home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Meisner Technique
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meisner Technique Login/Join

Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
This is only tangentially related to the thread. But I have to thank Truth for mentioning Viola Spolin a little while back. I've been reading her stuff and really fell in love with it.

I thought about it because I feel she also compliments Meisner very well. I was also curious to see if they ever interacted, but couldn't find out anything.

Posts: 81 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SomeButthole:
Word on the street is that Bill Alderson isn't taking any new students after this summer and is retiring. Maybe amo37 can comment?

Damn. I wanted to take ongoing classes with him.

Posts: 439 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SomeButthole:
Word on the street is that Bill Alderson isn't taking any new students after this summer and is retiring. Maybe amo37 can comment?

No no no.

Which street did this word come from? I can't understand how that would be the case if Amo is currently working on his book. I thought the point of the book was to attract more students?

Can this be confirmed or denied, please? Amo?

Posts: 42 | Location: LA | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Anthony Hopkins
posted Hide Post
Untrue. Mr. Alderson has 16 students in his intensive class right now as well as his normal classes.

I don't ever see him retiring, unless his health fails. Which it won't. He's had 2 heart operations in the last 10 years and is still teaching 5 nights a week plus coaching during the day.

Word on the street is untrue. I'm closer to the man than most. Just spoke to him today about his book we are working on.

Posts: 344 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 42 | Location: LA | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amo37:
Untrue. Mr. Alderson has 16 students in his intensive class right now as well as his normal classes.

I don't ever see him retiring, unless his health fails. Which it won't. He's had 2 heart operations in the last 10 years and is still teaching 5 nights a week plus coaching during the day.

Word on the street is untrue. I'm closer to the man than most. Just spoke to him today about his book we are working on.

Thanks, Amo. I had a mild heart attack reading this as I just started studying with Mr. Alderson and really hope to continue long-term.

Posts: 9 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Anthony Hopkins
posted Hide Post
Bill is the toughest person I've ever known. Two heart attacks and he still keeps a very, very full schedule. It's because he believes in what he's doing. He loves teaching so much. But as you've probably discovered, he expects his students to work very hard in class, but especially outside of class. He pulls no punches.

Once in my second year, I read a new scene. I thought it was ok. He pulled me in his office after class and said, "If you're doing out there (meaning in auditions) what you did in class, it's not good."

Best day of my acting life. I had done good work for him before, but was riding on my laurels with the new scene and had not done the work this time. I knew what to do but had not done it. I left his office in tears. He was right. But from then on, I took no shortcuts and promised him I would never again do bad work. I never did bad work in his class again.

The work ethic he teaches his students is invaluable and necessary in the real world. I appreciate and relish every tongue lashing and ass kicking he gave me over the years. And I have come to earn his respect through my hard work. I love him lots. And I use what he taught me for every single audition and performance. I know myself extensively, know how to dig deep and know how to break down a script, using Mesiner's Golden Box. He taught me how to make everything personal. And therefore, truthful.

Our uniqueness is a gift and makes us watchable.

I hope you're enjoying his class and learning alot. I know I did and still do.

Posts: 344 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Fact..Mr. Meisner himself (while commuting from New York and Los Angeles) when he was in Los Angeles-He taught at Playhouse West for the last 10 years of his teaching career.

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jruda:
Fact..Mr. Meisner himself (while commuting from New York and Los Angeles) when he was in Los Angeles-He taught at Playhouse West for the last 10 years of his teaching career.

Unfortunately, PW is not what it was 20 plus years ago. Now they have way too many teachers underneath Bob Carnegie and Jeff Goldblum.

PW is good if you want a taste of Meisner training if you have to wait for September for an opening in a traditional 2 year program or after you're done with a traditional 2 year and want VERY affordable ongoing training.

Posts: 439 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Jeff Goldblum, does he teach? I like him as an actor, I wonder if anybody has anything on him as a Meisner-based teacher.

Anthony Hopkins
posted Hide Post
According to Alderson, Goldblum studied in NYC with Sandy, Alderson and Esper and then a year with Alderson in LA. He never finished the full 2 years. So he is not schooled in the full technique.

Nice guy, but not a Meisner teacher.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toonaive:
Speaking of Jeff Goldblum, does he teach? I like him as an actor, I wonder if anybody has anything on him as a Meisner-based teacher.
he does. There a Jeff Goldblum master class level at PW West. A friend was in it. The last time I spoke to him about it, he complained that Jeff was hardly available to teach and thus, it was mostly taught by an underling.

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill is the toughest person I've ever known. Two heart attacks and he still keeps a very, very full schedule. It's because he believes in what he's doing. He loves teaching so much. But as you've probably discovered, he expects his students to work very hard in class, but especially outside of class. He pulls no punches.

Once in my second year, I read a new scene. I thought it was ok. He pulled me in his office after class and said, "If you're doing out there (meaning in auditions) what you did in class, it's not good."

Best day of my acting life. I had done good work for him before, but was riding on my laurels with the new scene and had not done the work this time. I knew what to do but had not done it. I left his office in tears. He was right. But from then on, I took no shortcuts and promised him I would never again do bad work. I never did bad work in his class again.

The work ethic he teaches his students is invaluable and necessary in the real world. I appreciate and relish every tongue lashing and ass kicking he gave me over the years. And I have come to earn his respect through my hard work. I love him lots. And I use what he taught me for every single audition and performance. I know myself extensively, know how to dig deep and know how to break down a script, using Mesiner's Golden Box. He taught me how to make everything personal. And therefore, truthful.

Our uniqueness is a gift and makes us watchable.

I hope you're enjoying his class and learning alot. I know I did and still do.

I love tough teachers - when they're both tough and they're RIGHT. I have already a couple times gotten feedback that made me go huh? and then after rolling it around in my head for a while went oh yeah - he's right! I know what I should have done differently!

Posts: 9 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately, the only person in LA who was trained by Meisner, hand-picked by Meisner as a student to teach at The Playhouse (Alderson Taught at The Playhouse for 22 years) and who taught ALONGSIDE Meisner is William Alderson and also Bill Esper in NYC.

Everyone else (I don't know anything about Mr. Barter) is not as qualified as far as I am concerned.

Exactly!

Posts: 10 | Location: Redondo Beach | Registered: November 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
"PW is not what it was 20 plus years ago. Now they have way too many teachers underneath Bob Carnegie and Jeff Goldblum." How did you come to such a conclusion? Have you studied at PW? Did you go through the entire program? Beginner? Intermediate? Advanced? Unless you have personally completed the program, then how could you possibly form such an opinion? Or did a friend of yours attend PW for a few months? OR a few weeks?

quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by jruda:

Unfortunately, PW is not what it was 20 plus years ago. Now they have way too many teachers underneath Bob Carnegie and Jeff Goldblum.

PW is good if you want a taste of Meisner training if you have to wait for September for an opening in a traditional 2 year program or after you're done with a traditional 2 year and want VERY affordable ongoing training.

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post