home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Kissing scene with someone I don't know
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kissing scene with someone I don't know Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of roles that don't require kissing. In fact most roles don't require kissing, even Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and George Clooney have been in multiple films where they didn't have to kiss anybody. Shows like CSI, Criminal Minds, Disney, Nick, etc. have majority roles that don't require kissing. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do.

Posts: 5 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
why worry about catching anything its and onscreen/stage kiss its fake meaning no tongue.I don't agree realness in acting because it comes off fake.Also in most auditions most actions that are in the parenthesis are optional.You dont have to do them.If you get cast that's a different story.

It's all about communicating with your partner once you get the role.Learning to meet somewhere in the middle so both sides are comfortable.If you have a bit of creative freedom you can do something different.It helps to have a firm grounding in integrity sometimes a kiss isn't needed its just throw in for whatever reason

Posts: 77 | Location: Boston | Registered: March 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've found that in situations like this it's helpful to express your fear, embarrasment, etc. to your scene partner and you both need to come up with whatever you need to do to get comfortable.

I had an audition where I had to stroke the face and then kiss the neck of my scene partner, for an audition. I think I felt more akward than her, but I let her know that I felt very weird and guilty doing this to someone other than my wife and we laughed about it, broke the tension and went over it a few times. I actually touched her all over her face and neck and was asking her if that was ok if I touched her like 'this' or 'this', you know, just trying to get over the weirdness. By the time the audition time came I was really enjoying kissing her neck. Don't tell my wife that. hahahah Eeker

Thank you MattyB for sharing your experience. I'm curious how your wife feels about these scenes and the possibility of her catching what you might get from kissing others. The issue for me is not so much my having to kiss another but my husband possibly getting an std bc I kissed someone with one...I guess in the end I wouldn't like it either but that's my question. I've just been cast in a role where ill have to do this and any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

"Decide that you want it, more than you are afraid of it." Bill Cosby

Posts: 7 | Location: Washington DC | Registered: April 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
@ jon k im curious you speak of doing kissing as if its something that would earn and actor great accolades and awards.Haven't you ever kissed a girl(s) before ? you act as if its the latest sensation since iphones .Talent is what gets you far not sucking face with someone else .How far along are you in your career based on the fun of doing kissing scenes ?

Posts: 77 | Location: Boston | Registered: March 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
This is actually my worst fear - and what was pointed out to me recently is that, you don't have to have an open sore or a sore appearing in order to transfer the herpes virus to someone else. And some people honestly don't know they have it, as they exhibit zero symptoms and simply infect others unknowingly. I don't know what's more scarier, to be honest. Some would say a kiss is just a kiss but we have to be realistic about the fact that herpes is real and it's just as easy for you to get it as it is for me. Can you live with it if you got it from a simple "innocent" kiss scene -- and for the rest of your life? Hm...how many who responded to this post actually have it to speak with some authority and that it's no biggie to get it? Since when are we sooooo afraid to ask someone's health status, even if it's "just a kiss". The germs out there are not as simple anymore, and to just close your eyes and go for it for the sake of acting is a fool's act. Ask questions before the scene happens, and if you are hired, see if your concerns can be addressed satisfactorily. If you find you are being made to feel uncomfortable or unreasonable to be asking such an important question about your health for a job, then you got your answer as to whether the job and the people attached are worth the health risk. If it's an audition that requires a kiss, there are some techniques to do so that look realistic, but...lips and skin still do touch. It's a tricky situation. For an audition, I agree with the rest, most likely no kiss.

Posts: 359 | Location: New York | Registered: October 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ressydm:
This is actually my worst fear - and what was pointed out to me recently is that, you don't have to have an open sore or a sore appearing in order to transfer the herpes virus to someone else. And some people honestly don't know they have it, as they exhibit zero symptoms and simply infect others unknowingly. I don't know what's more scarier, to be honest. Some would say a kiss is just a kiss but we have to be realistic about the fact that herpes is real and it's just as easy for you to get it as it is for me. Can you live with it if you got it from a simple "innocent" kiss scene -- and for the rest of your life? Hm...how many who responded to this post actually have it to speak with some authority and that it's no biggie to get it? Since when are we sooooo afraid to ask someone's health status, even if it's "just a kiss". The germs out there are not as simple anymore, and to just close your eyes and go for it for the sake of acting is a fool's act. Ask questions before the scene happens, and if you are hired, see if your concerns can be addressed satisfactorily. If you find you are being made to feel uncomfortable or unreasonable to be asking such an important question about your health for a job, then you got your answer as to whether the job and the people attached are worth the health risk. If it's an audition that requires a kiss, there are some techniques to do so that look realistic, but...lips and skin still do touch. It's a tricky situation. For an audition, I agree with the rest, most likely no kiss.

#1) Learn the art of a paragraph

#2) You went on a rant about actors having herpes. Do u carry on like that in your normal dating life?

