home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Which CD's Actually call in workshop attendees?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which CD's Actually call in workshop attendees? Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Most working actors I know don't do workshops.

Yes, they don't do them now, but by God they did them when they were new. I know one of the leads from Lost and he went to a bunch when he was starting off. If you are a 'working actor', as in working every day, then why would you need to go to workshops? The casting directors already know who you are and are sending you out.

Posts: 7 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to think that the best way to form relationships with CD's is to produce stuff and then hire them...

Posts: 267 | Location: Midwest | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richie Stephens:
quote:
Most working actors I know don't do workshops.

Yes, they don't do them now, but by God they did them when they were new.

Not necessarily true. I went to only a few, but when a casting director recognized one of the actors in the workshop and said, "What are you doing here, you're a good actor?" That was all I needed to know.

I built my career without workshops, because I don't believe in them. I think they're a racket, and I belive it's beneath an actor's dignity to pay for a meeting, only to be thought less of by the people he's paying.

If you're learning something, then go. If not, don't buy into this mythology. Be patient, save your money, do good work, act where you can. There's no shortcut. There never was. The only thing that changes is the scams aimed at actors who are looking for one.

Michael Kostroff
Creator of the "Audition Psych. 101" workshop (www.auditionpsych101.com)
Author of "Letters from Backstage"

Posts: 499 | Location: New York City | Registered: June 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Michael I agree with you. I went to my last workshop yesterday. CD gave ok info but was disrespectful and rude. Making fun of the actors who weren't in the room! Laughing at their choices. Nothing she said you couldn't learn from an actual class elsewhere. The only thing I got out of the class was that in some CD's minds, daytime TV is superior to everything else. lol. $$ down the drain. Lesson learned.

Posts: 19 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ucantlope:
Michael I agree with you. I went to my last workshop yesterday. CD gave ok info but was disrespectful and rude. Making fun of the actors who weren't in the room! Laughing at their choices. Nothing she said you couldn't learn from an actual class elsewhere. The only thing I got out of the class was that in some CD's minds, daytime TV is superior to everything else. lol. $$ down the drain. Lesson learned.

LMAO! Sounds like you got burned for going to see Marnie Saitta. You probably should've did a search on her demeanor. Ironically for all that's bad about her, she does call in a ton of folks. Including those who have no credits of note. She does give out quite a few breaks to get a network level credit

Got news for you, a lot of the CD's are cool but some maybe not so much. But remember, its business relationships you're looking for, they're not there necessarily to smile, laugh, and be your biggest cheerleader. Some actors seem to get hurt if the CD's don't wanna do coffee or know about your dog Buster at home.

Doesn't take long for the anti workshop crowd to arise every now and again. Some of us as actors are just..(GASP), not that good. Or not as good as the teacher you paid a thousand bucks to and told you that your were "READY". I just wish people would give it a rest, the workshops work for some, and for some their luck aint as good. Maybe they're look or sound didn't attract the CD. Same as attracting the opposite sex.

There's been a few CD's that openly said they weren't crazy about me (my look, or ability) but I wont shit on the whole process. I'm mature enough to know I'm not everybody's type. Then there were some I heard from within days. Its a crapshoot.

Unfortunately most actors don't like to hear crapshoot, they only want sure things.

If you want to do them, great. If you don't, then just don't. There's no guaranteed way to become a full working actor anyway, but there is something called "increasing you're odds. And if you have 15 features on your resume, and none of them were paid by Sony, Universal, or Disney, ect...then I think doing a workshop now again don't hurt

Posts: 345 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:

Got news for you, a lot of the CD's are cool but some maybe not so much. But remember, its business relationships you're looking for, they're not there necessarily to smile, laugh, and be your biggest cheerleader. Some actors seem to get hurt if the CD's don't wanna do coffee or know about your dog Buster at home.

I hear ya. I don't need to have coffee with her. Haha! I don't need hand holding either. I've just decided not to do anymore. I've done a total of 5 now and got called in by 2. Not bad odds but her workshop left a bad taste in my mouth. I really felt bad for the guy who left and couldn't take it. I mean how can you learn anything if you're being belittled? I've always felt a little dirty doing those and I'm glad that she gave me that "push" to stop.

Works for some and not for others. Oh, and daytime rules! Hahaha!

Posts: 19 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
What I don't understand is that if you're good enough to impress a legitimate CD at a workshop, wouldn't that also mean that you're good enough to get referrals to agents, CD's, etc without having to pay them? After all if you're talented, then they want to find you. I guess I've always operated under the philosophy that if you can't get into the room, then you don't belong in the room (yet), and buying your way into the room gets you exactly nothing.

Posts: 80 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ManagerDad:
What I don't understand is that if you're good enough to impress a legitimate CD at a workshop, wouldn't that also mean that you're good enough to get referrals to agents, CD's, etc without having to pay them? After all if you're talented, then they want to find you. I guess I've always operated under the philosophy that if you can't get into the room, then you don't belong in the room (yet), and buying your way into the room gets you exactly nothing.
Not really because a lot of agents are lazy and want credits so unless your hot and young or they need a character person you won't get that referral.

----
just another actor..

Posts: 370 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what point you're making. Why would you care about referrals to/from lazy/bad agents?

Posts: 80 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
Smiler that's funny

ActorinLa.com

Posts: 243 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: March 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ManagerDad:
I'm not sure what point you're making. Why would you care about referrals to/from lazy/bad agents?
"Good" agents can be lazy but don't take that word so seriously. You can use whatever word you want but why would they take you on because you say you are great when they can take your friend that has several credits they got through workshops etc?

----
just another actor..

Posts: 370 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
No agent will take you because you say you're great. But an agent will see you based on a strong referral from someone they respect - maybe a client of theirs or a teacher of yours that has a good reputation. If after auditioning you the agent believes you're castable, they'll take you on. If they don't, they won't. And if that's the case, or if you can't get a referral in the first place, then paying to see a CD won't help you.

I can't really claim much authority in stating this viewpoint, I'm just explaining why I don't understand the concept of paying for what used to be called 'general auditions.' And I couple that with opinions from people like Michael and others who seem to give generally very good advice. It's also how my kid got signed by her agent. Networking and self-producing just seem like really powerful, long-range tools to me. If you've actually advanced your career via workshops, then of course that's significant.

Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think they're a racket, and I belive it's beneath an actor's dignity to pay for a meeting, only to be thought less of by the people he's paying.

Thanks Michael!

Posts: 139 | Location: los angeles | Registered: December 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by actorshelper:
quote:
I think they're a racket, and I belive it's beneath an actor's dignity to pay for a meeting, only to be thought less of by the people he's paying.

Thanks Michael!

I don't do workshops either Michael....it gets REALLY tempting sometimes to say that I will go for a term without acting school and put that money towards workshops.....but in the end I never do it. I would rather spend my money improving my skills

"Its the struggle that makes it great"

Posts: 78 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: August 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
I think what actors also need to remember is that you are paying for one person's opinion and hearing how one CD or agency office works. It is by no means a lesson on 'how the business works.' You are paying to meet someone in the business and hopefully show them some of your talent in a positive light.

When I see the same CD's making the rounds at all the workshop locations (in LA and in NYC), red flags go up for me, and I see them as money makers only for most CD's and agents. Even though I did land a commercial agent in NYC from a workshop a few years ago, I spent a small fortune over a couple years to get to that point.

Just my two cents, which I intend to keep from now on and not give to another CD or agent via a workshop. Many people I respect in the business attained work before the days of workshops and internet, so it still can be done with hard work, perseverance, and be seen doing good work in a reputable venue or media form.

Posts: 495 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post