home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Meisner Technique
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meisner Technique Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Toonaive - I'll have to apologize. For some reason I mixed up one of Rose's posts and thought you had written it.

Posts: 105 | Location: New York | Registered: August 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:

John, thanks for sharing! I'm really curious to hear your thoughts on Meisner vs Adler, and just how did you find Adler's approach in general. How did you come to know that Adler is what you need? Also, which Adler school did you pick eventually? Give it up man, or will you really make me create another thread for that?

To truly get my opinion of the differences between Adler vs. Meisner...you are going to have to wait 2 or 3 years, because that is when I will be done with Meisner. Right now I haven't taken ANY of it...just hearsay, reading books, reading this web board, etc.

Basically, I had been acting off and on for about 10 years before I took ANY class. I was able to make quite a bit of progress using my own methods and approach. I did go to college and get a degree in film however...which I guess is kind of like the ultimate on-camera class!

Anyway, throughout my career before taking classes what I found I was good at through notes from directors, other actors, etc. was I was always very present in the scene. I seemed to not need much help in that. That is something that should be key to all acting approaches, but seems especially true of Meisner.

Through trial and error in my career, as well as research, interviews with actors, etc. I started to look into Adler. What was missing in my work seemed to be "range" (Much like Ruby I noticed a lack of range in at least beginning Meisner actors) and overall weight.

Also a very big weakness of mine is memorizing lines. I think any method deals with this, and practice deals with it most of all. But Adler (at least how I approached it) dealt with the text right away. I was memorizing different scenes to work with in class every week.

I began taking classes with Robert Lyons a year or so ago. I intially audited him because he was the most affordable in town and seemed a good guy to go to for a few months while I got on my feet with money, but I turned out to really like him and stay with him for about half a year. For quite awhile, I felt my acting getting better with every class, as well as building off the previous class. I also noticed my classmates getting better every class as well...which is a very good sign.

The last few classes I took seemed to table off, as will happen. Bobby is great...I do reccommend him...but eventually you move on. The notes toward the end all seemed to lead to wanting to see "the real me". I am enrolling in another Adler class soon to give another go at it (I am not quite ready for the 2 year commitment of Traditional Meisner yet). I almost always got to what he called "the real me" by the second or third go with the material, but so far never on the first go. I am paraphrasing a bit so what sounds vague here made much more sense in class...but it really seemed like an issue Meisner would get to much quicker. I am leaning towards Bill Alderson, but I have awhile to research others.

And like I said...after that two years? Who knows? I would like to keep at least one Adler class in my rotation after that point, probably Bobby L. because he is very affordable and he does resonate with me, but will alternate with other scene studies (both Meisner and Adler or some combination thereof) as well as continue my improv training, and pepper it all with some specific things such as commercial training, comedy and audition classes. I plan to take the model of rotating classes every three months, with having a teachers that really resonate mixed with some new ones. I always planned to do this plan of attack after I felt I had let Adler sink in and give an honest go at a two year traditional meisner school.

But above all I want to work. What I laid out there was almost a "worst case scenerio". Classes forever sort of leads nowhere. But, you should always be training. So basically...I laid out a plan that would happen if I never worked. I would love to work as much as possible, and my blueprint is what to fall back on when work is slow.

Posts: 198 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meisner and Adler are VERY compatible with each other, so much that Marjorie Ballentine teaches a class called "MADLER"

And as far as learning lines goes, I think Adler is the best at teaching that because you jump right into using your imagination and script analysis-two very important tools to understanding the script and bringing depth to it.

Yes, Meisner does cover script analysis and imagination, but a little later in the training. Normally, when you do the first round of scenes, you're told to learn your lines by rote, re-type the script without punctuation, etc. and use the other person to tell you how to say your lines.

Very much how Christopher Walken says he works:
http://youtu.be/J93BFTVZPcI?t=5m55s

I hated rote memorization and secretly used Adler to learn my lines during the early rounds of scenes in my Meisner training. I stepped up and volunteered to do two very different and very monologuey scenes when someone dropped out during the first round of scenes. The teacher was amazed that i was able to learn both scripts word for word so quickly. No thanks to rote memorization!

