home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Which CD's Actually call in workshop attendees?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which CD's Actually call in workshop attendees? Login/Join

posted
Hi All,

Regardless of the facility since most CD's that conduct workshops make their way around to most facilities, my question is which of these Cd's actually call in the most actors from these workshops? I know Scott David does, but who else is a must see? Who should you not waste your time and money on? I'm trying to maximize and target exposure to worthwhile CD's or associates and minimize the amount of money that get's wasted on useless workshops? Also, which agent workshops are worthwhile and not just used as a measure to pad their own pockets?

So, who has had luck with or heard about Cd's and agents that are a must see and take workshops seriously? Again, facility is unimportant since you can just wait until particular CD's show up at the cheaper facilities.

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GotTheBugAgain:
Hi All,
.............. which of these Cd's actually call in the most actors from these workshops?...............

GotTheBugAgain

I think the real question to ask is "Which actors actually get called in from CD workshops".

Jim

Posts: 112 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
All of the data offered from CD's suggests they regularly call in actors from workshops. The more important question is "How many shows have actually BOOKED a workshop actor?" In a previous post I digested some data published by one of the larger workshop companies and estimated the number at about 1 booking per 125 workshops. At $40 each, thats $5,000 in workshop fees for a co star role. Congrats, the CD made a lot more money on that job than the actor did.

The big workshop facilities post and publish information on actors being called in. If actors didn't get called in, the workshop business would dry up and the CD's would have to go back to casting projects to make money. Shudder the thought.

So, getting called in is great right? You get to audition in the office which is great experience. Many actors tell you that you have to be seen by the same CD's a couple of times before they will cast an unknown. So, between the workshop and the office audition you have seen the CD twice. Maybe when your agent send you in for your third try you have moved to the head of the line.

All of that said I have finally come to the personal decision that I am not going to participate in the workshop scam/illusion any longer. If that means my career progresses slower or doesn't go any further so be it. I will find some other way.

Posts: 43 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
No, I think Gotthebug is posing a legitimate question. Sure, there's always the potential that an actor could blow even the most discerning casting director out of the water. So by that rationale, every casting director can feasibly call people in... but the reality is, some of them just don't. Not even talented working actors, and there are definitely some out there attending workshops.

I would also like to know of any other CDs like Scott David who have a reputation of being more inclined to call in a new face if they did a good job in a workshop.

Posts: 12 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lurker:
quote:
Originally posted by GotTheBugAgain:
Hi All,
.............. which of these Cd's actually call in the most actors from these workshops?...............

GotTheBugAgain

I think the real question to ask is "Which actors actually get called in from CD workshops".

Jim

AGREED!

Dominion always sends out emails of who got called in and/or booked. Normally it's the same actors.

Posts: 1960 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have finally come to the personal decision that I am not going to participate in the workshop scam/illusion any longer. If that means my career progresses slower or doesn't go any further so be it. I will find some other way.

I say amen and hallelujah.

Michael Kostroff
Creator of the "Audition Psych. 101" workshop (www.auditionpsych101.com)
Author of "Letters from Backstage"

Posts: 444 | Location: New York City | Registered: June 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you who doesn't call you in, Casting Assistants. Avoid like the plague. I even saw that two different Asst's were having 3wk workshops (which I think are great if done with a top notch CD), but for an assistant? Come on, now.

Posts: 54 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I always get frustrated when people say crap about workshops---how the flip else are we supposed to get in to see them. And I know people who have been called in and BOOKED from the following CD's (since that was the actual question, people!)

Toddy Sherry, Erica Silverman, April Webster, Ricki Maslar, Stephanie Laffin--I just woke up from a nap (thus the grumpiness at the unhelpful replies) so I'm sure I'll think of some more later.

Posts: 115 | Location: LA | Registered: November 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stephanie Laffin isn't working anymore. Janelle Scuderi is now her replacement for House, but targeting Janelle is pointless for House is supposed to be over.

Posts: 1960 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Midwest2LA:
I'll tell you who doesn't call you in, Casting Assistants. Avoid like the plague. I even saw that two different Asst's were having 3wk workshops (which I think are great if done with a top notch CD), but for an assistant? Come on, now.
I would never downplay the power of a casting assistant/associate. When they see quality work and have been treated with respect and professionalism, they can easily be a stepping stone to the CD they work with. Plus, you never know, they could also become the CD of your next audition, so it is to an actor's benefit and is just common sense to treat every position level in this industry with kindness and respect.

- MIB -
"If you can dream, you can do. Making it happen is up to you!"

Posts: 851 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by novia:
I always get frustrated when people say crap about workshops---how the flip else are we supposed to get in to see them. And I know people who have been called in and BOOKED from the following CD's (since that was the actual question, people!)

Toddy Sherry, Erica Silverman, April Webster, Ricki Maslar, Stephanie Laffin--I just woke up from a nap (thus the grumpiness at the unhelpful replies) so I'm sure I'll think of some more later.

Thank you. This is what I'm after, actual names. I hate having to do workshops too, but in all reality, it's becoming a near necessity these days. I'm just not interested in rewarding assistants, associates, cd's, or agents with my limited funds if they are strictly padding their pockets and never calling in workshop attendees in and/or booking them. And yes, I do understand that not everyone can get called in, and we as actors must give a great read.

So yes, more names people. If we've got to reward these people with our money, let's reward those that reward us.

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Lurker has mentioned, it's not so much names that are important, it's how good YOU are and whether your type is right for what they're currently casting. Part of who gets called in is based on TIMING as well. If the CDs aren't casting projects or getting roles that have someone like your type, then they can't bring you in regardless of how good you were.

YOU have to make a list of your favorite shows or shows your type are actually right for and target those CDs. They may or may not call you in. But regardless of that, they now know you thus making it easier for your agent to pitch you.

For sure, there are some CDs who do workshops that you should avoid. If a simple IMDB search shows that they cast mostly indies and non union shit like Sunny Boling, Meg Mormann, Ty Harman, Andy Henry, Twinkie Byrd, Jeff Hardwick, to name a few, then save your $40+ for a CD who is actually important.

The main importance of CD workshops is GETTING ON THEIR RADAR! You CAN'T go to those expecting to get cast or brought in.

Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always get frustrated when people say crap about workshops---how the flip else are we supposed to get in to see them.

Yes, when potential employers are allowed to charge for job interviews, then the only way to get a job interview will be to pay for one. If employers *aren't* allowed to charge for job interviews, then other ways will become available, because employers have to have a way to find qualified applicants. The only reason this is the only way to see them is because it's allowed. If it weren't allowed, then the CD's would be forced to find other ways to find new actors (which I believe they used to do).

Posts: 74 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mominbiz:
quote:
I would never downplay the power of a casting assistant/associate. When they see quality work and have been treated with respect and professionalism, they can easily be a stepping stone to the CD they work with. Plus, you never know, they could also become the CD of your next audition, so it is to an actor's benefit and is just common sense to treat every position level in this industry with kindness and respect.

I didn't say to disrespect the Assistants, I just said NEVER pay to see them. Huge difference.

Posts: 54 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mominbiz:
quote:

I think the biggest frustration is the dishonesty of some CD Workshop facilities. They say they're going to have the CD of some major office, but when you get there, it's an assistant who really doesn't do anything and has little to show resume wise.

Some examples are Sarah Tirado who's often billed by some CD workshops as a CD for Bold and the Beautiful and Mike Page who is commonly billed as a CD for Criminal Minds. Why would you waste your money on these ASSISTANTS when you can see Christy Dooley (Bold and the Beautiful) and Scott David (Criminal Minds) themselves?