home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Cheapest Places to do CD Workshops
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheapest Places to do CD Workshops Login/Join

Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TS0104:
quote:

In Ohio they are $150, for which you get 1-2 min of performing in front of CD, 3 seconds of feedback "Wow! That was great.", one feedback sheet that took about 15 seconds for CD to fill out, about 10 minute of group Q and A. The rest of the time is watching everyone perform and hearing their feedback, which may or may not be helpful.

Is this how they are in NYC/LA? I can't imagine that they call any people from the midwest in. My daughter didn't get called in, and she got the highest feedback and rankings. Not that this is surprising at all, really.

We've done two (the first had a little more CD interaction than described above, and she has answered follow up questions via email), but have tried it and are done now, it was pretty much money and time down the drain.

Im not tryin to be mean, but why in the heck would you shell out so much money to see casting directors in Ohio when where to my understanding, ZERO amount of network television is done there, and not many studio funded movies either.

The point of workshops is to establish relationships, and hopefully make your money back via the office that you meet. Typically though, to make that money back, you need to actually live where the work is being shot.

Posts: 369 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I hear you! The first one was to learn, and she (my daughter) did get a bit of good feedback and a confidence booster. After that, I suppose the answer that we tried one more is that you have to start building a relationship somewhere, right? But clearly, we have learned now, this isn't really a first step towards building a relationship and being seen in this format doesn't really count for anything here, even if you are good. It was for my daughter and she will go to LA someday if this is still the path she is choosing. If she got a break, we could head out there now.

Finally, there aren't cheaper options. But it doesn't matter, we're done with them!

Hope our experience is helpful to someone!

Posts: 164 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TS0104:
After that, I suppose the answer that we tried one more is that you have to start building a relationship somewhere, right? But clearly, we have learned now, this isn't really a first step towards building a relationship and being seen in this format doesn't really count for anything here, even if you are good.

Finally, there aren't cheaper options. But it doesn't matter, we're done with them!

I wouldn't feel too bad about it.
1st , many of us including myself have lost $300 or more doing things for the industry that you regretted later. Whether it was for unnecessary headshots, some self help seminar, showcases filled with promises, or a whole bunch of other crap that cost hundreds of dollars.

Also, many people out here in LA get great feedback too at workshops and often nothing becomes of it. Then they get bitter and denounce the whole practice and wanna blow up buildings

But out here, where there are lots of active projects, workshops can be a great tool for unknown actors to build some kind of a relationships with CD's because they can help save CD's the time of searching through thousands of thumbnails.

However I will say they do seem to work best when you have a agent, and at least a few recognizable credits.

Posts: 369 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post