home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Which CD's Actually call in workshop attendees?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which CD's Actually call in workshop attendees? Login/Join

Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Of course, it's only your fault if you don't do the homework on who the CD actually is at the office. And of course, if you haven't done that small bit of homework, then you shouldn't be at a workshop.

Posts: 84 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Midwest2LA:
I didn't say to disrespect the Assistants, I just said NEVER pay to see them. Huge difference.
Got it! You're so right! I just didn't want others who are learning to get the wrong idea that an associate and/or assistant are not important.

- MIB -
"If you can dream, you can do. Making it happen is up to you!"

Posts: 872 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ManagerDad:
quote:
I always get frustrated when people say crap about workshops---how the flip else are we supposed to get in to see them.

Yes, when potential employers are allowed to charge for job interviews, then the only way to get a job interview will be to pay for one. If employers *aren't* allowed to charge for job interviews, then other ways will become available, because employers have to have a way to find qualified applicants. The only reason this is the only way to see them is because it's allowed. If it weren't allowed, then the CD's would be forced to find other ways to find new actors (which I believe they used to do).

I suppose that's true, but I don't want to let my career pass me by while I'm waiting on the world to change. Sometimes the world isn't ideal. And I've never gone to a workshop that felt like an interview--I suppose some exist, but I usually do intensives where that function more like classes than anything else.

Posts: 73 | Location: LA | Registered: November 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
You're missing the point. For an actor, an audition IS the job interview. So if you're paying to get in front of industry people, you're paying for what would be a job interview in a "normal" profession.

Posts: 27 | Location: Erehwon | Registered: September 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin:
You're missing the point. For an actor, an audition IS the job interview. So if you're paying to get in front of industry people, you're paying for what would be a job interview in a "normal" profession.

This business sadly does not conform to the typical labor laws. In a normal job interview, it is illegal to ask someone's age or ethnicity. Whereas if you don't answer at an audition, you might not get the job.

Hopefully with the merger, the Union can do something about stuff like this.

Posts: 2111 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
In a normal job interview, it is illegal to ask someone's age or ethnicity.

I don't agree that this is a parallel issue. It's only illegal when it's not relevant to the job, which it's not in virtually all cases. For acting it's relevant, and therefore ethical. In contrast, there are no circumstances in which charging for a job interview is ethical.

Posts: 80 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don't agree that this is a parallel issue. It's only illegal when it's not relevant to the job, which it's not in virtually all cases. For acting it's relevant, and therefore ethical. In contrast, there are no circumstances in which charging for a job interview is ethical.

I actually disagree. I remember for a long time Vin Deisel refused to tell people his ethnicity and I totally understand why. There is a huge double standard on who can play who racially. For example, we've seen white actors play everything from "average suburbans" to the Queen of the Nile. White actors don't even have to look like that ethnicity and they get cast. Maybe the producer will tell them to tan or something but, for African Americans, Asians, and many Hispanics, we're automatically put into boxes.

I think it should be illegal to ask ethnicity exactly but we should instead offer ranges of what we could pass for.

Laugh when people try to take you as a fool.

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Totallycool:
quote:
quote:

I actually disagree. I remember for a long time Vin Deisel refused to tell people his ethnicity and I totally understand why. There is a huge double standard on who can play who racially. For example, we've seen white actors play everything from "average suburbans" to the Queen of the Nile. White actors don't even have to look like that ethnicity and they get cast. And before you say that that is the past Look at movies like Prince of Persia. Neither of the leads could pass for Persian on the street. Though those aren't the kind of roles people dream of, it is a multi-million dollar movie that helps elavate everyone involved.
In these cases, maybe the producer will tell them to tan or something but, for African Americans, Asians, and many Hispanics, we're automatically put into boxes.

I think it should be illegal to ask ethnicity exactly but we should instead offer ranges of what we could pass for.

Laugh when people try to take you as a fool.

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Totallycool, well said, and you're completely right. So the relevant question is, "can you portray this role's ethnicity or range of ethnicities?" (AND questioning whether ethnicity matters at all for the role, AND making sure that there isn't an imbalance where you let "white" actors play outside of their "appearance," but not "non-white" actors. (I'm putting things in quotes because I don't think I could define these words.)

I could be convinced that there's rarely a need for a role to be written as a specific ethnicity, and that even if there were, it's about whether you can portray it. So there's never a need to ask the actor's ethnicity. Allow me to stand corrected. Smiler

Posts: 80 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi. I am interesting in getting in touch with Mike Page Casting Director. Does anybody know how to contact to them by Email Or Mail Or Drop box?

Posts: 1 | Location: New York | Registered: November 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Here's a statistic that would be the most interesting: what percentage of actors called in by CD's have done workshops?

My guess is, a very small percentage.

Which raises the question: how are all those OTHER actors getting seen?

Often, I'm guessing, by acting. By doing plays, small films, etc. where they meet other actors and build some reputation. By networking in classes.

Also by mailings. Starting with tiny agencies, getting some rare opportunities, progressing, etc.

Honestly, I'm not sure. But knowing how many actors get called in from workshops is a misleading statistic if in fact most of the people getting called in aren't. Then the question becomes: how are most actors who DO get called in doing that?

Which is really the question people should be asking.

Posts: 27 | Location: Erehwon | Registered: September 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
I like the way you think.

Most working actors I know don't do workshops.

Michael Kostroff
Creator of the "Audition Psych. 101" workshop (www.auditionpsych101.com)
Author of "Letters from Backstage"

Posts: 495 | Location: New York City | Registered: June 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FunNfunny:
Hi. I am interesting in getting in touch with Mike Page Casting Director. Does anybody know how to contact to them by Email Or Mail Or Drop box?

Why? He is a Casting ASSISTANT, NOT a Casting Director nor an Associate.

You're better off targeting Christy Dooley

Posts: 2111 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am with a great agency in their youth department but because I don't have as much credit, I don't get sent out a lot. Plus they represent a lot of people that are more successful than I am so it makes me think they may be putting more attention on them than me.

Do you think that if I go to more CD workshops and put my name out there for my type, I can get some more auditions? I didn't know if the fact that I'm in the union, have a great agent would help with CD workshops and getting their attention.

How else can I add credits?

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marthb89:
I am with a great agency in their youth department but because I don't have as much credit, I don't get sent out a lot. Plus they represent a lot of people that are more successful than I am so it makes me think they may be putting more attention on them than me.

Do you think that if I go to more CD workshops and put my name out there for my type, I can get some more auditions? I didn't know if the fact that I'm in the union, have a great agent would help with CD workshops and getting their attention.

How else can I add credits?

Why not? The agent only does 10% of the work. You also have to promote yourself.