If you make that big of a deal over kissing somebody on date #1, I doubt that you have a date # 2. Its a kiss, not butt naked raw sex. Geez.

Posts: 372 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Jack -- Rant? Where do I state "actors have herpes?" I would appreciate your opinion and take in your information a lot quicker if you weren't so concerned about things that really don't concern you. We are not in English class, but I appreciate your wanting to take time out of your busy day to talk about "paragraphs". I assume you don't find the issue being brought up here as something very relevant to our profession. This is indeed a "worst fear of mine" and the fact I was willing to admit that clearly touched a raw nerve in you. Pity we couldn't have a more intelligent discussion on it. Oh, and this is ALSO not a dating site. It's clear you are confused and have not an idea about the transmission of this serious disease. Just because you don't "die" from it, doesn't mean that it's not serious. You CAN contract the virus from a person with no visible outbreak, a simple Google search will enlighten you. I don't come to Backstage to date, I come here to get advice and to share whatever information I may have that is useful to the community. Perhaps you should keep it to that point too.

Posts: 359 | Location: New York | Registered: October 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Well put ressy i was reading his post and the fact that he took the time critique your writings skills.Had me scratching my head wtf does that have to do with anything.Reminds me of being in the middle of a convo and someone comes out with some random shit.It has nothing to do with what you were saying what so ever ;how rude.

Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jack -- Rant? Where do I state "actors have herpes?" I would appreciate your opinion and take in your information a lot quicker if you weren't so concerned about things that really don't concern you. We are not in English class, but I appreciate your wanting to take time out of your busy day to talk about "paragraphs". I assume you don't find the issue being brought up here as something very relevant to our profession. This is indeed a "worst fear of mine" and the fact I was willing to admit that clearly touched a raw nerve in you. Pity we couldn't have a more intelligent discussion on it. Oh, and this is ALSO not a dating site. It's clear you are confused and have not an idea about the transmission of this serious disease. Just because you don't "die" from it, doesn't mean that it's not serious. You CAN contract the virus from a person with no visible outbreak, a simple Google search will enlighten you. I don't come to Backstage to date, I come here to get advice and to share whatever information I may have that is useful to the community. Perhaps you should keep it to that point too.

@ressydm, I went into the dating thing just to make an analogy of sorts. I know this is not a dating site, but if you are gonna pollute the boards with foolishness, at least make things easier to read. If you don't,you might get your feelings hurt
You didn't touch a raw nerve in me bringing it up. I just thought it was stupid. Another actor w/o a pot to piss in with a list of things they wont do. Its not like you're being asked to jump from a burning building.

@Jline, you're in Boston talking acting matters, aka, you're irrelevant Nuff said

Posts: 372 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Jack, we don't know each other, but if you are writing me under this "guise" because you think you do, then I'm not interested in playing games. I stand by what I wrote, and, last I checked, analogy or no, you aren't hired as Backstage Staff to be the writing police. So please...don't let the door hit you on the way out. Oh, and two words for you: Asymptomatic Transmission. Look it up. Clearly you are not up to date on infectious disease transmission, nor are you providing anything helpful that is relevant to the original post. Go take your foolishness and play elsewhere, blissful in your ignorance. Silly goose.

Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
Fun facts for this thread:

1.) Oral Herpes (Herpes Simplex Type 1) is a different form than genital herpes (type 2).
2.) Around ~60% of the population of the US has some form of the virus in their system. (Within New York City there is a good chance that the rate is higher than the national average too)
So chances are high you're already a carrier.
3.) You probably already have the Varicella virus in your system, which is also in the herpes family
4.) By the time people are 80, ther is a 90% chance they have Cytomegalovirus, so there's a good chance you're going to get that at some point in your life, and it is yet another virus in the herpes family
5.) I would be much more worried about the Epstein-Barr Virus, which 90%-95% of adults have. This is yet another herpes virus and has recently been linked to a number of more aggressive cancers. You may have heard of the kissing disease before.

In fact, there's even a Kaposi's Sarcoma related form of the Human Herpses Virsus (HHP)...but if you got that one you, well you got other issues.

So what I'm saying here is be afraid, be VERY Afraid.

Posts: 1055 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Jack you come off as very angry and bitter. SMH

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:

@ressydm, I went into the dating thing just to make an analogy of sorts. I know this is not a dating site, but if you are gonna pollute the boards with foolishness, at least make things easier to read. If you don't,you might get your feelings hurt
You didn't touch a raw nerve in me bringing it up. I just thought it was stupid. Another actor w/o a pot to piss in with a list of things they wont do. Its not like you're being asked to jump from a burning building.

@Jline, you're in Boston talking acting matters, aka, you're irrelevant Nuff said

Posts: 75 | Location: city of angels | Registered: May 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by money2blow:
Jack you come off as very angry and bitter. SMH

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:

I'm bitter? If you've followed my post, Im one of the few on here that's not always on bitchin about my reps, what the industry owes me or tries to make me do. Try to follow along. Wink