home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Which CD's Actually call in workshop attendees?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which CD's Actually call in workshop attendees? Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
No, not even for basic extra work. I've submitted a lot. I even know someone who had lines on one of the soaps who mentioned me to one of the CDs a few times and they remembered me...but nothing yet. I think B and B probably not gonna get called in for speaking parts, but the other 2, a slight chance. I did hear one might call me in when the scene/character is right for me. But then again, I just keep sending postcards. GH and Y and R were really good workshops and they liked me, B and B it was just a mess with the online script...I recently just started a cold reading/booking class, and most of the stuff in the script you don't need to even show it unless it's mentioned in the dialogue. Christy wants to see that though...think of her audition as a theatre class where you must show everything.

Posts: 15 | Location: Los Angeles  | Registered: February 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trinks:
When would someone be ready for workshops?

I think feeling 100% prepared is rare. Just do it!

Posts: 7 | Location: Los Angeles/ New York | Registered: December 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Ive tried getting in the spirit of workshops but I honestly feel like it turns casting directors into spoiled liars. They say that they cast costars directly out of workshops but that is a lie. Think about all the workshops they do within a week! Theres no way they are going to put in the effort to go throw stacks of headshots to find that actor for this specific part. Success comes down to timing. I cant say I see many casting directors as "friends to actors" they are more like hurdles. These workshop truly should be illegal so that agents can do their jobs and actually pitch new and up in coming clients. So many agents have let themselves be reduced to order takers and now actors are expected to pick up the slack ontop of the cost of acting classes, headshots,real networking, etc.Ive only taken a few. Christy ciroalo from Bones (or however you spell her name) claims to book right out of workshops which I told you how I feel about that.I did appreciate her honesty that she chucks all those postcards in the trash so dont even bother. I took scott david a while ago and though hes fun and easy to work with, dont think for a second that hes not in this for the money 110%. Hes the king of workshop casting directors. He even has some app that he pressganged two actors into making for him for free. This guy loves what he does and he loves making money off of actors.My advice is only go to workshops if you have major credits on your resume. And yes ditch casting assistant workshops and if a company advertises a head casting director and you get an assistant raise hell until you get your money back. Yes assistants in this industry are crucial but they are in their own rat race half the time and wont pitch people. They do it for the money.

Laugh when people try to take you as a fool.

Posts: 138 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I'd like to attend workshops/network meetings where not just 'anybody' with money can join, but actually talented people and with CD's that knows this and actually goes to find new talent. Are there any companies that audition their attendees?

Posts: 70 | Location: New York | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
@totallycool Well said!!!

Posts: 139 | Location: los angeles | Registered: December 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Yep, what totallycool said. I tried the workshop thing, too, and you can see right through it.

There's no way a CD will go through "workshop files" to find a co-star, all they have to do is snap a finger and the agents will scramble to find an actor that fits.

Posts: 115 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Degprinsessan:
I'd like to attend workshops/network meetings where not just 'anybody' with money can join, but actually talented people and with CD's that knows this and actually goes to find new talent. Are there any companies that audition their attendees?
An actor I know auditioned for a bigger casting workshop place and I don't think he has ever been called in and still pours a lot of money into it.

----
just another actor..

Posts: 370 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's no way a CD will go through "workshop files" to find a co-star, all they have to do is snap a finger and the agents will scramble to find an actor that fits.

Exactly.

Posts: 139 | Location: los angeles | Registered: December 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I've only done a handful of workshops. Christy did call me in for the B&B a few days after the workshop which was nice.
I've done Scott Davids as well. He says he keeps a folder of workshop actors he sees that week and pulls from there for his co-stars.
Jaime Harlan does the same thing. She said it's just faster for her to pull from her folder for co-star roles because they are fresh in her mind and she doesn't have to deal with agent and manager pitches.
I really don't like doing workshops but I understand how they can be helpful.

Posts: 19 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
See if she looks through files inorder to escape agents then that must mean that her relationships with representatives will suffer. I doubt shes turning down phone calls from gersh. If casting directors were that lazy and extreme in a few years this industry would be anybody's game. Well anybody who can pay thousands for the promise of employment. Which worshops evade this by saying they are schools. I'd feel really sorry for anyone who actually went infront of a casting director to learn how to do anything! Career Suicide. The best you can hope for is to learn more about that specific office but I'd rather just read an interview at that rate. Some knowledge for the sake of knowledge is cheap. Workshops are terrible investments 9/10 because 9/10 it results in nothing. Instead 9/10 times you have actors piling on tremendous amounts of debt in n hopes to get discovered and deluding themselves into believing that once these casting directors leave that they are actually accessable! They have these abstract accomplishments like being happy someone remembered their face. A long memory means nothing if the result doesn't include a job opportunity. I wish actors would wake up come together and shut these workshops down!I know theres a lawfirm looking to seek their prosecutor fangs into something juicy.

Laugh when people try to take you as a fool.

Posts: 138 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MTA:
She wants the scene set, she wants use of objects or to make known an object is there if it's in the script in BOLD print.

What does this mean? Does it mean you are supposed to use props? Or let her know ahead of the time what objects you are using to substitute for other objects in the scene if you don't have them?

When I hear "setting the scene" I think about arranging the couch, bringing up a purse or food or other objects... Is this what you mean?

Posts: 101 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie200:
quote:
She wants the scene set, she wants use of objects or to make known an object is there if it's in the script in BOLD print.

What does this mean? Does it mean you are supposed to use props? Or let her know ahead of the time what objects you are using to substitute for other objects in the scene if you don't have them?

When I hear "setting the scene" I think about arranging the couch, bringing up a purse or food or other objects... Is this what you mean?

I just use my cell phone and sides. I once did a scene with Christy where it said in the sides that I had a DVD in the scene. I didn't bring a dvd and just used the sides as the DVD. She didn't give me any shit for doing that.

Posts: 2134 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie200:
quote:

I just use my cell phone and sides. I once did a scene with Christy where it said in the sides that I had a DVD in the scene. I didn't bring a dvd and just used the sides as the DVD. She didn't give me any shit for doing that.

Thanks for the clarification Truthteller.

Posts: 101 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it was something I skipped over because it was last minute, but the other two actors completely didn't do it either. Then when she reminded the class we all didn't set the scene or show props, everyone else did that. The reason I didn't was because I was still trying to remember my lines. There were 6-7 pages and then she gave me another 6-7 and I didn't get to focus on the action at all.

If it says something like

INT. OFFICE- DAY

Just start the scene as if you're typing at a desk. Me, I just wet right in and started with my top emotion but didn't set the scene.

If it says something such as "He polishes a diamond ring"...show it! Don't skip that, plus, it's in the script, and at my cold reading class I'm taking now, if it's in the script and part of the action that's in the scene being talked about...DO IT!

Posts: 15 | Location: Los Angeles  | Registered: February 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
And we all know its impossible to act without props.

I think this may be an example of when people with no real training confuse a workshop with an acting class. It seems to lead to a lot of confusion about the "right" thing to do when reading a scene. Especially in an audition.

If I were ever cold reading with someone for a job and they handed me a prop in the middle of the scene I'd probably want to beat them to death with it.
CDs are no more teachers than they are film directors and should not be given the latitude to do either.

If an actor gets "in the room" it should be taken as a given that they are a trained professional and will know how to handle the furniture, props, etc once cast, yes?
If they are trying to show what a great "actor" they are in the audition, they have already lost the role.
Perhaps, this habit is symptomatic of people who don't have much experience and are used to constantly trying to prove their "worth" as an actor rather than serving the script, story, scene, character, etc. Just a thought.

Posts: 145 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: April 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post