home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Commission for Commercial background work?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Commission for Commercial background work? Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted
Do you have to pay commission to your agent/manager for commercial background work? I was under the impression that background work was separate, but I'm not sure as the role is listed as a "featured extra."

Thanks!

Posts: 24 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO! Any agent who demands commission from that is GREEDY!

Posts: 1692 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Agreed, the pay isn't that great so to take a commission from it is pretty low

Posts: 45 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
While I agree with Truth and Thespian it all depends on your agent & manager agreement.

My manager says anything less than $300 is mine. But at the end of the day it's extra work. Your not credited and I wouldn't pay a commission on it unless your manager/agent got it for you.

I once heard a manager tell people that she get's 15% no matter what. Extra work or whatever. I don't agree with that at all. But again look on your agreement.

Posts: 160 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: October 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanlixia:
Do you have to pay commission to your agent/manager for commercial background work? I was under the impression that background work was separate, but I'm not sure as the role is listed as a "featured extra."

Thanks!

I take it this was a non-union commercial? Because there is no such thing as being a 'featured extra' in a union commercial.

"Featured" means you are recognizable. And when you are recognizable in a commercial you are seen as endorsing that product, thus creating a conflict with other commercials. That means you are a principal actor in the commercial. When an extra in a union commercial gets on camera to the point that they are featured then they must be upgraded to include the principal day rate and all residual payments. Unlike theatrical projects speaking lines is not required to be a principal in a commercial.

If it was a union commercial and you were actually featured and not paid as such then contact the union. If it's a non-union commercial they should upgrade you as well but you would probably be out of luck as the producers do not have to follow union guidelines.

Posts: 233 | Location: Beverly Hills | Registered: September 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
God every time you type I just imagine the smug look you must have on your face.

Posts: 959 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Your imagination overloads your ass.

Posts: 233 | Location: Beverly Hills | Registered: September 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post