home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Under 5 on resume
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Under 5 on resume Login/Join

posted
Happy Sunday everyone,

How do you list an under 5 from a soap on a resume? "Co-Star", "Featured" or "U-5"?

Thanks!

Posts: 5 | Location: LA | Registered: August 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NEVER use "featured"!

Co-star is fine

Posts: 1710 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Julia Roberts
posted Hide Post
Co-star

In Hollywood talk, "featured," means extra

Posts: 708 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I did not know that. I was featured in one episode of a prime time series on one of the major networks. I got paid as non-union. I haven't done extra work since because I can get lead and supporting for productions. If a friend asks me to help out for a scene, then I don't mind being an extra. Sometimes acting is just for fun.

About that feature job. Due to the recession, there were a lot of non-actors. Shot on location, we weren't in LA. The scene was a costume party. It was one of my top ten experiences for being in a costume scenario, right up there with a Rolling Stones Halloween concert and what used to be Halloween in the Castro. Some of the locals were extras too, and they were friendly.

Some of us worked into the night during a train shoot. The train had diesel generators inside the passenger cars in order to juice the lights inside for the shoot. The camera was outside. The passenger car filled with exhaust fumes. The dude in charge ignored the concerns of the non-union features. He spent his free time trying to convince the women to work for his friend as bathing suite models. He was a sleaze-bag in a position of power over the extras. Can't piss him off.

As non-union, I was afraid to seriously complain. To anyone. Extras are given an emergency number to call. But who wants to be known for problems? We were stuck on a train in the middle of who knows where. It was like acting in a car with a hose going from the muffler to inside the car. Mad Red Face Frowner

Posts: 45 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I'm looking to get more commercial work and I've done big commercials.....as an extra. So, do I leave these off the resume, anyway I can loophole these onto the resume? I got a my first SAG commercial tomorrow and I want to have some stuff on there to impress, any tips?

Posts: 106 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EGarcia05:
I'm looking to get more commercial work and I've done big commercials.....as an extra. So, do I leave these off the resume, anyway I can loophole these onto the resume? I got a my first SAG commercial tomorrow and I want to have some stuff on there to impress, any tips?

Here's your tip: A blank resume looks better than putting background work on the resume.

Secondly, commercials are about 90% look, so don't really worry about the resume.

Posts: 976 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I hope I have that "look".

Posts: 106 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EGarcia05:

You don't ever put commercials on your resume to begin with, extra or not. "List available upon request" is all that should be under your commercial section, on your hardcopy as well as casting site resumes.

Posts: 70 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syphus:
Here's your tip: A blank resume looks better than putting background work on the resume.

Secondly, commercials are about 90% look, so don't really worry about the resume.

As a CD who casts commercials, I'd say that more and more commercial directors work on film & theater, as well. So resume is pretty important these days. But Syphus is correct, your commercial credits are not necessary on your resume, be it principal or extra work.

Posts: 9 | Location: New York | Registered: June 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
Cameo. I had a part with 1 word.

Posts: 268 | Location: seattle | Registered: August 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skeeterkitty2004:
Cameo. I had a part with 1 word.

In a tv show, saying one word would still put you under the Co-Star contract.

Cameo credits are more for celebs who make an uncredited appearance and might not even say anything

Posts: 1710 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
U5 is really only used for Soap Operas Smiler

Callie Harlan
Adorable feistiness mixed with a defiant dark-side

http://www.youtube.com/user/CallieNYC
www.CallieHarlan.com

Posts: 23 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: January 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post