Posts: 1349 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
This is only tangentially related to the thread. But I have to thank Truth for mentioning Viola Spolin a little while back. I've been reading her stuff and really fell in love with it.

I thought about it because I feel she also compliments Meisner very well. I was also curious to see if they ever interacted, but couldn't find out anything.

Posts: 741 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by makemefamous:
How's Franco working out for anyone reading this?

He's not haha. He has 9 classes and they all take place right in the middle of the fcking business day. I like my survival job too much to quit it and then have to find another one just so I can take a new class with a big name attached to it with zero reviews out there.

Posts: 92 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Word on the street is that Bill Alderson isn't taking any new students after this summer and is retiring. Maybe amo37 can comment?

Posts: 92 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SomeButthole:
Word on the street is that Bill Alderson isn't taking any new students after this summer and is retiring. Maybe amo37 can comment?

Damn. I wanted to take ongoing classes with him.

Posts: 1349 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SomeButthole:

No no no.

Which street did this word come from? I can't understand how that would be the case if Amo is currently working on his book. I thought the point of the book was to attract more students?

Can this be confirmed or denied, please? Amo?

Posts: 120 | Location: LA | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
Untrue. Mr. Alderson has 16 students in his intensive class right now as well as his normal classes.

I don't ever see him retiring, unless his health fails. Which it won't. He's had 2 heart operations in the last 10 years and is still teaching 5 nights a week plus coaching during the day.

Word on the street is untrue. I'm closer to the man than most. Just spoke to him today about his book we are working on.

Posts: 518 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 120 | Location: LA | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amo37:
Untrue. Mr. Alderson has 16 students in his intensive class right now as well as his normal classes.

I don't ever see him retiring, unless his health fails. Which it won't. He's had 2 heart operations in the last 10 years and is still teaching 5 nights a week plus coaching during the day.

Word on the street is untrue. I'm closer to the man than most. Just spoke to him today about his book we are working on.

Thanks, Amo. I had a mild heart attack reading this as I just started studying with Mr. Alderson and really hope to continue long-term.

Posts: 40 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
Bill is the toughest person I've ever known. Two heart attacks and he still keeps a very, very full schedule. It's because he believes in what he's doing. He loves teaching so much. But as you've probably discovered, he expects his students to work very hard in class, but especially outside of class. He pulls no punches.

Once in my second year, I read a new scene. I thought it was ok. He pulled me in his office after class and said, "If you're doing out there (meaning in auditions) what you did in class, it's not good."

Best day of my acting life. I had done good work for him before, but was riding on my laurels with the new scene and had not done the work this time. I knew what to do but had not done it. I left his office in tears. He was right. But from then on, I took no shortcuts and promised him I would never again do bad work. I never did bad work in his class again.

The work ethic he teaches his students is invaluable and necessary in the real world. I appreciate and relish every tongue lashing and ass kicking he gave me over the years. And I have come to earn his respect through my hard work. I love him lots. And I use what he taught me for every single audition and performance. I know myself extensively, know how to dig deep and know how to break down a script, using Mesiner's Golden Box. He taught me how to make everything personal. And therefore, truthful.

Our uniqueness is a gift and makes us watchable.

I hope you're enjoying his class and learning alot. I know I did and still do.

Posts: 518 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Fact..Mr. Meisner himself (while commuting from New York and Los Angeles) when he was in Los Angeles-He taught at Playhouse West for the last 10 years of his teaching career.

Posts: 6 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jruda:
Fact..Mr. Meisner himself (while commuting from New York and Los Angeles) when he was in Los Angeles-He taught at Playhouse West for the last 10 years of his teaching career.

Unfortunately, PW is not what it was 20 plus years ago. Now they have way too many teachers underneath Bob Carnegie and Jeff Goldblum.

PW is good if you want a taste of Meisner training if you have to wait for September for an opening in a traditional 2 year program or after you're done with a traditional 2 year and want VERY affordable ongoing training.

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Jeff Goldblum, does he teach? I like him as an actor, I wonder if anybody has anything on him as a Meisner-based teacher.