home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Cheapest Places to do CD Workshops
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheapest Places to do CD Workshops Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Actors Key agent nights are only 10 bucks, in addition to the small yearly membership fee.

Posts: 22 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Truthteller and others: what are your thoughts on The Network Studio's "Actors Launch" and "Agent Speed Rating" nights? They are held once a month. The first consists of mingling with then performing in front of a dozen casting people (not necessarily top casting directors, but associates and indie film CD's etc...) and the latter involves meet/greeting and giving headshots to a whole bunch of agent/managers. They are around $250-350....

Posts: 11 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the chaos of the Speed Rating:
http://youtu.be/p63is-hWQ4o

Though the idea of agents getting to know you as a person is cool, this kind of environment is ridiculous. Also, the fact that they bring in crappy agents like Brogan who call in everyone who simply sends an envelope to them makes the $350 even more not worth it.

The Actors Launch seems cool in that you get to chat and then do your scene. But ask yourself, are the majority of the CDs that come even relevant to you?

Posts: 1710 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Well is the Launch worth it to see the possibly 2-3 people who ARE relevant?

Posts: 11 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Radiance:
Well is the Launch worth it to see the possibly 2-3 people who ARE relevant?

2-3 out of 22 cds?

You're paying $350 to see 22.

Posts: 1710 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
is it worth it to get the 'package' at actors' key?

Posts: 46 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
If you plan on spending the money regardless, it's obviously a good deal. 400 for 350 or whatever is free money. But there are a thousand reasons not to buy the package.

Posts: 45 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I can't believe how desperate actors can be.

CD workshops are a SCAM. You are all fools for paying any money for a job interview.

Fools.

Posts: 96 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by donquixote:

CD workshops are a SCAM. You are all fools for paying any money for a job interview.

Fools.

Over time, Ive spent about 5 grand on workshops which has led to 10+ grand in income, not to mention a resume that looks 10 times better than before I started. If that makes me a fool, I can live with that.

Posts: 360 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I think workshops COULD be a scam if youre not targeting the right ones. Ive been called in for a Made for TV movie and called in by THREE managers from workshops. I also had the opportunity to meet casting directors that I never would have had the chance to see in an audition setting because my agents aren't getting me in their room. I love my workshops!

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fools.

You might have not benefitted from CD workshops and thus, have your own opinion about them.

What do you do to get on the radars of CDs?

Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there's people out there who will defend the system.

How do you get on the radars of CDs?

Be a *great* actor. Focus on your fucking craft. Perform regularly doing plays, films, web series, sketch groups, improv, standup.

Get a *great* agent through other actors and peeps who are super busy performing.

Workshop actors end up knowing other workshop actors, and you end up sharing leads on other workshops... but not much else. Their so-called careers become whittled down through the lens of what CDs they happened to pay for these workshops.

If you are really good and you're getting your name out there by performing, people will come to you. You will surround yourself with other like-minded people.

CD workshops are today's equivalent of the casting couch. I'm sure you can credit some auditions from it, but it's like the casting couch - it's not something you can ever admit or acknowledge without coming across like a desperate whore who believes in sleeping their way up.

I am sure some of you will defend workshops like a whore defends woman's rights, but get some dignity.

There are plenty of actors in this city who would not touch workshops with a ten foot pole, and they are arguably more successful and more importantly, they seem more fulfilled because they are performing regularly working on their fucking craft, and not obsessing over the machinations of the industry.

Posts: 96 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Over time, Ive spent about 5 grand on workshops which has led to 10+ grand in income, not to mention a resume that looks 10 times better than before I started. If that makes me a fool, I can live with that.

Jack - Thanks for this comment.

After spending that much do you have any tips as to how to be as efficient as possible doing these workshops? Most bang for the buck.

From a column by SAM: http://www.backstage.com/bso/a...tor-1005316272.story

quote:
5) Do casting workshops.

I need theatrical credits for my résumé, so I would sign up for workshops run by TV casting directors and their staffs. But first I would research who's casting what. I would also find out which casting associates and assistants have the authority to bring in actors for smaller roles. Those people would become my hard targets. If any of them respond to my acting, I would track them as they do workshops around town, so I could sign up and see them again. My goal would be to get called in and book a few co-star roles that might help me attract a theatrical agent's attention. (The casting people who hire me for those roles might even refer me to their agent friends. Why? Because they're going to love the thank-you gifts I send after booking a job!)

Posts: 65 | Location: los angeles | Registered: December 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure there's people out there who will defend the system.

How do you get on the radars of CDs?

Be a *great* actor. Focus on your fucking craft. Perform regularly doing plays, films, web series, sketch groups, improv, standup.

Get a *great* agent through other actors and peeps who are super busy performing.

Workshop actors end up knowing other workshop actors, and you end up sharing leads on other workshops... but not much else. Their so-called careers become whittled down through the lens of what CDs they happened to pay for these workshops.

If you are really good and you're getting your name out there by performing, people will come to you. You will surround yourself with other like-minded people.

CD workshops are today's equivalent of the casting couch. I'm sure you can credit some auditions from it, but it's like the casting couch - it's not something you can ever admit or acknowledge without coming across like a desperate whore who believes in sleeping their way up.

I am sure some of you will defend workshops like a whore defends woman's rights, but get some dignity.

There are plenty of actors in this city who would not touch workshops with a ten foot pole, and they are arguably more successful and more importantly, they seem more fulfilled because they are performing regularly working on their fucking craft, and not obsessing over the machinations of the industry.

your such a tool, internet tough guy. Casting couch and workshops are not the same. You sleep with someone because you will get the job in the casting couch scenario. The workshop is essentially a class with the teacher being a CD. I dont do them often but I have been called in from them and booked. I think usually they are a waste of money but if you target the right cds and the cds who cast your type it can be beneficial. If you have a great agent I do agree you wont have to do workshops but the majority of the people on here are relatively green.

Posts: 10 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post