.com/

What a racket! We actors pay for enough damn monthly services. How many suckers actually subscribe to this?

posted Hide Post
Gwen Hillier
$35 at JBCN (Cold read)
$38 at Dominion (bring prepared scene)
$29 at Acting Bridge $10 yearly membership

posted Hide Post

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
JBCN website under construction?

trying to find low rates for scott david.. i see $60.00 at actors key

Posts: 50 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post